Best arenas in the A-10?

GMU What

Four-star Recruit
Since we started playing the conference portion of our schedule, i've been comparing other a-10 schools and their arenas to the Pat Center. I was wondering who has some of the best courts in the conference?

Dayton seems to have a nice arena, the ncaa sure seems to love it as we see every march. vcu has an intimate, intense atmosphere. I'd have to rank patriot center somewhere in the mid-to-lower section of the conference, its size seems to be both an advantage and disadvantage.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
The size of the Pat Dome is definitely a disadvantage...atmosphere would be a lot better if there were around 7,000 seats instead.

The Mullins Center at UMass, Chaifetz Arena at St. Louis, and Dayton Arena are comparable in size to the Patriot Center. Chaifetz Arena is fairly new and seems really nice. Dayton has a great atmosphere when they fill that place up, and it's great during the NCAA tournament, as you mentioned.

vcu has a great atmosphere. So does St. Joes, Fordham, and LaSalle when they pack their gyms because of their intimate size. Fordham's Rose Hill Gymnasium is pretty historic and has seen its fair share of star players and celebrity fans come through.

Richmond just renovated Robins Center with some new video boards and a few other things, pretty nice arena now.

The Ryan Center at URI is my favorite because of its design and size.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Didn't St Joe's just finish a renovation recently as well?
GW did three years ago.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Didn't St Joe's just finish a renovation recently as well?
GW did three years ago.

Isn't the Patriot Center in the midst of a painfully slow phase II of a renovation that started in 2006? Who knows when they'll get authorization to replace the roof and I think Phase II is more behind the scenes type stuff than phase I.

Are we talking about architecture/amenities or atmosphere?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Isn't the Patriot Center in the midst of a painfully slow phase II of a renovation that started in 2006? Who knows when they'll get authorization to replace the roof and I think Phase II is more behind the scenes type stuff than phase I.

Isn't the roof due for a replacement in 2015? 30 year life?

OP
GMU What

GMU What

Four-star Recruit

Are they planning on replacing the roof? That would be a huge upgrade because they could finally put in a scoreboard with video boards. Although I'd rather see the seats rearranged and upgraded before anything else.

I think good arenas combine a certain degree of electric atmosphere with the overall architectural design(inside and out).

PDGL Hoops

Starter
If we don't break out of this funk we will be able to fit anyone who attends a game comfortably in the PE Building. I wish our place held 7500 people - would be perfect size for the Fairfax crowd and look a lot better on TV!

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The roof absolutely is being replaced, and a video scoreboard will accompany it. The project has been bogged down in the Virginia government contracting process.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
The roof absolutely is being replaced, and a video scoreboard will accompany it. The project has been bogged down in the Virginia government contracting process.

But, how soon do we see a new video scoreboard after the new roof is put in place? These things tend to take the AD longer then they should.

Dawgs99

Starter
We're obviously not getting a new arena, so what do you guys think should/need to be done to pat center to make it more fan friendly/better atmosphere? I really like what Richmond did with their place. Personally I hate the seats and color scheme, i'd like to have the upgraded seats in the lower bowl of the Richmond Coliseum....they were much bigger and more comfortable.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Not sure how much they could do that they haven't already done, minus getting a new roof/scoreboard. Any major changes to the seating bowl would be pointless, might as well build a new arena.

Win more games = more fans in the seats = better atmosphere

Dawgs99

Starter
I meant from a construction stand point.......we won under L and attendance still sucked. Ribbon LCD's on the front were the sound meter is now would look nice. new sounds system is a must.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree, a new sound system is a must but it's not coming until the new roof and new scoreboard come in a few years.

OP
GMU What

GMU What

Four-star Recruit
I meant from a construction stand point.......we won under L and attendance still sucked. Ribbon LCD's on the front were the sound meter is now would look nice. new sounds system is a must.
Yeah but remember the atmosphere with that 2010-2011 team? Especially the last few games, the pat center was getting LOUD. Who knew that a game against northeastern could be so electric? Makes me sad to think about now.
And that was before the scoreboard/entrance board upgrades which do very little for me. Guess I should be thankful for the venue we have, it's not terrible. But I hate seeing empty seats in the corners and up to the rafters on tv and pics, pat center is too big.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah but remember the atmosphere with that 2010-2011 team? Especially the last few games, the pat center was getting LOUD. Who knew that a game against northeastern could be so electric? Makes me sad to think about now.
And that was before the scoreboard/entrance board upgrades which do very little for me. Guess I should be thankful for the venue we have, it's not terrible. But I hate seeing empty seats in the corners and up to the rafters on tv and pics, pat center is too big.

Keep in mind the Patriot Center isn't just a basketball arena, but actually one of the busiest medium-sized arena venues in the country. Is it too big for the interest our students, alums and community have in basketball? Probably. But not for concerts, the circus, Disney on Ice, WWE or MMA events.

Unless the university makes the Patriot Center just an entertainment/cultural venue and builds a new Bball only arena I don't think you will ever see us go smaller.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
Yup GMUgemini is correct, here are some facts.

In 2010, the Patriot Center was ranked No. 7 nationwide and No. 12 worldwide according to ticket sales for venues with capacities between 10,001 and 15,000 by trade publication Venues Today. Also in 2010, the Patriot Center was ranked No. 8 nationwide and No. 18 worldwide according to top grossing venues with a capacity between 10,001 and 15,000 by Billboard magazine.[