Welcome Josh Oduro

Dawgs99

Starter
I dunno why we have to go from loving Josh Oduro to saying he's better than Will Thomas. Will was OUTRAGEOUS. Never made a shot more than 8 feet away from the basket, but never had to because his game was so clean in the post. An absolute murderer in the halfcourt who was perfect for his era and Larrañaga's system.

Josh still turns the ball over too much, isn't as good a rebounder, and doesn't pass out of the post particularly well. I suspect he'll get much closer to the NBA than Will ever did because of his size and shooting, but Will was one of the truly exceptional college players I've ever had the privilege of watching. Josh is very good, but not on that level yet.

Just so we are clear...I started the comparison by saying that I think Josh is the more skilled OFFENSIVE player. Not only did I not say that JO is the better overall player, I went out of my way to mention that Will Thomas was better in almost every other facet of the game. As a matter of fact, after reading through all the responses, literally NOBODY said JO was better then WT.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just so we are clear...I started the comparison by saying that I think Josh is the more skilled OFFENSIVE player. Not only did I not say that JO is the better overall player, I went out of my way to mention that Will Thomas was better in almost every other facet of the game. As a matter of fact, after reading through all the responses, literally NOBODY said JO was better then WT.
But you did say it would be controversial.
And so it was.

NewPatriot

Starter
View: https://youtu.be/8siDqQlLwZk

Eye test:

Can hit the pick and pop 3 pt shot.
Isolated: face up jumper from 15, baseline spin move with reverse layup, spin move with bank shot going left, back to the basket fade away turnaround jumper ala elvin hayes, running traditoonal right handed hook shot, jump hook going right..did I leave anything out?

To be sure, other facets of his game need to.catch up. However, given to rate of development in his game, I think he'll clean those.up and surpass everyone mentioned above.

To be sure, no other big man in mason history has ever displayed this level of versatility and plethora of offensive moves on display.

Right now, he's definitely one of the 2 or 3 bigs in the a10 and he's only scratching the surface of his potential.

I cant wait to see what his game is going to look like by the end of the year.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
View: https://youtu.be/8siDqQlLwZk

Eye test:

Can hit the pick and pop 3 pt shot.
Isolated: face up jumper from 15, baseline spin move with reverse layup, spin move with bank shot going left, back to the basket fade away turnaround jumper ala elvin hayes, running traditoonal right handed hook shot, jump hook going right..did I leave anything out?

To be sure, other facets of his game need to.catch up. However, given to rate of development in his game, I think he'll clean those.up and surpass everyone mentioned above.

To be sure, no other big man in mason history has ever displayed this level of versatility and plethora of offensive moves on display.

Right now, he's definitely one of the 2 or 3 bigs in the a10 and he's only scratching the surface of his potential.

I cant wait to see what his game is going to look like by the end of the year.
These are though, as you say, highlights. And of course, noone ever misses in highlights. Including Evans, Thomas, and company. But I will grant you, the 3 was not a part of their game. However, in 3 time POY Mr. Evans' case, it wasn't necessary.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Had to show Oduro love!

Dude came into Mason from Paul VI Hs just 3 miles from campus and no rating *'s, worked his a$$ off to become a beast and possibly the best big in mason history. Yes, I know about George Evans. I think Josh will pass him when it's all said and done!
Actually this message kicked off the discussion of "best big in mason history" and Josh's place in that history.

NewPatriot

Starter
These are though, as you say, highlights. And of course, noone ever misses in highlights.

His Navy box score

11-16 fg, 2-4 from 3, 8-12 ft

So, 9-12 from 2 (75%), he doesnt miss alot.

As a matter of fact, his fg % for the season is 60.9%. That is outstanding.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
His Navy box score

11-16 fg, 2-4 from 3, 8-12 ft

So, 9-12 from 2 (75%), he doesnt miss alot.

As a matter of fact, his fg % for the season is 60.9%. That is outstanding.
Yes it is. And I hope he keeps it up.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I guess we'll never find out what Oduro could do at 30 against CAA competition.
Nope. But we do know what these guys did. And fwiw, Navy isn't A-10 either, and Josh has looked awful at times this year.
I'm not trying to run down Josh. I'm just saying Evans proved himself over 3 years, and Thomas and Co. went to the Final Four. Let's wait and see what Josh does.
I hope he will be up there with the trifecta of Mason all-time greats Yates, Sanders, and Evans. Time will tell.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
20 points, 11 rebounds and 6 blocks against an SEC team that dropped a talented Memphis team the previous outing. A memphis team with 2 lottery picks that took down #9 alabama a few days later.

Nuff said.
You're welcome. Looks like my comments today lit a fire under him.
And BTW, Evans was All-American honorable mention. Until Josh does that...
Nuff said backatcha.
And fwiw, so was Carlos Yates in '82-'83.
(I know, diff position, diff discussion)

Last edited by a moderator:

NewPatriot

Starter
You're welcome. Looks like my comments today lit a fire under him.
And BTW, Evans was All-American honorable mention. Until Josh does that...
Nuff said backatcha.
And fwiw, so was Carlos Yates in '82-'83.
(I know, diff position, diff discussion)

With all due respect to evans and yates(both of whom Ive seen play).

Neither one ever showed level oduro's basketball awareness and offensive array of moves.

That ball fake and hi - low pass to schwartz for the easy layin.the baseline spin into a dunk. That's professional level...

He's just scratching the surface.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
With all due respect to evans and yates(both of whom Ive seen play).

Neither one ever showed level oduro's basketball awareness and offensive array of moves.

That ball fake and hi - low pass to schwartz for the easy layin.the baseline spin into a dunk. That's professional level...

He's just scratching the surface.
I agree, he's learning and improving rapidly. And I am very excited about it.
I'm not anti-Josh, I just think we need to wait and judge him by more than a few games.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Yes, I know about George Evans.

giphy.gif

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Wherever he ranks, Josh is certainly making a case to be included w/the great big men we've had since the Larranaga era to today.

The seven names on that list are:

George Evans
Jesse Young
Jai Lewis
Will Thomas
Ryan Pearson
Shevon Thompson
Jarred Reuter