• SaquanSingletonCommitted.jpg
    SaquanSingletonCommitted.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 25,708

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Welcome to Saquan. My understanding is that he will be versatile and help out in the backcourt. He is a nice piece. His experience will also help. We're in win now mode, and bringing in another experienced senior with Gaines/Cooper/Oduro will only help.

Now we need Nnaji and a PG (hopefully Rudi Williams).

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I watched a few games from Saquan’s junior year at New Mexico this morning. The first thing that jumped out was he’s a really good passer, found a couple free guys underneath for easy buckets and fed the post well. Josh will love him. He ran point a lot and attacked the rim, he’s not a spot up shooter. He can no doubt play the 1 through 3 for us. I don’t know if he’s big enough to play the 4 - my guess is it’s similar to Ticket. He could do it at times vs certain teams, but I just didn’t see him in that role for the Lobos.

He is very long and his euro step covers a lot of ground. When you think about him replacing one of our guards from last year like Hartwell, we are literally adding like 9 inches at that spot. His free throw form looks ok, it’s not ugly, so not sure what’s going on there.

We will have incredible depth at the guard positions. I feel like if we didn’t land another PG for next season, we would be ok with Saquan… but we would still be better with Rudi.

Coach talked about not having enough guys to really go at it in practice last year. That will definitely not be the case at guard this year. It’s going to be a battle every day. I haven’t seen a roster from us where we had so many possible starters at 1 through 3.

Not panicking yet with two more scholarships open, but wondering what the plan is at 4/5? We got Josh, Henry, Jones, Peter, with Ticket and Saquan possibly helping out at the 4. I don’t think that’s enough. I’m not expecting any minutes from Peter. So it’s Henry and Jones. Even if we land Elvis, not sure how many minutes he would be able to give year one.

Saquan definitely makes us better team next year.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If anyone has footage that you can share, please do. I found clips that are mostly old.

In general, I too agree that this is replacing some guard depth like a Hartwell or even an Otis Frazier. He'll give some minutes at various positions including a few minutes at point. I'm not sure if hes going to play 25-30 minutes a game, but if he comes in and gives that solid 8-12 that we lacked last year, more than fine. Maybe some games more, some games less.

I heard that his toughness is what the staff likes and we can surely use it. Whether its him being willing to do a nasty dunk or make a key energy play etc, we could use a guy like that especially with his experience.

Solid pickup. I like it. Now they need to go out and finish off with a PG and Nnaji and that would be a good offseason. Should we get Rudi and NNaji I will have to raise my expectation appropriately, because we will have a lot of experience on the team.

Hes also from the Bronx. The last kid who played basketball in the Bronx for Mason ended up being pretty good, Jalen Jenkins. And yes, I know it says Jenkins was born in Brooklyn, but he played his ball in the Bronx so thats my point here.

Last edited:

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Here are a couple full games from his junior season. Saquan was #2. The competition was not good, but I like full games over highlights to really see the full picture of how they play: