Brad, what's taking so long?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
3? Its more like 20 if p8 gets his wish.

MasonEE

Recruit
I said let PH finish this season. I dislike PH, but I also do not want to turn potential candidates off because unclassic act from the university. IOM, attracting a good coach out weight the one about to let go.

Irish44j

Sixth Man
I said let PH finish this season. I dislike PH, but I also do not want to turn potential candidates off because unclassic act from the university. IOM, attracting a good coach out weight the one about to let go.

I agree fully with this sentiment.

......Not at all.

Cut bait now. There are 11 days until the next "real" game. Plenty of time for whatever interim coach to organize his paperwork and design a few plays. Then the whole half of the season to find a coach to hire as soon as his team's season ends, so he has the whole summer to assemble a staff and recruit.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer

The other side of the coin is what waiting until the end of the season to fire Hewitt communicates. A potential candidate could say "Do I really want to work for such a financially unsound organization that paid a coach an extra $85,000 to play out the stretch?"

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
On the Junkies this morning, Lurch mentioned that he attended the DePaul @ GW game last night (he was sitting just behind me). He said how athletic DePaul is but how poorly coached they are (that sounds familiar.....). Then one of the other Junks asked, "who is worse, Oliver Purnell or Paul Hewitt?" Feinstein and the Junks went with Purnell who's Big East record at DePaul is something like 9-53.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
On the Junkies this morning, Lurch mentioned that he attended the DePaul @ GW game last night (he was sitting just behind me). He said how athletic DePaul is but how poorly coached they are (that sounds familiar.....). Then one of the other Junks asked, "who is worse, Oliver Purnell or Paul Hewitt?" Feinstein and the Junks went with Purnell who's Big East record at DePaul is something like 9-53.
I would take Purnell over The Fluffer of Fairfax.

wijg

Starter
So it is sort of dead on here today, which gave me time to day dream. I was thinking about the logical points when Hewitt could be fired this year. Not that there was ever a significant chance that it happened mid-season, it is still satisfying to ponder.

If we had lost the Catawba game, that could have been an opportunity for BE to fire Hewitt, but we performed as would be expected of a D1 team putting a hurt on a D2 team. So, that opportunity is lost. Looking at the schedule going forward, I don't see a defining game or time frame when there would be a logical point to pull the trigger. I wouldn't think you would do it right before we start conference play.

So, I'd say any hope of a mid-season firing is gone at this point (unless he gets caught with some weed at practice). So, we are stuck with him at least until near the end (to avoid the stupidity bonus) or until the season is completely over.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Since becoming AD on July 1, Brad Edwards has hired a young, well-respected UVA assistant as the lacrosse head coach (the previous coach resigned before he was hired) and accepted the resignations of the head coaches for women's volleyball & women's soccer.

While I don't expect Paul Hewitt to resign, I don't believe that Edwards will accept mediocrity in the men's basketball program.

wijg

Starter
Since becoming AD on July 1, Brad Edwards has hired a young, well-respected UVA assistant as the lacrosse head coach (the previous coach resigned before he was hired) and accepted the resignations of the head coaches for women's volleyball & women's soccer.

While I don't expect Paul Hewitt to resign, I don't believe that Edwards will accept mediocrity in the men's basketball program.

Pablo, your post seemed to be in response to mine. I was not implying Hewitt would likely be retained after this year (though I think there is a non-zero probability that he is retained).

So I was wondering, is the highlighted part of your post implying you think BE will be gone mid-season or just emphasizing that you think BE won't hesitate to address the situation at the end of the season?

Also, did you get a chance you were hoping for to talk to BE at the Catawba game?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Pablo, your post seemed to be in response to mine. I was not implying Hewitt would likely be retained after this year (though I think there is a non-zero probability that he is retained).

So I was wondering, is the highlighted part of your post implying you think BE will be gone mid-season or just emphasizing that you think BE won't hesitate to address the situation at the end of the season?
Also, did you get a chance you were hoping for to talk to BE at the Catawba game?

I wasn't responding to your post but, rather, the resignation of the women's soccer coach. And, while I will be upset if Hewitt earns another longevity bonus on March 1, I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes the season.

I didn't bet a chance to speak to Edwards, but I was glad that he & his wife attended.