Welcome Jordan Miller

jessej

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes, so like I said, without either Kolek or Miller you've got two spots of uncertainty in the starting 5.

Another option: Mbaye really can be a stretch 4 and he kills it.

I thought it was a risky move, to be sure, especially when he called out Miller and kept saying stuff like "when you were watching tape did you see teammates ball watch while their man ran around them for the rebound? Did you see teammates..."

His pitch seemed to work on Oduro and not on Miller; Kolek still TBD. He's obviously really intense and that works for some players and not for others. We need players who are bought in 100% because it's not going to work otherwise.

More than the transfers he brought in, I'm actually really interested to see what happens with Frazier, Polite, Henry, and XJ (even Hartwell) under KE.
I hope that those 5 have had a talk with KE to understand where they stand, what role they play in his style of play and understand the areas they need to improve in to get on the court. If they haven't, and they want to play on the court - somewhere - they should get into the transfer portal ASAP as there is no guarantee that a free year and a free transfer will be offered again

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I hope that those 5 have had a talk with KE to understand where they stand, what role they play in his style of play and understand the areas they need to improve in to get on the court. If they haven't, and they want to play on the court - somewhere - they should get into the transfer portal ASAP as there is no guarantee that a free year and a free transfer will be offered again
The free transfer rule is here to stay.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Free as in not having to sit out a year?
and i am very surprised that no one - yet - has sued over blocking intra-conference transfers
Yes and the ban on intraconference transfers is going away too. Freedom of movement is the new normal for players just like for coaches

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yes and the ban on intraconference transfers is going away too. Freedom of movement is the new normal for players just like for coaches

Well, sort of...they get one shot to get it right. And since they aren't sitting out a year we'll see less grad transfers as more players will eat up their eligibility in 4 years.

jessej

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This is a real game changer
Coaches must continually recruit new talent, and recruit from the transfer portal, but now must continually re-recruit their best players.
and i assume that those who don't perform as expected/needed will be shown the door and have scholarships pulled.

Can you imagine this situation
Player plays for College A from October thru the end of the semester/quarter in December.
Then quits the team and signs on with College B and plays for them starting in January at the start of a new semester/quarter.
(I hope there is a rule to prevent this from occurring)

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This is a real game changer
Coaches must continually recruit new talent, and recruit from the transfer portal, but now must continually re-recruit their best players.
and i assume that those who don't perform as expected/needed will be shown the door and have scholarships pulled.

Can you imagine this situation
Player plays for College A from October thru the end of the semester/quarter in December.
Then quits the team and signs on with College B and plays for them starting in January at the start of a new semester/quarter.
(I hope there is a rule to prevent this from occurring)
I don’t think you can switch teams mid-season. And you only get one transfer without having to sit out, so once everything settles down from COViD I would expect the portal to be less insane than it is now.

But yes it has fundamentally changed the nature of team-building — forget about developing teams over 3-4 years, it’s a year by year process now. If you can’t recruit you’re dead in the water

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
From a count perspective, roster management is a zero sum game. You can't just keep someone, you have to free up a scholarship slot. For now, if we assume Kolek has right of first refusal on the last slot for next year, that means we don't get one of the new recruits. For the sake of argument, assume CKE doesn't force one of the lesser contributors out either. Which of the new recruits would you forgo to keep Miller and would you still say definitively that we'd be looking better?

Verbal commit seems to think we still have 2 spots available. I wonder if Schwartz isn't being counted against the roster limit since he's taking his "free" year with us (and returning seniors don't count against the limit)? Could also be an error on Verbalcommits part, too.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Verbal commit seems to think we still have 2 spots available. I wonder if Schwartz isn't being counted against the roster limit since he's taking his "free" year with us (and returning seniors don't count against the limit)? Could also be an error on Verbalcommits part, too.

A player using his 5th year of eligibility is only exempt from the scholarship limit if he remains in the same school where he played in the 2020-21 season. Therefore, Schwartz is not exempt from Mason's scholarship limit.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Verbal Commits is really impressive but at the end of the day it's an automated aggregator. It's usually directionally accurate but not 100% accurate. Most of our recruiting targets that are listed, for instance, are still guys we were interested in under Paulsen and only about half of English's offers are listed in there (and none for the 2023 class).

Shameless plug: what I'm trying to say is follow @gmurecruiting on Twitter for up to date and accurate information.

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Could we just forget about old news Miller and move on...let's talk about our new guys plus Josh. As of right now we have three scorers!!

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Could we just forget about old news Miller and move on...let's talk about our new guys plus Josh. As of right now we have three scorers!!

You posted in the Jordan Miller thread for the sole purpose of telling others to stop talking about Jordan Miller?

0e8b7d2c53195177a326670609fcb7ea.jpg

ephoops

Starter
This evening Miller went for 24 pts and 11 rebs. in the Dean Dome. Miami beat (a mediocre) UNC team 80-72.

Both Miller and Kolek are having outstanding seasons.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Miller even got the post-game on-the-court-for-TV interview with the sideline reporter. Good for him. Was very hard not to be proud of him.

vince vaughn beer GIF

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Remember at KE’s introduction press conference, and KE was still trying to convince Jordan to stay and said something like, “If you leave, you’re going to miss out.” Lol. Glad Jordan didn’t fall for his sales pitch. Happy to see him living his best life.

Now I want JO to have the same NCAAT experience as Jordan… just not at Providence.

Last edited: