The NEW/Game 13 Thread: GMU at #6 Kansas on Saturday, January 1, at 5PM

psyclone

Hall of Famer
At least they didn't ask you about your school "George Madison" or say "whats the school you talk about? George Washington?"...

or did they...
No, at least they didn't commit that faux pas! On the other hand, I don't know the words "George Mason" ever crossed their lips while they were here!

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Does anyone actually read the Washington Post anymore?
I'm only half kidding. 20 years ago, complaining to the Post was worthwhile. In 2021/2022?? I'm not so sure. They play a role and I would certainly love more coverage from them (or at least get the stats correct....), but there are probably better media/pr strategies than hammering the Post that make sense in today's environment.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I’m more upset about the coaches show tonight be canceled than the WP coverage. Tonight was when I thought we would get the inside skinny on how the scheduling of the Wisconsin and Kansas games went down. I wanted to hear how they got the news about the Wisconsin cancellation and how/when he told the team. I wanted to get more details from KE on his play anyone, anytime, anywhere philosophy. Instead, our next show will toward the end of the month and all of it will be an afterthought.

If only there was some sort of technology out there where you could do an interview with someone through a computer and it’s camera and you don’t have to go be there in person… you could call it Zoon or something… someone should invent something like that.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I too was curious how they got the other guys back from Kansas who were covid protocol etc. Can't they zoom it?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Does anyone actually read the Washington Post anymore?
I'm only half kidding. 20 years ago, complaining to the Post was worthwhile. In 2021/2022?? I'm not so sure. They play a role and I would certainly love more coverage from them (or at least get the stats correct....), but there are probably better media/pr strategies than hammering the Post that make sense in today's environment.
Although the Post's print edition like every other newspaper is down substantially over the years, its overall reach due to digital subscriptions has increased dramatically. According to their stats, they had more than 79 million unique visitors to their site for the month of August. By comparison, the Wall Street Journal had just under 55 million for the same month.

Their print edition —although still marginally profitable —is almost an afterthought, which is why they usually go to press so early. If the Nats or Wizards play a game anywhere outside the Eastern time zone, you will likely have to go online to read about it. Sadly, for fans of local college teams like ours, they choose not to allocate the resources to cover basketball teams other than Maryland and Georgetown.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
they cover non DC teams and shitty AF Gtown over us and GW (GW sucks but still). Gonna take a lot of winning to change it and I agree with you. But I am not sure sending someone to Kansas for coverage was the point of contention regardless
I agree about the Kansas issue. I wasn't referring to that.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

“'It’s less about the talent and more about how well-coached they are, how disciplined they are,' English said. 'I think our talent level is a wash. I think we have the same level of players. But obviously, they have a Hall of Fame coach that has made a living here at getting a lot out of some pretty average players.'

English stops himself there, because he knows the history. KU and coach Bill Self have landed lots of great players in the past, and he starts rattling off a quick list from the top of his head: Joel Embiid, Andrew Wiggins, Marcus and Markieff Morris, Thomas Robinson.

This team, though, appears to be different. Self doesn’t have any one-and-dones, and if any KU players do become NBA first-round picks, it’s because they’ve made themselves into that over time. That’s part of the beauty of what Self has built at KU, English says.

'I’m more impressed with what he does — winning championships and the success — with good players,' English said. 'Kansas won’t beat themselves.'

"English also had some tricks up his sleeve. He pulled out a Triangle-and-2 defense his team had never shown before to mix KU up, with Self saying afterward that his coaches had trouble distinguishing it from a Box-and-1 because of its interesting shape. KU had never prepared for that in practice, then turned it over on consecutive possessions while trying to navigate the unfamiliar setup.

All that, though, didn’t result in an upset because of some underlying factors. KU turned it over only nine times in 68 possessions, with a pair of those coming against George Mason’s Triangle-and-2 curveball. The Jayhawks won on offense with shot volume, yet while they took care of it, they also zipped it quickly side to side to break down George Mason’s help-heavy defense."

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
9A69A35B-3508-45B2-A953-DEAB9717E604.jpeg
8B18DCD2-7253-4448-9D9C-EB37A62E1DB9.jpeg
D4435F03-961E-4CC4-94F2-494958E58BF4.jpeg

Some pics of the Kansas Hall of Fame I have been meaning to post. It is done really nice!

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Is this a good time to bring up the GMU Athletic Hall of Fame?
Yes absolutely.

Answer: No space. Where is it supposed to go in EBA? IF someone has an answer email Zack Bolno. I have asked him as has friends, and thats the answer we get

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Yes absolutely.

Answer: No space. Where is it supposed to go in EBA? IF someone has an answer email Zack Bolno. I have asked him as has friends, and thats the answer we get

How about first activating the GMU Athletic Hall of Fame, which has been dormant for decades?

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yes absolutely.

"Gee that's a great idea, we'd really love to have an athletics hall of fame, but by golly we just don't have anywhere to put it." Lol that's such a low effort excuse.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
"Gee that's a great idea, we'd really love to have an athletics hall of fame, but by golly we just don't have anywhere to put it." Lol that's such a low effort excuse.
coaching changed and Jay Marsh's grumpy a** is finally retired, but everything else accept social media seems to continue to stay status quo. It's sickening

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I mean sure its an excuse and relatively lame, but space for anything is an issue at EBA. Thats why gold room has remained what it is for 30 years.

If you have an idea of where it should be, do share, because I certainly can't think of one. The RAC? In the office area? In the Practice Facility?

Talk to Brad about it and see what you get in terms of a response.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If they wanted to put in the effort, we would have one. Period.