2024 Homecoming only 18 days away?!

Yossarian

Sixth Man
Crazy to see this, but homecoming is only 2 1/2 weeks away! From what I can see, registration isn’t even open yet. Hopefully it all comes together in time, but mark your calendars for Saturday, January 27th!

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Is it bad when a local alum like me that has probably been to 250-300 home games has to Google it to even get the date the month of?

Hint: it is
I tried sending the registration information to my fraternity brothers yesterday and saw they don't even have the time of the tailgate listed/registration open. Somehow it gets worse every year.

I'll continue to beat the drum for the indoor tailgate, which they only created by accident but ran with for a few years. I contacted school two years ago and they used covid as an excuse for not bringing it back yet, but clearly that was BS.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Pretty insane that this is about 2 weeks out and not only is registration not open yet, but I haven’t seen a single promotion or other marketing materials from the school to build up excitement/encourage people to come.

I’ve always had a great time at the HC tailgate and wish the school could figure out how to properly market and support at least a few others at a smaller scale during the season. They tried a few years ago but there wasn’t much to it and then it just stopped if I recall correctly, hard to create a tradition/routine without consistency.

OP
Yossarian

Yossarian

Sixth Man
Yeah- I’m concerned with the timeline. Awareness of this year’s event is near zero, so I hope there is capacity for a lot of day-of event ticket sales. Participation will almost certainly be lower than average because of the poor communication plan.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Pretty insane that this is about 2 weeks out and not only is registration not open yet, but I haven’t seen a single promotion or other marketing materials from the school to build up excitement/encourage people to come.

I’ve always had a great time at the HC tailgate and wish the school could figure out how to properly market and support at least a few others at a smaller scale during the season. They tried a few years ago but there wasn’t much to it and then it just stopped if I recall correctly, hard to create a tradition/routine without consistency.
Pretty much all of the non-HC tailgates we've had in the last 15 years were Andy Ruge one-man shows

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You know what would make this easier? Just make a tailgate lot and let fans tailgate for every game if they want.
Its hard when the weather is crappy the majority of basketball season to allow this or get folks on board.

That said, they could definitely try expanding "Gameday festivities" to include food trucks or something, more than just Homecoming.

Really disappointing there hasn't been much marketing or advertising of Homecoming. Usually the "application" to tailgate is always up by now. Maybe because they are just getting back to the office from break its delayed? Sounds so stupid and inexcusable but knowing Mason thats probably the reason, someone who does it is on vacation still lol.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is total nonsense and their lamest excuse for not doing them more often.

I agree. My dad is a Penn State alum and my uncle lives in State College, PA with season tickets for 30 years and they dragged me up there late season to tailgate in 25 degree weather and snowing (keeping in mind we were traveling from Miami and we’d almost always go up Thanksgiving weekend and it was almost always freezing cold).

Anyway the point is if you don’t make such a big deal about it, make reasonable rules about where you can and can’t tailgate and what you can and can’t do and let it grow organically and don’t try to mess around with it. They’re always trying to insert themselves into things when they shouldn’t.

I tried sending the registration information to my fraternity brothers yesterday and saw they don't even have the time of the tailgate listed/registration open. Somehow it gets worse every year.

I'll continue to beat the drum for the indoor tailgate, which they only created by accident but ran with for a few years. I contacted school two years ago and they used covid as an excuse for not bringing it back yet, but clearly that was BS.

Yeah I mean I have very little motivation to try any more plus most of my fraternity brothers are dead or in prison or I'm pretty sure on Epsteins list.

I mean I'll pull up I guess with some beer when I figure out when and how and then maybe get kicked out of OH George

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yea, absolutely the worst lack of communication for this year's Homecoming in a while. Truly unacceptable.

I guess we can all try and pepper Marvin with emails asking them to release info on Homecoming.

KAOriginal

All-American
"Homecoming" falls into the very definition of a "privilege" party.

Of course Mason will continue to avoid and down play it.

:sneaky: