Welcome Davonte "Ticket" Gaines

Masonfan3

Starter
FIFY.

Looking at just his stats, I can see why @Herndon would raise that question. But like @Patriot8 I've watched a lot of UT BBall and was hoping for this as soon CKE was hired.

Gaines minutes were pretty scarce this season, which is almost certainly the reason he's transferring, but was fighting for playing time behind two likely lottery picks in this year's NBA draft, a third 5-star recruit, and an SEC defensive player of the year who'll also go in the NBA draft.

As a true freshman, he was averaging just over 10 min. per game in the SEC. He was also the guy that Barnes put in to cover Herb Jones, the SEC POY, down a point with 43 seconds left on the clock. And he stopped him. Not only shut him down underneath the basket after Jones already had 20 points on the day, but forced the turnover and a chance to go up.

(now that down side of that story is Gaines missed both FT's, but that's a part of his game he can work on)

As for siced-for-size, we all know his schtick by now.

What was the main reason for only playing 3 minutes a game? Was it just that those two were THAT much better? It does make me a little nervous that he only played 3 minutes a game, only 43 seconds in that SEC semifinal game, and that he only took a total of 9 shots the entire season..but I trust KE

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you, my man.

Just know that if in 3 years if we've shown improvement, but have not reached some arbitrary level of expectations that you have decided is right, but is not matched by the underlying program fundamentals, and you're all salty about it, the issue is with you, and not English, or Gaines, or whoever else.

To be clear, I hope things go exactly as you do. I hope we kick everybody's a**. I'm just not going to get bent out of shape about it if we don't.

This crap about program fundamentals again? KE's salary alone puts us in line with Richmond and URI in terms of annual spend (and we were already peer schools with places like Loyola-Chicago, New Mexico, and St. Mary's (CA)). Program infrastructure (practice facility, arena, etc.) is on par with the tier below the top 3 (could they be improved? Yes. But based on Petey's interview with Edwards, expect movement on Phase 2 once revenue is recovered post-COVID -- hopefully with an even more ambitious plan).

By George.

Starter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you, my man.

Just know that if in 3 years if we've shown improvement, but have not reached some arbitrary level of expectations that you have decided is right, but is not matched by the underlying program fundamentals, and you're all salty about it, the issue is with you, and not English, or Gaines, or whoever else.

To be clear, I hope things go exactly as you do. I hope we kick everybody's a**. I'm just not going to get bent out of shape about it if we don't.

You mean competing for championships? That’s not arbitrary. Or do you mean competing with top teams in our conference? Also not arbitrary. When you make condescending points like this you fail to mention the expectations set by Dave Paulsen and Brad Edwards themselves. Expectations were not met, not even close, and DP was fired.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Guys, I HATE to be that guy, but we're talking about a guy who averaged 0.7 and 0.7 on 22% from the floor in 3 minutes a game as a sophomore.

Like, yes, MAYBE he'lll be a lockdown defender in the A10 and MAYBE he'll be able to score effectively, and I sure as hell hope so, but I don't think it's fair to English, or to Gaines, or to us to saddle the kid with those kind of expectations.

I welcome the kid with open arms, and sure hope he produces, but just like I said in the Schwartz thread, the best indicator of future performance is past performance, be that in Tennessee or Timbuktu.

So what you are saying is that his /40 numbers are through the roof? Because making statistical judgements off of a guy averaging 3 mins a game is wildly misleading.

By George.

Starter
I think it’s safe to trust our coach here, who probably recruited the kid and coached him for 2 years. Even if he’s just a bench guy, solid 6th man....I’m amped up for that. We need those guys. I’d bet he gets a chance to start at the 4, in KE’s 4 out 1 inside style. It appears, we have our scorers for this season, we need dudes to force stops and get out in transition. Ticket will do just that.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
What was the main reason for only playing 3 minutes a game? Was it just that those two were THAT much better?

Keon Johnson is projected to be the 8th pick in the NBA draft. -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiqpbXMKwfs

Jaden Springer is projected to go 19th.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gNQmU9ndaw

Yves Pons is projected 45th and may be the best athlete in the draft.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa2vT3xNmIA

So essentially, he was playing behind 3 of the top 50 prospects IN. THE. WORLD.

So yeah.

Then the fourth guy is Josiah Jordan James, a 5-Star McD's AA w/a year in UT's system who still typically came off the bench

and the fifth guy is Victor Bailey, a top 100 SG who transferred in from Oregon and had to sit our for a year but still practices w/the team.

I don't expect Gaines to be the next Folarin Campbell, Cam Long, or Sherrod Wright but I do think he's going to be a very solid role player who gets good minutes in the A-10.

Last edited:
OP
Patriot8

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What was the main reason for only playing 3 minutes a game? Was it just that those two were THAT much better? It does make me a little nervous that he only played 3 minutes a game, only 43 seconds in that SEC semifinal game, and that he only took a total of 9 shots the entire season..but I trust KE
He wasn't an offensive threat for a team that mostly struggled to score unless they were knocking down jumpers. Plus, as noted above, he was buried behind 4 future pros.

OP
Patriot8

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think it’s safe to trust our coach here, who probably recruited the kid and coached him for 2 years. Even if he’s just a bench guy, solid 6th man....I’m amped up for that. We need those guys. I’d bet he gets a chance to start at the 4, in KE’s 4 out 1 inside style. It appears, we have our scorers for this season, we need dudes to force stops and get out in transition. Ticket will do just that.
Ticket was committed to Tennessee for 2 years before he got to campus because he took a prep year at Hargrave to better adjust himself to living away from home before heading to college. KE didn't recruit him, but he did coach him everyday for 2 years. Davonte has a hell of a life story, and he will give us everything he's got. I certainly think he has a chance to start.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
if you actually live like that you might be the most boring person to have ever been born. I would rather be 28 and realize when something sucks and not being content about it like you and then realize that something is hitting a different feeling and get excited than to be 60 and just feel bleh my entire life. This is not an insult to you based off age but you brought that up so I will retort accordingly. I will drink beers with OG @Patriotsince81 at Brion's and the Gold room rooting for a team that actually gets me excited for once as you crochet each night with your wife while watching Roseanne.
Hey, talk about being offended! I PASSED 60 several years ago. And yeah, I AM kinda boring...so my grandkids say. But right now I am Hanging Ten with a Groovy Keep On Truckin' spirit. This is a great time for our team!!! :D

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Lol some folks logic here is just great to watch.

The same people who were saying that we shouldn't write off our 5'6 bow legged recruits who couldn't bench their body weight who were universally rated half a star by anyone who watches basketball because they hadn't stepped on campus yet are now telling us to pump the breaks on former 3/4 star guys because they couldn't get a run while they sat behind literal lottery picks and their offensive game MIGHT not be completely polished (after we spent the last 6 years recruiting nothing but players with major flaws in their games). The mental gymnastics going on here are impressive, folks need to be prepping for the Olympics at this rate.

Give me a stretch guy who can defend 1-4 all day, I loved Daddy for this same reason, and it seems like Gaines is going to be AN EVEN BETTER DADDY. Not everyone has to be a starter and score 15+ per game solely on contested mid range jump shots.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Lol some folks logic here is just great to watch.

The same people who were saying that we shouldn't write off our 5'6 bow legged recruits who couldn't bench their body weight who were universally rated half a star by anyone who watches basketball because they hadn't stepped on campus yet are now telling us to pump the breaks on former 3/4 star guys because they couldn't get a run while they sat behind literal lottery picks and their offensive game MIGHT not be completely polished (after we spent the last 6 years recruiting nothing but players with major flaws in their games). The mental gymnastics going on here are impressive, folks need to be prepping for the Olympics at this rate.

Give me a stretch guy who can defend 1-4 all day, I loved Daddy for this same reason, and it seems like Gaines is going to be AN EVEN BETTER DADDY. Not everyone has to be a starter and score 15+ per game solely on contested mid range jump shots.
This is an underrated point. Constructing a winning roster isn’t solely amassing talent ... KE seems to have a sense for seeking out guys who can play together and function as a team. There will ALWAYS be a role in the rotation of an A-10 program for a long, athletic guy who is willing and able to defend — whatever scoring you get from him is literally a bonus.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Ticket was committed to Tennessee for 2 years before he got to campus because he took a prep year at Hargrave to better adjust himself to living away from home before heading to college. KE didn't recruit him, but he did coach him everyday for 2 years. Davonte has a hell of a life story, and he will give us everything he's got. I certainly think he has a chance to start.
Right now, and until I shouldn't anymore, in KE I trust.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Since I have been mentioned in this thread I feel the need to respond. Does OG mean "Old Geezer" or "Original Gangster"? LOL. Never mind, I think I'll be happier answering my own question.

OP
Patriot8

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
At the "3"?
I envision the 3/4 being interchangeable for the most part, but yes. Schwartz has the size to guard any 4 in this conference, and Gaines has the lateral quickness and length and "want-to" to shut down any 3 in this conference.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Since I have been mentioned in this thread I feel the need to respond. Does OG mean "Old Geezer" or "Original Gangster"? LOL. Never mind, I think I'll be happier answering my own question.
You and me both, friend!

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you, my man.

You act as if we are expecting national championships every year. What most of us want is pretty reasonable: To at least be in the conversation every couple of years for post season play (NCAA OR NIT). Not that we make it every other year, just to be in the convo.

We have not been in the conversation for 11 years. I know you’re fine with that but I don’t think it’s outlandish not to be ok with it.

And by the way what’s wrong with living in the moment every once in a while? Yes there’s a chance we will be disappointed once the season starts but it hasn’t. The only thing we can be excited about now is the off-season and the chance to not perpetually suck.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
You act as if we are expecting national championships every year. What most of us want is pretty reasonable: To at least be in the conversation every couple of years for post season play (NCAA OR NIT). Not that we make it every other year, just to be in the convo.

We have not been in the conversation for 11 years. I know you’re fine with that but I don’t think it’s outlandish not to be ok with it.

And by the way what’s wrong with living in the moment every once in a while? Yes there’s a chance we will be disappointed once the season starts but it hasn’t. The only thing we can be excited about now is the off-season and the chance to not perpetually suck.
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!