2015-2016 Lineup

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Some posters and I were discussing our team's potential next year at the last home game and we all had some interesting takes on what our projected line-up and potential record could be next year WITH a new coach. A coach that can actually coach and have his systems in place. If Hewitt is around next year then we will have another 3 win year in the A-10, if that. One poster here thinks we have the potential to go 10-6 in the A-10 next year. This is with a new coach in place and no one transfers and with Mayimba on the active roster.

The A-10 will be much better next year all around compared to this year. vcu will be good, Rhode Island will be scary good and both teams will probably crack the Top 25. It also seems these teams like Dayton, UMASS, GW, Richmond, St. Joes (Bembry is only a Sophomore!), and St. Bonny will be improved and reloaded. Too much talent for us to knock off with no proven scorers in our backcourt. Teams will double Thompson and make our Guards beat them.

Therefore, with all of these elements in place, I see us being a little better next year but not much. 10-6 in the A-10 is a bit too many wins in my mind. I see us winning 6-7 games if all of the following items happen:

With another year with proper instruction from good coaches I think Thompson, Holloway, Moore, Porter, and Jackson all will be better on both sides of the ball. Another year learning with and from each other and learning their likes and dislikes and creating team chemistry will only help these guys. However, the problems I see us facing is the lack of a pure shooter and scorer. Our backcourt cannot consistently score. We need to ask ourselves.... Can Holloway finally deliver consistent scoring and learn to pass the ball? Can Moore consistently score 15 points a game and play defense? The lack of a pure 3 point threat and shooter is going to doom us yet again next year.

The question marks:

Jenkins - We have no idea if Jenkins will regress even more or if he will thrive under a new coach and finally learn not to travel with the ball and take controlled shots. He is an X factor when he wants to be.

Gilbert - Granted he even stays, he will be a true Freshman. He will need to learn a brand new system and will he even be a big scoring threat right away??? The odds are not very likely.

Jackson - Seems he will be our next 3 point threat outside of Holloway. He is shooting 31% from the floor and behind the arc. He definetely needs to work on his shot and with proper coaching there is no way but up for this kid.

Lockett/Mayimba - Have no idea what we are going to get with these guys. Lockett is known for his Defense rather than his scoring ability. Mayimba is supposed to be a do it all type of offensive threat, but can he deliver and learn what shots to take and when not to take them?

Our next coaching staff will need to work miracles on the recruiting front and need to learn we need to recruit shooters and scorers in this league and then Coach the hell out of them to play defense. If we can recruit some shooters in the next couple years then we can start to turn around our nucleus.

Based off that, here is where I see our starting lineup going in to next season:

PG - Moore, Tate/CJ Jackson
SG - Holloway, Lockett, Gilbert
G/F - I. Jackson, Mayimba
F - Jenkins, Marko/Royal
C - Thompson, Porter

Looking at this lineup they have some work to do to produce 70+ points a game. The X factor is to see if Jenkins continues to develop and if he will be an offensive threat at the 4. If not, the coaches can implement Porter/Marko at the 4 and just go big or move Mayimba over to the 4. I think Mayimba is a true 3 and plays exactly like Jenkins.... more of a face-up, drive to the basket guy rather than post up in the paint kinda guy.

I think it is going to be a train wreck trying to get Mayimba, Lockett, Jackson, Marko, and Jenkins enough playing time and seeing where they fit in exactly to these coaches schemes and currently seems as if it is going to be a clusterfuuck. I don't see Royal being any part of relevant in our system next year unless one of these guys gets injured or leaves.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Have to play lockdown defense, which you should be able to do with a lineup of something like Moore, Mayimba, Jackson, Jenkins and Thompson. How that team works offensively is anyone's guess.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
6 conference wins and 10 - 12 overall with our current roster sounds about right for next year with a new coach. I don't see 10 - 6 happening, our players are limited in too many ways. 10 of our 18 losses so far are by 10 points or more. An additional 3 losses are by 7 - 9 points so we really haven't been very competitive at all. Paul "Rid-X" Hewitt has created quite the mess in Fairfax. With great new coach it's going to take 2 - 3 years before we'll be relevant.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Mayimba - Mayimba is supposed to be a do it all type of offensive threat, but can he deliver and learn what shots to take and when not to take them?.

Does anyone have any information on Mayimba? Will he ever be found eligible? The NCAA sure screwed the pooch on this one.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Hard to project anything until we know who is definitely coming back, but I think an expectation of 6 conference wins is reasonable no matter who the new coach is.

Even Bozo has 3 wins now. Throw in the game we blew against Davidson, give us the 4-point home loss to UMass and the 4-point road loss to Saint Joe's -- we absolutely collapsed over the final 4 minutes in both games -- and that is 6 wins right there.

With the expanded 18-game conference schedule, we get 9 home games. We should expect to win at least 6 unless Thompson, Jenkins and Moore all transfer and the new coach has to fill those spots with freshmen.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Does anyone have any information on Mayimba? Will he ever be found eligible? The NCAA sure screwed the pooch on this one.

No new info, but based on similar cases, partial qualifiers typically have no further eligibility issues with the NCAA as long as they continue to make satisfactory academic progress.

Everything I've heard is that Mayimba is doing very well in the classroom, so unless he transfers, I'd expect to see him suiting up in green and gold next season.

God knows we need him.

wijg

Starter
Gilbert - Granted he even stays, he will be a true Freshman. He will need to learn a brand new system and will he even be a big scoring threat right away??? The odds are not very likely.
I think Gilbert might have a fighting chance to make a splash right away. All the guys will have to learn a system (I didn't say new system as that implies we have one right now). He won't have to unlearn whatever Hewitt has done to the others. That gives him a potential leg up...

Pablo

Hall of Famer
No new info, but based on similar cases, partial qualifiers typically have no further eligibility issues with the NCAA as long as they continue to make satisfactory academic progress.

Is he a partial qualifier or a non-qualifier?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Is he a partial qualifier or a non-qualifier?

Good question. I was assuming "partial" because we never heard anything about the NCAA questioning his test scores -- just the validity of his transcript prior to coming over from Gabon -- and because he's been allowed to practice with the team.

I could be wrong, obviously.

Even if he was ruled a non-qualifier, I think the NCAA awards a 4th year of eligibility to student-athletes who earn degrees by the end of their fourth year on campus.

Considering all the summer work these guys put in, that's not an unreasonable expectation.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Good question. I was assuming "partial" because we never heard anything about the NCAA questioning his test scores -- just the validity of his transcript prior to coming over from Gabon -- and because he's been allowed to practice with the team.

I could be wrong, obviously.

Even if he was ruled a non-qualifier, I think the NCAA awards a 4th year of eligibility to student-athletes who earn degrees by the end of their fourth year on campus.

Considering all the summer work these guys put in, that's not an unreasonable expectation.

If he's practicing with the team, then he would have to be a partial qualifier. Has anyone verified that he's doing so?

JamesMason

Preferred Walk-On
Everything I've heard is that Mayimba is doing very well in the classroom, so unless he transfers, I'd expect to see him suiting up in green and gold next season.

God knows we need him.

Don't see how he's here next year if Hewitt isn't, wouldn't he not have to sit out if he transferred because he didn't play this year?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Don't see how he's here next year if Hewitt isn't, wouldn't he not have to sit out if he transferred because he didn't play this year?

No, he'd still have to sit if he transferred to another D-I school.

The NCAA eligibility clock started as soon as he enrolled in classes, and he's already burned his redshirt year.

Doesn't mean he won't decide to transfer, obviously, but he'll have to give up a year of eligibility to do so.