Welcome Jalen Haynes

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I could be wrong, but I think it’s been confirmed that a player won’t lose eligibility if they decide to play these next 14 days and the decision ends up favoring the NCAA

"'Yes,'" the document states. 'The 14-day TRO only enjoined Bylaw 14.5.5.1 and does not change the season of competition legislation.'

The new guidance walks back a report on Wednesday that cited an NCAA spokesperson saying athletes will not lose a year of eligibility if the ruling is overturned."

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023

"'Yes,'" the document states. 'The 14-day TRO only enjoined Bylaw 14.5.5.1 and does not change the season of competition legislation.'

The new guidance walks back a report on Wednesday that cited an NCAA spokesperson saying athletes will not lose a year of eligibility if the ruling is overturned."
Sheesh, what a disaster all of this is.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Come on, guys, it’s Loyola. Not only would I not play Haynes, I’d sit all of our starters.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Look for another lawsuit against the NCAA over this one

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Come on, guys, it’s Loyola. Not only would I not play Haynes, I’d sit all of our starters.
IMG_1349.jpeg

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Look for another lawsuit against the NCAA over this one

If the judge strikes down the rule and the NCAA appeals and eventually wins it’s going to take months to sort out. At that point these players would have played 2/3rd of a season anyway. If the NCAA loses all of the appeals same thing applies.

The only risk is if the judge decides the rule stays and these players played in 2-3 games and have to sit and lose a year because of if.

NewPatriot

Starter
holy crap balling out against Adebayo is insane... the A-10 ain't ready
That's I am saying.. play the man...Kelly, Newton, hall and haynes..on paper..deepest, most skilled and versatile front court in Mason history...vcu keeps bragging about Bam and Bairstow...bring in haynes...vcu won't know what hit them on January 9th....game circled on my calendar....

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — The NCAA and a coalition of states suing the organization asked a federal court Friday to extend a small window for multiple-transfer athletes to compete through at least the winter and spring semesters.

The motion seeks to extend the 14-day temporary restraining order barring the NCAA from enforcing a rule for those athletes who transfer multiple times.

On Wednesday, U.S. District Judge John Preston Bailey in West Virginia issued a temporary restraining order against the NCAA. The ruling, part of a lawsuit by a coalition of seven states, said athletes who previously were denied the chance to play immediately after transferring a second time can compete in games for 14 days.

The NCAA then circulated a document to its member schools clarifying that the redshirt rule for athletes would still apply if the court’s decision is reversed: Basketball players who compete during the two-week window would be using up a season of eligibility.

Now, the two sides apparently are coming together to address the athletes’ desires."

"The NCAA said in a statement issued Friday that, 'given the unprecedented decision by the courts earlier this week, the NCAA has reached an agreement with the States to convert the temporary restraining order into a preliminary injunction through the remainder of the 2023-24 NCAA championship season.'"

Since the TRO was issued, the majority of men's basketball players who had their waivers denied or were awaiting decisions continued to be held out of competition out of precaution. UNLV's Keylan Boone suited up on Wednesday night, but LSU's Jalen Cook, Little Rock's Makhel Mitchell and several other players sat out.

On Thursday and Friday, however, multiple schools announced that their previously-ineligible transfers would be dressed and available for this weekend's games. Among that group was West Virginia's RaeQuan Battle, whose waiver denial was at the heart of the coalition's case, and Noah Farrakhan, as well as vcu's Joe Bamisile.

Last edited:

NewPatriot

Starter

"CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — The NCAA and a coalition of states suing the organization asked a federal court Friday to extend a small window for multiple-transfer athletes to compete through at least the winter and spring semesters.

The motion seeks to extend the 14-day temporary restraining order barring the NCAA from enforcing a rule for those athletes who transfer multiple times.

On Wednesday, U.S. District Judge John Preston Bailey in West Virginia issued a temporary restraining order against the NCAA. The ruling, part of a lawsuit by a coalition of seven states, said athletes who previously were denied the chance to play immediately after transferring a second time can compete in games for 14 days.

The NCAA then circulated a document to its member schools clarifying that the redshirt rule for athletes would still apply if the court’s decision is reversed: Basketball players who compete during the two-week window would be using up a season of eligibility.

Now, the two sides apparently are coming together to address the athletes’ desires."

"The NCAA said in a statement issued Friday that, 'given the unprecedented decision by the courts earlier this week, the NCAA has reached an agreement with the States to convert the temporary restraining order into a preliminary injunction through the remainder of the 2023-24 NCAA championship season.'"

Since the TRO was issued, the majority of men's basketball players who had their waivers denied or were awaiting decisions continued to be held out of competition out of precaution. UNLV's Keylan Boone suited up on Wednesday night, but LSU's Jalen Cook, Little Rock's Makhel Mitchell and several other players sat out.

On Thursday and Friday, however, multiple schools announced that their previously-ineligible transfers would be dressed and available for this weekend's games. Among that group was West Virginia's RaeQuan Battle, whose waiver denial was at the heart of the coalition's case, and Noah Farrakhan, as well as vcu's Joe Bamisile.
So it does or does not apply to Jalen?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
So it does or does not apply to Jalen?

It means that the NCAA has agreed to suspend the rule and not appeal the court ruling at least through the end of the school year. So, Jalen and Mason can jointly decide if he plays this season (and I'm guessing that he will play this evening).

Hopefully, the NCAA will revoke the rule and allow the athletes and their respective school to jointly make these decisions.