OT: The Elmar Bolowich Era is Over

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Bolowich collected 397 career wins in a head coaching career spanning more than three decades.

'We are committed to finding a new voice to energize our men's soccer program and lead us in a highly-competitive Atlantic 10 Conference,' Edwards shared.

A national search for George Mason's next head coach will begin immediately."

Steven Goff
@SoccerInsider
·
11h

Elmar Bolowich, a prominent coaching figure in NCAA soccer for decades, is out as George Mason boss after just two seasons. He had a 2-19-4 record. #gmu

psyclone

Hall of Famer

"Bolowich collected 397 career wins in a head coaching career spanning more than three decades.

'We are committed to finding a new voice to energize our men's soccer program and lead us in a highly-competitive Atlantic 10 Conference,' Edwards shared.

A national search for George Mason's next head coach will begin immediately."

Steven Goff
@SoccerInsider
·
11h

Elmar Bolowich, a prominent coaching figure in NCAA soccer for decades, is out as George Mason boss after just two seasons. He had a 2-19-4 record. #gmu
And winless in the A10.....0-11-3. Quite a reversal of his records at UNC and Creighton.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
For someone who doesn't speak soccer, why would a coach leave the ACC to come coach at Mason? I mean, I've seen our facilities, and I wouldn't be impressed if I were a coach or athlete ... unless I'm just completely clueless and all soccer facilities are, shall say, minimalistic in nature.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
For someone who doesn't speak soccer, why would a coach leave the ACC to come coach at Mason? I mean, I've seen our facilities, and I wouldn't be impressed if I were a coach or athlete ... unless I'm just completely clueless and all soccer facilities are, shall say, minimalistic in nature.

Of course, the school could potentially upgrade its facilities - https://www.vmdo.com/patriot-park-stadium-design.html

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

They wouldn’t.

I said it last time this job opened up, I think they should look outside academia for a new coach, someone connected to youth development. The best coaches are at the academies. You could take a hard look at the Philadelphia Union and Dallas Academy coaches.

I say we bring in Mark Pulisic for an interview, maybe Bob Jenkins at Bethesda SC.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Winless in the A10?!?!
I'm too lazy to look it up but when was the last time men's soccer was in the NCAA?
More broadly, when was the last time any Mason team made it to the NCAA?

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
If you don’t count individuals (Track and Field, Swimming and Diving, Wrestling) this would be it.

Soccer: 2013 Baseball: 2014 Volleyball: 2016

So, Mason has had just 1 team compete in an NCAA tourney since Brad Edwards was hired on July 1, 2014.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Winless in the A10?!?!
I'm too lazy to look it up but when was the last time men's soccer was in the NCAA?
More broadly, when was the last time any Mason team made it to the NCAA?
Your question made me look up just the most recent season for both men and women. Some sports don't track wins and losses but those that do reveal the following:

Men's Teams Combined are 51-69-1.
Women's Teams Combined are 47-82-1.
Overall record for Mason athletics? An astounding 98-151-2.
So, we pretty much suck at everything.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I definitely hesitate to blame any individual for anything, but at what point do you look at the athletic director when his job is to put a winning product on the field/floor and we have completely failed to do so? 7 years is a pretty hefty sample size

I'd say it's pretty clear they really only care about men's basketball, and moving into the A-10 was something this program was not ready for. We are STILL trying to play catch-up with one hand tied behind our back due to poor infrastructure (both physical and systemic).

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I'd say it's pretty clear they really only care about men's basketball, and moving into the A-10 was something this program was not ready for. We are STILL trying to play catch-up with one hand tied behind our back due to poor infrastructure (both physical and systemic).
I'm sure you're right, and I also have faith that CKE is going to turn it around in year 2, but think about your statement of "they only care about MBB" and then look at our basketball team's record over that same timeline

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm sure you're right, and I also have faith that CKE is going to turn it around in year 2, but think about your statement of "they only care about MBB" and then look at our basketball team's record over that same timeline

That’s where the second half of the statement comes in. We were well behind the other A-10 teams when we came in. Still are, even with the various upgrades we’ve made (many very small incremental steps or done on the cheap).

Hell, everyone talks about how tough St. Peter’s job is and they had an ex-player toss them $5 million to renovate their arena a few years ago. Our biggest donor got to name the practice facility for $275k. Phase II has been on hold for over 5 years now.

And let’s not even talk about what happened with Spuhler Field or why they can’t figure out Mason Stadium (both having needed upgrades 30 years ago, let alone right now).

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
And let’s not even talk about what happened with Spuhler Field or why they can’t figure out Mason Stadium (both having needed upgrades 30 years ago, let alone right now).
One of my guilty pleasures is to flip around ESPN+ to drop in on USC-Upstate at Furman (or pick any random DI school) to see what their baseball facilities look like, then compare it to the Hap. Its a frustrating exercise.