Welcome Josh Oduro

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Naturally Josh's name comes up in this POY discussion:

I realize they point out that nearly every POY came from a top four team, but that's still feels like a really arbitrary line in the sand despite some data to back it up. Especially if Josh finishes the year as top scorer and we were 0-3 without him and like 8-2 with him.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I realize they point out that nearly every POY came from a top four team, but that's still feels like a really arbitrary line in the sand despite some data to back it up. Especially if Josh finishes the year as top scorer and we were 0-3 without him and like 8-2 with him.

I think it’s not understanding correlation & causation. POY aren’t more often picked because the team does well, rather the team tends to do well because they have the POY.

All else being equal, or close, that also matters and can be the difference maker. But agree he’s putting too much stick in it.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think it’s not understanding correlation & causation. POY aren’t more often picked because the team does well, rather the team tends to do well because they have the POY.

All else being equal, or close, that also matters and can be the difference maker. But agree he’s putting too much stick in it.
This truly would be the most Mason thing ever.

"This year you'll beat a ranked Maryland on the road, Georgia on the road, play #5 Kansas close on the road, and have the A10 player of the year."

"So we'll be realistic contenders to go dancing?"

"No."

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

"This year you'll beat a ranked Maryland on the road, Georgia on the road, play #5 Kansas close on the road, and have the A10 player of the year."

"No."
Unfortunately the Maryland win looked a lot better when it happened. Cool to beat an SEC team, but they're bad too.

Oduro should win it in my opinion. Have to think GMU beats GW, LaSalle and Richmond (1st game) if he played. Very easily could be 9-2 in the A-10. Sigh.

Oh well - here's to finishing strong.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Unfortunately the Maryland win looked a lot better when it happened. Cool to beat an SEC team, but they're bad too.

Oduro should win it in my opinion. Have to think GMU beats GW, LaSalle and Richmond (1st game) if he played. Very easily could be 9-2 in the A-10. Sigh.

Oh well - here's to finishing strong.
In a strange way, I think missing those three games and Mason losing all of them only helps Josh’s case for POY.

With him we’ve beaten two of the best teams in the A-10 and took a third to double OT before losing on a buzzer-beater.

Without him we lost to GW and LaSalle (barf emoji), which is the reason we’re almost certainly not finishing in the top 4.

How could it be any more obvious?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

"No."

Funny and so true. That said overall things are trending in the right direction. Nobody expected Josh Oduro to be what he is now. If he continues to get better, as he gets more talent around him, the team will only get better as well. Hes not only become a top big in the league, but he soon is going to be talked about as one of the best bigs in the country which is truly wild. An under recruited kid who was moved to play major minutes probably well before he was ready, to an absolute monster.

I have to think the staff will do whatever they can to surround Josh with depth and more talent so that they have a chance next year to make it very special. Hopefully they can strike gold in the transfer portal again.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Considering where Josh was last season as opposed to today, he is the perfect candidate for Most Improved Player. And, I'll bet that he gets dissed out of POY. :mad: We'll see.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If he keeps on this trajectory i can see him getting co- player of the year and MI.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Acronyms matter. Follow along with me:

--MVP: Most Valuable Player. This ties personal accomplishments with team success. It's a wonderful sentiment that's not applicable in this case, so let's move on.
--T4BP: Top 4 Best Player. Wait, my sources are telling me that the best player on a top 4 team is not really a thing even though there is a blog about it.
--BDP: Best Davidson Player. Ok, I also made this one up to show how ridiculous the argument is that because they have the best team and the most balanced team one of their three top players deserves the award. All very good players, but the hard truth is they c-ckblock one another from winning.
--POY: Player of the Year. Ah, I knew we'd stumble upon the right words eventually. This is the best player in the league. Period. It says it right there in the name. Pretty simple concept. Throw standings out the window and STFU!

Acronym class is over. TTYL!

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Acronyms matter. Follow along with me:

--MVP: Most Valuable Player. This ties personal accomplishments with team success. It's a wonderful sentiment that's not applicable in this case, so let's move on.
--T4BP: Top 4 Best Player. Wait, my sources are telling me that the best player on a top 4 team is not really a thing even though there is a blog about it.
--BDP: Best Davidson Player. Ok, I also made this one up to show how ridiculous the argument is that because they have the best team and the most balanced team one of their three top players deserves the award. All very good players, but the hard truth is they c-ckblock one another from winning.
--POY: Player of the Year. Ah, I knew we'd stumble upon the right word eventually. This is the best player in the league. Period. It says it right there in the name. Pretty simple concept. Throw standings out the window and STFU!

Acronym class is over. TTYL!

The best acronym was still the V.A.G.I.N.A one you came up with, Tom, haha.

Dawgs99

Starter
Speaking of Josh, does anyone really think he stays around for 2 more years? Probably not. This really puts some pressure on CKE to continue to flip this roster so we can legitimately make a run at the tourney next season.

JPgmuswim

Starter
Speaking of Josh, does anyone really think he stays around for 2 more years? Probably not. This really puts some pressure on CKE to continue to flip this roster so we can legitimately make a run at the tourney next season.
No way he’ll stay 2. One more season and then it’s time for him to go make that cash.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I have some thoughts about next years roster, assuming Cooper leaves to go pro and we have at least two additional transfers…

We will need 1, possibly 2 starters to replace Schwartz and Cooper.

Let’s talk about Schwartz first, because I think whoever English beings in here could determine Mason’s ceiling. Two ways to do this: bring in another grad transfer wing of the same mold as Schwartz and plug him right into that spot; or what I would prefer to happen, get a transfer who can play either the 4 or 5 (think basically Mbaye) and move Ticket to the 3 full-time. This would help take pressure off the 5 spot when Oduro gets into foul trouble where we don’t have to rely on Henry and Jones to develop exponentially next season.

Now let’s think about Cooper: regardless if Fernandez is a 30mpg ready starter or not, you’ll need a transfer wing who can play either wing position, someone who is going to wind up playing in the 25 mpg range and either start at the 2 or come off the bench for both Fernandez and Gaines.

One more scholarship: I’d love Buchanan here to round out a fantastic freshman class and can be our 8th man in an eight player rotation.

Starters: XJ, Fernandez, Gaines, Transfer forward, Oduro
Bench: Dinkins, Transfer wing, Buchanon
Contributors: Henry?, Jones?, Otis?

Transfers out: Gadsden?, Gray?, Polite?

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I'm not counting Cooper as gone until Cooper says he's gone. Still has a year of eligibility and (I assume) a year of Grad school to get his Masters.

I also see Blake Jones as a major contributor down the road. A year stronger in the weight room and learning college ball.

I also imagine some solid transfers coming in. Would love to see us add Victor Bailey from UT. I mean...someone was right about Gaines early on. (pat's own back)

Love Barnes.

If a couple UT players decide to hit the portal looking for more minutes, maybe Big Ticket Gaines or even Anosike, wouldn't mind if CKE snapped them up.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In a strange way, I think missing those three games and Mason losing all of them only helps Josh’s case for POY.

With him we’ve beaten two of the best teams in the A-10 and took a third to double OT before losing on a buzzer-beater.

Without him we lost to GW and LaSalle (barf emoji), which is the reason we’re almost certainly not finishing in the top 4.

How could it be any more obvious?
The only counter-argument is eventually you have to start taking points off for games played. If it's a close race and he finishes having played five less games because he missed three and we don't make up URI/Duquesne then it's hard to fault voters for voting for the the other option.

Herndon

All-Conference
No way he’ll stay 2. One more season and then it’s time for him to go make that cash.
Do we think Oduro is looking at big cash?

Honestly, I don't think his game translates.

He's not super athletic, and he's not super big/long, so he's going to struggle to defend in the NBA, and he's not big/athletic enough to be an effective rim-runner/dunkspot guy in the NBA, and he's not a good enough outside shooter to be a modern stretch big.

I think he's a classic "REALLY GOOD mid-major big" who as an upper classman, kicks everybody in college ball's a**, to include the future pros who are freshmen at the High-major programs who are more "talented" but whose game is immature. Oduro has spent 3 years learning all the little tricks and hesitations and fakes and crafty stuff that allows him to kick peoples a** at the college level.

I'm not afraid of him going pro. I'm afraid of him going to UVa.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not afraid of him going pro. I'm afraid of him going to UVa.
Mad Max Reaction GIF

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Dickie V (aka Dick Vitale) has Oduro as his PoY in the A10 this year

"Atlantic 10

Coach of the Year: Bob McKillop, Davidson

Player of the Year: Josh Oduro, George Mason

Diaper Dandy of the Year: DaRon Holmes II, Dayton

V's views: McKillop has done an outstanding job despite Davidson losing two starters, including 2,000-point scorer Kellan Grady to Kentucky. The Wildcats are an NCAA tournament team. Oduro has been the scoring leader in the conference this season. I saw Holmes play in Orlando, Florida, and was impressed."

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️