The NEW/Game 13 Thread: GMU at #6 Kansas on Saturday, January 1, at 5PM

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
It’s very strange to me that between yesterdays broadcast of the game and the post game articles that I read today, the Kansas media talks about them missing their players, but there is no mention anywhere that we basically traveled to Kansas and played the game with 8 scholarship players. I’m not saying we would have won if we had everyone, but I would think it’s a significant storyline that viewers/readers should be aware of. All the talk of us going small - did you ever think to look at our bench and see we only had 8 guys?

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Just once without sitting a year I believe is the current rule.
I think it’s actually called the “1 time transfer rule”
How come Kier was able to go to Georgia and then Arizona without sitting out? Covid exception?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Oduro is our big man, we need depth down low too.

I still have faith in Henry and Blake to develop into something.

Blake just needs to work on his strength and Henry needs to refine his offense. Not sure if either will ever get to starter quality but who knows.

Could definitely use another low post big in 23 though.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Props to the KU fans - https://www2.ljworld.com/sports/ku-...jayhawks-in-76-67-home-win-over-george-mason/

"'And the crowd was unbelievable. To have that many people at a game that was not part of the season ticket package, selling it in 72 hours, in minus-15 degree weather (with) ice all over the road and most of them have to come from distance; it’s just incredible to me that our people show up like they do. That was people that just love KU.'

Although empty seats were easy to spot inside Allen Fieldhouse on Saturday, KU announced the game as a sellout, meaning that every ticket was sold even if not every seat had a body in it. The successful effort in the ticket office extends the program’s streak of consecutive sellouts to 325."

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It’s very strange to me that between yesterdays broadcast of the game and the post game articles that I read today, the Kansas media talks about them missing their players, but there is no mention anywhere that we basically traveled to Kansas and played the game with 8 scholarship players. I’m not saying we would have won if we had everyone, but I would think it’s a significant storyline that viewers/readers should be aware of. All the talk of us going small - did you ever think to look at our bench and see we only had 8 guys?
Noticed the same thing. TV guys never brought it up the missing GMU players.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Props to the KU fans - https://www2.ljworld.com/sports/ku-...jayhawks-in-76-67-home-win-over-george-mason/

"'And the crowd was unbelievable. To have that many people at a game that was not part of the season ticket package, selling it in 72 hours, in minus-15 degree weather (with) ice all over the road and most of them have to come from distance; it’s just incredible to me that our people show up like they do. That was people that just love KU.'

Although empty seats were easy to spot inside Allen Fieldhouse on Saturday, KU announced the game as a sellout, meaning that every ticket was sold even if not every seat had a body in it. The successful effort in the ticket office extends the program’s streak of consecutive sellouts to 325."
Ehhh, having an anonymous donor buy all the tickets just so it could be considered a sell out dampens the spirit of it for me.

DRK331

Starter
Going into Phog Allen Fieldhouse and winning there is very difficult, so the fact that we came into their place and were at times 2-3 possessions away from winning is really good to me. The future is bright for Mason Basketball.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Going into Phog Allen Fieldhouse and winning there is very difficult, so the fact that we came into their place and were at times 2-3 possessions away from winning is really good to me. The future is bright for Mason Basketball.

Actually held a small lead for a little bit in the first half. Kansas didn’t just lead wire to wire.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
i hope that Kansas comes east next year to play us

how about the GMU Invitational
Friday night
GMU vs Wisconsin
Va or VaTech vs Kansas

Sunday
GMU vs Kansas
Va or Va Tech vs Wisconsin

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Friday night
GMU vs Wisconsin
Va or VaTech vs Kansas

Sunday
GMU vs Kansas
It would be cool for us to host a tourney for a change. Although offering a trip to Fairfax in lieu of The Bahamas, Hawaii, and other exotic locales would be a hard sell. But if freaking South Dakota can do it why can't we?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
The Washington Post print edition had a 5-sentence writeup on the game including:

"D'Shawn Schwartz had 15 points and 12 rebounds and Davonte Gaines also scored 15 for George Mason."

Actually, Schwartz had 15 points, 4 rebounds, and a team-high 5 assists. And, Gaines had 15 points and a game-high 12 rebounds.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Friday night
GMU vs Wisconsin
Va or VaTech vs Kansas

Sunday
GMU vs Kansas

Yeah the only way that happens is in a video game. Not a chance otherwise.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah the only way that happens is in a video game. Not a chance otherwise.
Keep Hope Alive

KE has generated a lot of goodwill and excitement with his willingness to play anybody, anywhere
this may be a prelude to the New status of GMU BBall

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It would be cool for us to host a tourney for a change. Although offering a trip to Fairfax in lieu of The Bahamas, Hawaii, and other exotic locales would be a hard sell. But if freaking South Dakota can do it why can't we?
I believe the last time we hosted a tournament was the US Air Holiday Classic in late December of 1997. We beat Northeastern and lost to GW. Army was the 4th team in the tourney

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I believe the last time we hosted a tournament was the US Air Holiday Classic in late December of 1997. We beat Northeastern and lost to GW. Army was the 4th team in the tourney

Not exactly the same, but we were a host pod for the Preseason NIT, and also I think got a non bracketed tournament game from one of those exempt tournaments under Paulsen.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Hartwell is entitled to a 5th year of eligibility. However, the NCAA has yet to rule whether players like Hartwell will count against the program's 13-scholarship limit for the 2022-23 season.
Will mason be willing to fork up the money to have another scholarship player?