GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
A-10 won't change Barclays dates
  • Andy Katz [ARCHIVE]
  • ESPN.com | March 14, 2014
The A-10 won't move the days of its conference tournament at the Barclays Center for the ACC in 2017, the final year of its agreement with the arena in Brooklyn, unless it gets a deal with the ACC that could include a non-conference scheduling agreement, a source with direct knowledge told ESPN Friday.

Sports Illustrated reported Friday that the ACC was close to finalizing a deal with the Barclays for a two-year deal that would begin in 2017 after the ACC goes to Greensboro, N.C., in 2015 and Washington, D.C., in 2016.

The source said the Barclays hasn't approached the A-10 about shortening its deal and the A-10 would not get out of the deal early. But the source said the A-10 is open to negotiating a deal with the ACC that would keep the A-10 at the Barclays Center the same week as the ACC, in addition to a non-conference scheduling agreement with the two conferences (A-10 and then ACC in the same week).

The source said the A-10 is not going to pack up and leave the Barclays or give up the weekend dates unless there is a deal beneficial to the league. The A-10 would also be open to a similar deal with the Big Ten about Championship Week at the Barclays.

A Big Ten official told ESPN earlier in the season that the Big Ten would have an East Coast rotation for its tournament in later years, with the additions of Rutgers and Maryland, with the possible destinations being New York or Washington, D.C.

The A-10 is also looking at sites for 2018 and beyond and is open to moving its tournament around, possibly returning to the Philadelphia area or Washington, D.C.

Multiple ACC sources said the league is well aware of the A-10's deal with the Barclays and that no deal has been signed. The ACC sources said the league's athletic directors were expected to be updated at the spring meetings in May.

The ACC would like to get into Madison Square Garden, but MSG has a deal with the Big East through 2026, according to SI.

A source with connections to MSG told ESPN during the season that the arena would love to have the Big East and the ACC in the same week but that would mean having the Big East move earlier in the week, a move that is unlikely to occur

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I like the idea of getting some kind of scheduling agreement with the ACC.

And the according to Andy Katz, the A10 has scouted the Verizon Center as a possible tourney site.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What could the scheduling agreement entail? Would it require home and homes to be set up? That'd be pretty cool to force that on them.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I dont get all the jumping around. Is their a huge benefit beyond the local community? Having the acc tourney down the street basically, gets everyone in the area excited about bball. Unless your a mason alum living amongst all these wanna be duke unc alums its a bum time. wake alums, well you can tell they are real alums and can sympathsize with them.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What could the scheduling agreement entail? Would it require home and homes to be set up? That'd be pretty cool to force that on them.

That basically means wed be playing a week earlier and the acc keeps their traditional date of finishing on selection sunday. Id rather say f off to acc and do a deal with the big ten. One that would create a monoply on dc, philly, nyc venues and force acc south.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I like the idea of getting some kind of scheduling agreement with the ACC.

And the according to Andy Katz, the A10 has scouted the Verizon Center as a possible tourney site.
What a conference commissioner with forsight and thinking ahead!!! That's preposterous!!

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What a conference commissioner with forsight and thinking ahead!!! That's preposterous!!
No kidding. Some other great scheduling arrangements, IMO:

Indiana wanted to host Southern Illinois in football for their Homecoming Weekend. SIU took less $$ in exchange for Indiana scheduling a true road game in basketball that year.

vcu's home-and-home game buy-out policy when a coach leaves for a bigger school, having had home games with Oklahoma and Alabama.

Maryland brought in Delaware for a football game and part of the arrangement was that UMD's women's basketball team and to play at Delaware the following season.

One missed opportunity I can remember was GW back in the '05-'06 season when they were ranked in the top 10. They were scheduled to play at NC State the week between Christmas and New Years. The NC State football team was scheduled to play in a bowl game on the same day and NC State asked GW to move the game. Then GW AD (and former Mason AD) Jack Kvancz agreed to the change without anything in return. Many GW fans were livid that they weren't getting more $$ or a future home game with NC State.

While I'm not sure we'd see true home-and-home series set up with ACC schools, I could see neutral site doubleheaders with the ACC

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
vcu's home-and-home game buy-out policy when a coach leaves for a bigger school, having had home games with Oklahoma and Alabama.

Negotiation between Hewitt and O'Connor, April 2011

TOC: If you leave for a top program you must agree to give us a home and home game.
Hewitt: Ok but you must agree to give me a retention bonus of 10% every year on March 1.
TOC: Deal!
Hewitt: And I also agree that if offered a ride on one of the space shuttles for an extended space trip I will decline. But you have to agree to not fire me even if I fail to get a pre-preseason Top 25 team in a post season tournament and if later I can't even win a play in game.
TOC: Deal!
Hewitt: Just curious, if I completely destroy George Mason Basketball, will I get fired?
TOC: I did and I am still employed. Ha ha ha ha
Hewitt: Ha ha ha ha