Welcome Jordan Miller

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If that is the case he'll have some hustling to do. On the other hand we haven't won anything with the current roster. Ladies and gents, introducing your 2021 - 2022 lineup. At the 1 TBD, 2 TBD, 3 TBD, 4 TBD, and 5 TBD. ;)

Does that mean TBD can be in the running for POY? :chuckle:

FreeGunston12

All-American
Two thoughts:
1- have to wonder if the approach of calling kids out so publicly (during a press conference or on IG) is the right approach for these guys. Not saying I don't approve (I love the confidence and swagger), but Miller and Oduro are kind of quiet guys that may not respond best to that. Not sure.

2- If he is supportive of Coach English, the most valuable place for Lamar to be for this program may be right where he is.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Unless he does something amazing, his future was always playing overseas. Don't blame him spending a year in South Beach. He's already used to empty arenas...

smccart5

Starter
Definitely disappointing to see him leave, and surprised by it. I thought Miller would stay and Kolek would leave. Enjoyed watching him progress each year, really good guy that was easy to root for, and was looking forward to seeing someone solid play a full career at Mason.

Assuming Kolek is gone, this is a failure on coach English to lose our leading scorer and ROY. Coach set that bar for himself.

Good luck Jordan. Keep working on that turnaround J. It's your best/most elite move, now make it unstoppable!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Definitely disappointing to see him leave, and surprised by it. I thought Miller would stay and Kolek would leave. Enjoyed watching him progress each year, really good guy that was easy to root for, and was looking forward to seeing someone solid play a full career at Mason.

Assuming Kolek is gone, this is a failure on coach English to lose our leading scorer and ROY. Coach set that bar for himself.

Good luck Jordan. Keep working on that turnaround J. It's your best/most elite move, now make it unstoppable!
A failure? How exactly do you make someone stay where they don’t want to be when the rules allow them to leave?

I think people sometimes read too much into coach-speak. Did KE want to keep Miller and Kolek? Yes I’m sure he did. But I’m not sure how you consider something a failure that he had literally zero control over.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Totally disagree. This is no failure by Coach English. Miller and Kolek are looking out for themselves, as they should. Maybe they thought they weren't going to prosper, it maybe they were afraid if the competition CKE is bringing in? Maybe they've decided to change their major to something Mason doesn't have? Who knows, who cares about the reason. I wish them well on their new teams and long live Mason!

JPgmuswim

Starter

I can’t really blame KE, I understand he openly talked about them in his presser and definitely wanted to keep them. I think with the new rules in place for transfers and the players being granted an extra year there is a strong possibility they would have left regardless of who the coach was. Just look at how many names have entered the portal compared to previous years.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

This is pure stupidity if not sarcasm. Neither of those soy boys were staying under DP regardless.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yesssss Yessssssss! Feed your hate. It will make you strong. You have come far Sleeper.
I just can’t believe one of DPs last defenders can call a couple of his players we couldn’t win with leaving (in this day and time) as a total failure. It’s just plain stupid. Whole roster could have left and we probably win more games this season.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I just can’t believe one of DPs last defenders can call a couple of his players we couldn’t win with leaving (in this day and time) as a total failure. It’s just plain stupid. Whole roster could have left and we probably win more games this season.

I understand the logic of your point - I was merely trying to inject a little humor into the discussion. I think KE has the ability to fill the holes that need filling and enabling a roster that can penetrate into the key and bring the ball to the rim with strength and vigor.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Will be interesting to see how Miller does.

illayin

Sixth Man

How did he set that "bar for himself"? Because he talked to them at the introductory press conference? Would you rather him have done nothing to save face if they left?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think the writing was on the wall pretty early with Kolek and Miller with the recruits we were signing. So we lost two wings (and I use wing loosely here with Dady) and KE gets two wings in Schwartz and Gaines.

We lose two guards in Kolek and Greene and we have two guards coming in Cooper and Gray (I know Gray is a holdover recruit).

Lose Calixte and AJ and we have Mbaye and a possible other big transfer coming in per the interview.

KE has a plan it seems.

FreeGunston12

All-American
How did he set that "bar for himself"? Because he talked to them at the introductory press conference? Would you rather him have done nothing to save face if they left?
He did say very directly, "we have an unbelievable core and it is my job to keep those guys. Like that's me measuring success right now. Putting it on myself as a head coach, right now. I got to do whatever I got to do to keep those guys here at George Mason, because they are a very talented group of guys that I want to coach".

So was it coach speak? Yes. But it was a miss to let Miller (and Kolek presumably) get away.

No worries here though. English is doing a fantastic job and it is just a minor set back. We'll see who he brings in in their place when all is said and done.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
How is it a set back at all? The rules allow free transfer. A new coach has come in. Arguably, nothing Miller and Kolek have seen before. Of coarse KE is going to claim his inherited roster is his priority, but he knew. He knew he could find better and he did.