Welcome Jordan Miller

FreeGunston12

All-American
How is it a set back at all? The rules allow free transfer. A new coach has come in. Arguably, nothing Miller and Kolek have seen before. Of coarse KE is going to claim his inherited roster is his priority, but he knew. He knew he could find better and he did.
In his own words, he wanted them (presuming Kolek is gone as we are hearing) to stay. By his actions, he wanted them to stay. It wasn't a false "claim". He wanted them to stay. He lost the reigning conference rookie of the year and the team's best player. In what world is that not a set back?

What revisionist shite are you peddling? Now that you know they aren't staying, Kim English didn't want them anyways? What a load of crap.

Again, KE is doing a great job. But there is no team in the A-10 that wouldn't take Miller and Kolek.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So, I think it's maybe getting to the time where we have to start discussing Jordan Miller's career.

He's sneakily getting into that level where he's among the better players ever at Mason. For three years now he has just contributed a lot, in a lot of different ways, every damn night.

For me, he's already getting into that Cam Long/ Folarin Campbell/Sherrod Wright conversation (Which is to say, for me, he has already moved OUT of that Dre Smith/Raoul Heinen conversation)

(the Lamar Butler conversation is a different one, entirely, because so much of his success is tied up in the team's success that it's hard to compare)
FWIW, here's my 3 top picks: Carlos Yates, Kenny Sanders, George Evans.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
When I was in college, football and men's basketball players were ineligible to play on the varsity their freshmen season. They played on the freshmen team and 3 seasons on the varsity. I remember watching Penn State's freshmen football team play with Lydell Mitchell and Franco Harris in the backfield.
Just curious, what year did you graduate?
Mason alum?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
In his own words, he wanted them (presuming Kolek is gone as we are hearing) to stay. By his actions, he wanted them to stay. It wasn't a false "claim". He wanted them to stay. He lost the reigning conference rookie of the year and the team's best player. In what world is that not a set back?

What revisionist shite are you peddling? Now that you know they aren't staying, Kim English didn't want them anyways? What a load of crap.

Again, KE is doing a great job. But there is no team in the A-10 that wouldn't take Miller and Kolek.
Both ends of the floor considered, I think we’ve upgraded at both spots with Schwartz and Cooper. But we’ll have to see about that once the games start.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

How does he say anthing but he wants them? He knew they would either stay or go right? He did what he had to do and I think he did alot better with HIS guys. That's what KE's actions were. Read between the lines.

We didn't win shit with Miller. Half the time he was scared to accept the fact he was the best player on the floor and thus played timid. Kolek was a good shooter but can he defend? POY was nice and all but I'm not sure he gets that accolade if DP wasn't coaching to save his a**. Miller is in the ACC now, so lets see if those Miami Beach Thongs turn him into a force. My bet its meh or he leaves the team for a supermodel.

FreeGunston12

All-American
How does he say anthing but he wants them? He knew they would either stay or go right? He did what he had to do and I think he did alot better with HIS guys. That's what KE's actions were. Read between the lines.

We didn't win shit with Miller. Half the time he was scared to accept the fact he was the best player on the floor and thus played timid. Kolek was a good shooter but can he defend? POY was nice and all but I'm not sure he gets that accolade if DP wasn't coaching to save his a**. Miller is in the ACC now, so lets see if those Miami Beach Thongs turn him into a force. My bet its meh or he leaves the team for a supermodel.
You're right. We're better off without the only two of our guys that earned conference honors last year. My bad.

Did you ever think, hey maybe this isn't a trade? Maybe we could have Schwartz and Cooper and either one of Kolek or Miller? Maybe they are not mutually exclusive?

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He did say very directly, "we have an unbelievable core and it is my job to keep those guys. Like that's me measuring success right now. Putting it on myself as a head coach, right now. I got to do whatever I got to do to keep those guys here at George Mason, because they are a very talented group of guys that I want to coach".

So was it coach speak? Yes. But it was a miss to let Miller (and Kolek presumably) get away.

No worries here though. English is doing a fantastic job and it is just a minor set back. We'll see who he brings in in their place when all is said and done.
He also said, when referring to keeping the core "if you're going to judge me, judge me by this." Was it coach speak? Did he mean it? Did he swing and miss?
Who knows. All we do know is that next year's team is going to look very different, and hopefully, much improved.

FreeGunston12

All-American
He also said, when referring to keeping the core "if you're going to judge me, judge me by this." Was it coach speak? Did he mean it? Did he swing and miss?
Who knows. All we do know is that next year's team is going to look very different, and hopefully, much improved.
Yes! I was trying to find that quote but didn't. Was it during the Q & A at the press conference?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Both ends of the floor considered, I think we’ve upgraded at both spots with Schwartz and Cooper. But we’ll have to see about that once the games start.
I do think it's a setback in the sense that with a starting 4 of Cooper, Schwartz, Miller, and Oduro you could roll with a non-scoring PG like XJ or Polite and be fine (not to say neither one will turn out to be a scorer next year, but right now they aren't). There's a question mark in the starting lineup now, and there has to be hope that Frazier sees a big jump, or Gaines, when given an opportunity, can roll, or Gray or Gadsden comes in more ready than we might expect.

Also, Kolek hasn't said he's gone yet definitively, maybe he comes back and you've got Polite/XJ/Gray, Kolek, Cooper, Schwartz, Oduro as your starting five. I'd be pretty happy with that.

PS: I know that Kolek not re-committing at this point probably means he's gone.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I do think it's a setback in the sense that with a starting 4 of Cooper, Schwartz, Miller, and Oduro you could roll with a non-scoring PG like XJ or Polite and be fine (not to say neither one will turn out to be a scorer next year, but right now they aren't). There's a question mark in the starting lineup now, and there has to be hope that Frazier sees a big jump, or Gaines, when given an opportunity, can roll, or Gray or Gadsden comes in more ready than we might expect.

Also, Kolek hasn't said he's gone yet definitively, maybe he comes back and you've got Polite/XJ/Gray, Kolek, Cooper, Schwartz, Oduro as your starting five. I'd be pretty happy with that.

PS: I know that Kolek not re-committing at this point probably means he's gone.
They already removed Kolek from the roster on the Mason website. He’s gone.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Its a little perplexing....aside that it's ACC and south beach, Miller is joining the walking dead. How would anyone get pumped up playing for a 105 yr old cuban with squeaky hip?? Something isn't right. Probably all Caputo's doing. Bitter, short guys do things like this.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You're right. We're better off without the only two of our guys that earned conference honors last year. My bad.

Did you ever think, hey maybe this isn't a trade? Maybe we could have Schwartz and Cooper and either one of Kolek or Miller? Maybe they are not mutually exclusive?
Guess what? We are better off!!

I never got the sense that KE was promising us he would keep the team together or the core of it. I got the sense he just wanted to keep Udoro while hoping he could keep a few more. Schwartz shoots what from 3?

Masonfan3

Starter
Guess what? We are better off!!

I never got the sense that KE was promising us he would keep the team together or the core of it. I got the sense he just wanted to keep Udoro while hoping he could keep a few more. Schwartz shoots what from 3?

Will we be better next year, absolutely. But, it is hard for me to understand how we are going to be better off without our leading scorer and a All A10 3rd Team player. Is Schwartz better, probably. But I am sure that KE would have loved to have Miller for two more years. Wish him luck but our team is not better off today than it was yesterday...but all that can change with another signing/transfer.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Will we be better next year, absolutely. But, it is hard for me to understand how we are going to be better off without our leading scorer and a All A10 3rd Team player. Is Schwartz better, probably. But I am sure that KE would have loved to have Miller for two more years. Wish him luck but our team is not better off today than it was yesterday...but all that can change with another signing/transfer.
If you don’t think that Schwartz is an upgrade on Miller idk what to tell you. He had solid numbers in a much tougher conference. Better shooter, better defender, not as good of a rebounder. I’d throw down my next mortgage payment that Schwartz’s PAC12 numbers last season will look better than Millers ACC numbers next season. We got the better player at this position out of all this.