Goodbye Jordan Miller

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Since the creation of NIL and the transfer portal, I'd agree with you. Prior to that I'd say college was the better job. The best coaches were in college where they didn't have to worry as much about ego or outside noise. Now it's difficult because you are spending so much of your time recruiting because you have to deal with "free agency" every offseason, and sometimes during the season.
The vast majority of college coaches I’ve known over the years absolutely detested recruiting and thought it was demeaning to have to basically beg an 18-year-old kid to come play for you, but yeah NIL and the portal have made it much much worse lol.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just want to throw out that if Jordan somehow starts in the G-League with the Clippers, he would be coached by Hewitt.

Which means he would be coached by 3 former Mason coaches. Paulsen, Larranaga, and Hewitt.

Also, as @Walter mentioned, Jay Larranaga is on staff with the Clippers.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I wonder if Jordan was drafted by the Clippers via Jim Larrañaga giving a wink and a nod to Jay Larrañaga, or was it simply a matter of Jordan being the next best player on the board?
Mock Drafts had him going around that time - but not to the Clippers.

DRK331

Starter
I'm thrilled for Jordan as he truly deserves this achievement.

But i really hope Skinn can recruit a player who’s willing to rock the Mason jersey throughout their entire college career and then make a kick-a** leap into the NBA.

Yes I agree 100%. George Mason is definitely good enough to produce NBA players.

Being located outside of DC, maybe Tony Skinn can get Wizards scouts and coaches to come watch our guys practice and our guys play our A10 games at EBA in Fairfax.

Maybe Austin Ball can be that first Mason to NBA guy? 6'7 guy who can shoot

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes I agree 100%. George Mason is definitely good enough to produce NBA players.

Being located outside of DC, maybe Tony Skinn can get Wizards scouts and coaches to come watch our guys practice and our guys play our A10 games at EBA in Fairfax.

Maybe Austin Ball can be that first Mason to NBA guy? 6'7 guy who can shoot
My money is on Keyshawn Hall

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My money is on Keyshawn Hall

He seems like a decent bet.

Maybe Pavrette develops over the next two years? 6’11+ bigs who can walk and chew gum at the same time don’t grow on trees. Based on his numbers that’s a LOT of work but it happens.

They also might not be on the roster yet. Maybe someone in the ‘24 or ‘25 class becomes that player?

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
View: https://twitter.com/EtienneCatalan/status/1673934795456258048?s=20

Jordan Miller (@Jordan_miller11)
will wear No. 11 for the #Clippers. Number last worn by John Wall in 2023.

FzsC0oCXoAARRgE

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Given the structure of the summer league, the following are the only known games as of now that Miller's Clippers and Wong's Pacers will play.

Los Angeles Clippers Summer League Schedule

July 8th: Clippers vs Jazz at 10 PM EST on ESPN2

July 10th: Clippers vs Kings at 10:30 PM EST on NBA TV

July 12th: Clippers vs Grizzlies at 3:30 PM EST on NBA TV

July 14th: Clippers vs 76ers at 4:30 PM EST on NBA TV"

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just amazing to see him in an NBA jersey.

1. Wasn’t highly sought out in high school
2. Went to a public high school,
3. Local kid,
4. Thrust into the lineup at Mason due to injury
5. Had to forgo his redshirt and did it without hesitation.
6. Transferred to Miami and even at this point no one realistically saw him in the NBA.
7. Two years later, Ends up in the NBA

Good things don’t always happen to good people, but man, when it does, it’s a beautiful thing. What a great Nike commercial this would make.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

3. Local kid,
6. Transferred to Miami and even at this point no one realistically saw him in the NBA.

Good things don’t always happen to good people, but man, when it does, it’s a beautiful thing. What a great Nike commercial this would make.

Kinda glad that Paulsen and more so Coach L get credit for getting another player to the league on their resume instead of FKE.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Jordan Miller two-way contract watch

Jordan Miller was the 48th pick of this year’s draft, four years after Terance Mann was the 48th pick of his draft. The 6-foot-5 southpaw out of Miami certainly has personality, explaining how his left arm is left without tattoos by recalling Nick Young’s 'strictly for buckets.'

But Miller, who is expected to get one of LA’s three two-way contracts, isn’t a Swaggy P-type gunner. He’s a well-rounded player who Jones credits for 'not looking for the ball to be successful,' a unique trait for a rookie.

'Jordan is a great cutter and communicator,' Jones said of Miller. 'He knows how to make his teammates better, and that’s rare to find a young player who is skilled in that area without getting any direction to do it. He’s been doing a great job as a screener and a cutter as I said before. He runs the floor extremely well, and he’s a great teammate.'

Another example of Miller’s traits as a teammate is his willingness to defend bigger players, despite checking in at less than 200 pounds. Miller used his near-7-foot wingspan well at college, and now he is eager to show he will translate that ability to the pros.

'There’s going to be guys bigger, stronger, (more) athletic in the NBA,' Miller said. 'For me, night in and night out, 95 percent of the time, I was guarding someone heavier than me, taller than me. I feel like it kind of instilled a toughness in me, I would say is the best word to describe it. No matter who I’m guarding, I’m just going to go after it, make their night as hell as possible and just get after it.'”

"There are also limitations to being a two-way player. Only players with three or fewer years of NBA service are eligible for two-way contracts, and players in two-way contract slots are only eligible to be active in a maximum of 50 games with their NBA team, according to the G League. These players spend the rest of the season with their team's G League. If their team does not have an affiliate, they will be sent to play with another team's affiliate, according to SB Nation."

Last edited:

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

3. Local kid,

When he stole the ball in his first 10 seconds of his college career and then threw it down (and then did it AGAIN) later in the game, I knew he was special. Glad to see him get drafted and hoping he has a long career.