Welcome Austin Ball

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Watched the rest of the game (Capital All-stars won by 7 and lead almost the whole game) but Ball didn't get much time. The announcer even mentioned in the 3d quarter that Ball was one of the better shooters but hadn't even taken a shot. Indeed, while he was in the game a few times (5 man rotations) I only remember him touching the ball once. 2 hrs that I'll never get back---I regret that the game was televised.
Thanks for taking one for the team!

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Thanks for taking one for the team!
You're welcome! Probably not as painful an experience as I made it out to be. But the fact that Ball barely got time was made even more frustrating with the tv coverage being more focused on promoting than reporting the game. Talking about the "great crowd" when it looked like it was sparsely attended.

And only mentioning briefly the "legal issues" that Petey Williams (star of the US National team) is facing. Had to look up to find that he's out on bond for having fired a shot into another vehicle. Memphis is awaiting the outcome of that trial to see if they will back out of their scholarship commitment to him.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You're welcome! Probably not as painful an experience as I made it out to be. But the fact that Ball barely got time was made even more frustrating with the tv coverage being more focused on promoting than reporting the game. Talking about the "great crowd" when it looked like it was sparsely attended.

And only mentioning briefly the "legal issues" that Petey Williams (star of the US National team) is facing. Had to look up to find that he's out on bond for having fired a shot into another vehicle. Memphis is awaiting the outcome of that trial to see if they will back out of their scholarship commitment to him.
Think he fired multiple shots into a car…some kind of dispute. Not sure he goes directly to Memphis.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Thanks for reporting back and mentioning about the game. In person I remember it being essentially an allstar game with barely any defense.

At least back in 2017, Mar got some more playing time and had a good block in transition. He may have even hit a three pointer. It sucks that Ball couldn't even get more than 2 shots and a few minutes. I also remember the crowd not exactly being so full and mostly it being a lot of coaches and family members.

DRK331

Starter
What do you guys think of Austin Ball? What kind of playing time, role etc will he get in his freshman year?

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
What do you guys think of Austin Ball? What kind of playing time, role etc will he get in his freshman year?
Love him, love his grit, love that he stuck around, love his shooting, love that he takes charges, love that he seems to have a toughness/attitude we've lacked at times. All A10 rookie team. You heard it here first. Given that it looks like Haynes and Newton won't get the waivers it opens up minutes for Ball and Okojie. Too much to have Okojie on the all rookie team as well?

I swear I've had nothing to drink, nor have I injested any mind altering substances at all. I just think we have two guys who can/will develop into really good players.

DRK331

Starter
Love him, love his grit, love that he stuck around, love his shooting, love that he takes charges, love that he seems to have a toughness/attitude we've lacked at times. All A10 rookie team. You heard it here first. Given that it looks like Haynes and Newton won't get the waivers it opens up minutes for Ball and Okojie. Too much to have Okojie on the all rookie team as well?

I swear I've had nothing to drink, nor have I injested any mind altering substances at all. I just think we have two guys who can/will develop into really good players.

Thanks for the insight!

Also, how tall is Austin Ball? 6'4 or 6'7??

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

psyclone

Hall of Famer
From A10talk by the same (Fordham) guy (Tom Aiello) that did the Preseason Ranking of conference teams. This is not a ranking of Freshmen...just one from each team.

George Mason- Austin Ball

I’m a big fan of Ball’s potential in the Tony Skinn offense. He’s relatively raw but has the skills to fit into the style that Skinn wants to play with. Ball is also the prototypical build that Kevin Willard would covet; in this case, it’s one of his former assistants. At 6’7”, he can shoot from range and block some shots in the middle. He presents a promising two-way potential for this George Mason “renovation” — along with the Almanac saying that Skinn loves his character off the court.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I love this time of the year when all our players are future all conference and we are undefeated.
WSCtLPJ.gif