• THANK YOU DONORS!!
    I'd like to personally thank everyone that participated in our first donor drive in years! We raised over double the amount that we set as a goal. You guys are awesome! This money helps to fuel much needed upgrades around here - and also includes monthly server costs and software licenses. We are excited for the future and your donations ensure that there will be a place to talk about George Mason basketball (among other things) for seasons to come! - The Management

Welcome Cam Walker

welcome Cam! this looks like a Dennis Felton recruit for sure...I wouldn't be surprised if Cam is the only kid from Georgia we are going after, remember we had Randal Godfrey and Kendall Campbell on campus this summer as well...

In addition, everyone is mentioned Cooper/Hartwell moving on after this year (most likely both will/can occur), but I wouldn't count on that just yet, although both could potentially stay if we have a good season this year.

Remember Ronnie Polite, Mike Gray, Xavier Johnson, Otis Frazier III, and TJ Gadsden will need to compete for playing time this year behind Cooper/Hartwell/Gaines/Schwartz, I highly doubt all 5 of these players will be on the roster next year especially since we landed commitments from Dinkins and Walker and we are aggressively pursuing Fernandez and Chas Kelly. Should be interesting to see how this roster shapes up in future years.

OP
Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Cooper is a fifth-year guy. I’d be surprised if he stayed in college for a sixth year instead of going to get paid, but stranger things have happened.

Maybe. But if that's the goal, why not have left already? The added exposure of playing at Mason? I guess that's possible after a weird COVID year, but he's already graduated, so degree is in hand.

I guess my thinking, which admittedly comes from a middle aged softish in the middle guy & not elite athlete in prime, is why not take the extra year and finish your Masters for a post-playing career, if that's even the goal. Wouldn't be a shocker to see him turn down a 6th year, but we've not even played game 1 yet, so just a bit early for me to write it off as "obviously" not coming back.

Patriot8

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Circling back on Cam Walker. Less heralded than the other 2 members of the class, but the more I read, the more I Iike. He had a huge summer, plays for a very good program at Milton (GA), and should have an increased role with them this season. Defensive versatility, consistent shot making & toughness.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
Circling back on Cam Walker. Less heralded than the other 2 members of the class, but the more I read, the more I Iike. He had a huge summer, plays for a very good program at Milton (GA), and should have an increased role with them this season. Defensive versatility, consistent shot making & toughness.
You can never have too many shooters in the modern game. Another area where we have struggled mightily since L’s departure.

Also for the sake of team-building, Mason’s roster is never going to be all 3- and 4-star recruits. But as @sleeperpick has accurately noted, it’s better to have the overlooked diamond in the rough be the exception rather than the rule.

mkaufman1

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You can never have too many shooters in the modern game. Another area where we have struggled mightily since L’s departure.

Also for the sake of team-building, Mason’s roster is never going to be all 3- and 4-star recruits. But as @sleeperpick has accurately noted, it’s better to have the overlooked diamond in the rough be the exception rather than the rule.

Happy to have a guy like Walker on board because shooters are so important and like Jim said, where Mason has struggled. I will have to take a look at him as well because I don't know that much about him either.

Honestly, we've been trained as Mason fans for years to settle for diamonds in the rough or overlooked recruits to come and be awesome instead of rosters of 3 or 4 stars. I do agree a whole roster of that type of talent is generally not realistic.

That said, English is well on his way to changing that mindset to have the potential of having a team every year with a few players who are 3/4 stars. Without looking anything up, it always seems like every other program is signing top talent in the league, so there is no reason why he can't or won't do the same thing. I know I sound nuts because I actually have expectations that Mason is going to acquire top talent to compete with the very best in the A10. Highly regarded guys like Dinkins/Fernandez and adding a guy like Walker is only the beginning.

I'm very pleased with the 2022 class to date with Walker/Fernandez/Dinkins and we have to think that they aren't done being interested in Godfrey/Campbell. We also can't forget about the transfer cycle after the season either.

Patriot8

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They take official visits even after they commit? Is that a new thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nisquith99

Recent Tweets