Welcome Josh Oduro

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That’s only because it didn’t go well for him.

I agree above. No one knows what he’s going to do, maybe not even him.
Looks like current GW and former Saint Joe's assistant, Brenden Straughn, is headed to Syracuse as an assistant. Lots of chatter on the Syracuse and SJU boards about Straughn bringing James Bishop with him, which makes sense.

But there's also speculation about the 'Cuse getting Oduro for a year. Staughn knows Josh through Team Takeover, right? I guess it wouldn't be crazy. I've thought Josh might want to use his last year to play for a P5 team, but damn. Still hard to imagine him in anything but green and gold.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Looks like current GW and former Saint Joe's assistant, Brenden Straughn, is headed to Syracuse as an assistant. Lots of chatter on the Syracuse and SJU boards about Straughn bringing James Bishop with him, which makes sense.
I'm not sure if it makes sense. Is not Bishop currently a Senior? Has he not already used his "free" transfer to play at GW? If Bishop does transfer again then wouldn't he have to sit out a season? Or, does the graduate transfer rule give a player another "free" transfer option? These transfer rules are driving me mad.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not sure if it makes sense. Is not Bishop currently a Senior? Has he not already used his "free" transfer to play at GW? If Bishop does transfer again then wouldn't he have to sit out a season? Or, does the graduate transfer rule give a player another "free" transfer option? These transfer rules are driving me mad.
Grad transfers don’t have to sit even if they transferred once before. Of course the NCAA is giving waivers to almost every multiple transfer anyhow so …

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Grad transfers don’t have to sit even if they transferred once before. Of course the NCAA is giving waivers to almost every multiple transfer anyhow so …

Yes because they have had to have graduated with a degree conferred and be actual graduate students. The idea being, I guess, is they aren’t really “transferring” they are continuing their education somewhere else.

So if Bishop graduated from GW he could grad transfer anywhere without penalty. If he didn’t, he should technically have to sit out a year (but as you said they’re handing out waivers like the rules don’t exist anyway).

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

But there's also speculation about the 'Cuse getting Oduro for a year. Staughn knows Josh through Team Takeover, right? I guess it wouldn't be crazy. I've thought Josh might want to use his last year to play for a P5 team, but damn. Still hard to imagine him in anything but green and gold.
Ugh...I'd have a tough time seeing Oduro go to Syracuse. As an upstate NYer I used to root for Syracuse, but have lost my zeal for the Orange since becoming a Mason fan. Hoping this is inaccurate speculation.

A good deal of my 'Cuse dislike resulted from an offhand comment from a cousin of mine. After watching a pre-2006 Mason team get yet another win in the Patriot Center, we postgamed somewhere to watch a Syracuse game. "Let's go watch some real basketball" he quipped. That P5 fan attitude made me enjoy Mason's FF run even more. Stay one more year Josh - help lead GMU back to March Madness!

Last edited:

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
There are widespread rumors that Straughn is bringing an unnamed transfer with TTO ties with him. No one knows who. Erik Reynolds is also a guy that fits the description...

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
There are widespread rumors that Straughn is bringing an unnamed transfer with TTO ties with him. No one knows who. Erik Reynolds is also a guy that fits the description...
Makes too much sense not to be Reynolds. He and Judah Mintz would be a big-time backcourt for Adrian Autry to build with — and Straughn is the reason Reynolds picked Saint Joe’s in the first place.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Makes too much sense not to be Reynolds. He and Judah Mintz would be a big-time backcourt for Adrian Autry to build with — and Straughn is the reason Reynolds picked Saint Joe’s in the first place.
I would have thought so as well, but the Saint Joe's crowd seems convinced that the player Straughn's bringing isn't Reynolds. If Reynold's was the player, I think a couple of their posters who are well-connected would know about it and would be bitching about Straughn's treachery.

Now, that hasn't stopped the 'Cuse fans from speculating that it IS Reynolds. ER's a talent and has got to have LOTS of P5 connections whispering in his ear right now. Josh too, I'm afraid.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Too many offers on table....

If he was simply weighing offers he would have put himself in the portal already (doesn’t preclude him from coming back). The longer he takes to decide the harder it will become to pull the trigger (that’s usually the way it works anyway).

Reading the tea leaves: the staff offering so many forwards, though, seems like they are at least hedging their bets or are expecting one of Jones or Oduro or both to leave.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If he was simply weighing offers he would have put himself in the portal already (doesn’t preclude him from coming back). The longer he takes to decide the harder it will become to pull the trigger (that’s usually the way it works anyway).

Reading the tea leaves: the staff offering so many forwards, though, seems like they are at least hedging their bets or are expecting one of Jones or Oduro or both to leave.
Let's hear it for the Aussie!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Yes if Josh was considering a transfer, I have to believe he’d be in the portal by now. It’s stay or go pro. Probably putting out feelers trying to figure out how much he can expect to make overseas so he can compare it to his NIL deal.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes if Josh was considering a transfer, I have to believe he’d be in the portal by now. It’s stay or go pro. Probably putting out feelers trying to figure out how much he can expect to make overseas so he can compare it to his NIL deal.
He might make lots more if he stays and has a monster year. His injuries are probably what kept him from starting stronger this year.

KAOriginal

All-American
Well....he's not going to put in till he's sure Miami is a done deal and that won't happen till after Miami is finished... Alot of NIL cash down there...

I kid, I kid. But their cheerleaders are scrumptious...