OT: Patrick Chambers Resigns

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://bwi.rivals.com/news/patrick-chambers-steps-down-as-penn-state-men-s-basketball-head-coach:

"First reported by Stadium's Jeff Goodman, Penn State men's basketball head coach Patrick Chambers has stepped down from his post, the Nittany Lions' athletic department announced Wednesday afternoon.

According to the university's press release, Chambers was the subject of an internal investigation regarding additional allegations following a summer report by The Undefeated alleging racially insensitive comments directed toward former point guard Rasir Bolton, who transferred to Iowa State after his true freshman season at Penn State.

In light of 'new allegations of inappropriate conduct' by Chambers that were raised shortly after the original report, leading to 'a review was conducted jointly by Penn State's Affirmative Action and Athletics Integrity offices,' Chambers then submitted his resignation to athletic director Sandy Barbour Wednesday.

Chambers subsequently released a statement announcing his resignation, describing the past 12 months as 'an incredibly difficult year' for him and his family, needing 'a break to re-set and chart' its path forward.

Barbour has named former assistant Jim Ferry the program's interim head coach ahead of the Nittany Lions' 2020-21 season, which has already started preseason practices and is slated to begin competition at the end of November."

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Dave Paulsen would be a great fit there.

Lol not the first person who I've seen make that comment. Unfortunately for Dave (and to a degree us), I don't think Dave has done enough to get a BCS job. If Dave won at Mason already I would be first to say he'd be probably packing his bags for State College very soon.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Lol not the first person who I've seen make that comment. Unfortunately for Dave (and to a degree us), I don't think Dave has done enough to get a BCS job. If Dave won at Mason already I would be first to say he'd be probably packing his bags for State College very soon.
too early for you to understand sarcasm this am Matt?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
too early for you to understand sarcasm this am Matt?

Not ironically, had Paulsen not had such a crappy season last year, it almost makes sense. It's not like Ed DeChellis' and Pat Chambers' resumes look any better than Paulsen's before being hired by Penn State.

I also wouldn't put it past Penn State to bring in a guy like Paulsen who can be a family guy and just tread water. I don't think PSU has ever really been all that ambitious toward its basketball team.

Going back even farther: Jerry Dunn was coach before DeChellis: he was a George Mason assistant and Penn State assistant coach and they hired him off the bench with no head coaching experience, before that it was Bruce Parkhill, who was head coach of William and Mary. Maybe they just elevate Ferry to the permanent position, which would be even more hilarious than hiring Paulsen, because he had an absolutely abysmal record with Duquesne.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not ironically, had Paulsen not had such a crappy season last year, it almost makes sense. It's not like Ed DeChellis' and Pat Chambers' resumes look any better than Paulsen's before being hired by Penn State.

I also wouldn't put it past Penn State to bring in a guy like Paulsen who can be a family guy and just tread water. I don't think PSU has ever really been all that ambitious toward its basketball team.

Going back even farther: Jerry Dunn was coach before DeChellis: he was a George Mason assistant and Penn State assistant coach and they hired him off the bench with no head coaching experience, before that it was Bruce Parkhill, who was head coach of William and Mary. Maybe they just elevate Ferry to the permanent position, which would be even more hilarious than hiring Paulsen, because he had an absolutely abysmal record with Duquesne.
this is way too much LOL
Imagine a guy who can't coach nor recruit being given a Big Ten job even at a school that could care less about basketball. Paulsen can't even recruit or coach above the mean at A-10 level...

Chambers was associate head coach at Villanova for what like 4-5 years? Then made the NCAA tournament in year 2 at Boston University. Do you know what school cares less about basketball than Penn St and gives almost 0 to the program because their sport hockey plays in the winter as well? BU... just being associate head coach at Villanova puts him in a good tier..

Ed Dechellis was a 10 year assistant at Penn St... remember back then schools like Penn St hired mostly on loyalty and familiarity than like it is today... was a shitty coach at East Tennessee St and at Penn St... found his conference at Navy and still kinda sucks... some people just aren't good enough to compete...

DP needs at the very least two tournament appearances to ever move up because the facts are he cannot recruit at even a mediocre level for the conference he is in...

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
hell even Dambrot would be a better choice

https://heatcheckcbb.com/penn-state-basketball-top-potential-coaching-replacements-for-pat-chambers/:

"2) Andrew Toole, Robert Morris

Toole is only 40 years old but has been the head coach of Robert Morris for a decade, winning two NEC regular season titles (2013, 2014) and two NEC tournament titles (2015, 2020). He also has five 20-win seasons on his resume and was at the helm of the Colonials when they knocked off Kentucky in the first round of the NIT in 2013.

Widely regarded as one of the best young coaches in the sport (he’s actually still the 6th-youngest coach in the country), Toole finished his college career at Penn, playing there from 2001-03. He has also been coaching and recruiting in the state since 2006 when he started his career as an assistant at Lafayette.

This would be something of a gamble for Penn State given the major step up in competition. However, the Nittany Lions might need to take that gamble since they are unlikely to attract the hottest names from the mid-major level. Toole is proven and knows the area well, which should put him on Penn State’s short list."

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
https://heatcheckcbb.com/penn-state-basketball-top-potential-coaching-replacements-for-pat-chambers/:

"2) Andrew Toole, Robert Morris

Toole is only 40 years old but has been the head coach of Robert Morris for a decade, winning two NEC regular season titles (2013, 2014) and two NEC tournament titles (2015, 2020). He also has five 20-win seasons on his resume and was at the helm of the Colonials when they knocked off Kentucky in the first round of the NIT in 2013.

Widely regarded as one of the best young coaches in the sport (he’s actually still the 6th-youngest coach in the country), Toole finished his college career at Penn, playing there from 2001-03. He has also been coaching and recruiting in the state since 2006 when he started his career as an assistant at Lafayette.

This would be something of a gamble for Penn State given the major step up in competition. However, the Nittany Lions might need to take that gamble since they are unlikely to attract the hottest names from the mid-major level. Toole is proven and knows the area well, which should put him on Penn State’s short list."

I wanted Andy Toole in 2015, and he actually turned Fordham down. Not surprised if he's on a shortlist. I think he'd be fine although NEC to Big Ten is big jump.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
this is way too much LOL
Imagine a guy who can't coach nor recruit being given a Big Ten job even at a school that could care less about basketball. Paulsen can't even recruit or coach above the mean at A-10 level...

Chambers was associate head coach at Villanova for what like 4-5 years? Then made the NCAA tournament in year 2 at Boston University. Do you know what school cares less about basketball than Penn St and gives almost 0 to the program because their sport hockey plays in the winter as well? BU... just being associate head coach at Villanova puts him in a good tier..

Ed Dechellis was a 10 year assistant at Penn St... remember back then schools like Penn St hired mostly on loyalty and familiarity than like it is today... was a shitty coach at East Tennessee St and at Penn St... found his conference at Navy and still kinda sucks... some people just aren't good enough to compete...

DP needs at the very least two tournament appearances to ever move up because the facts are he cannot recruit at even a mediocre level for the conference he is in...

Dude is never moving up. He probably would have had a better shot at this job if he stayed at Bucknell and kept winning there.

As an argument "I wouldn't put it past" isn't the same as "he should be considered."

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Dude is never moving up. He probably would have had a better shot at this job if he stayed at Bucknell and kept winning there.

As an argument "I wouldn't put it past" isn't the same as "he should be considered."
I mean I get that but you said "Not ironically, had Paulsen not had such a crappy season last year, it almost makes sense." and "It's not like Ed DeChellis' and Pat Chambers' resumes look any better than Paulsen's before being hired by Penn State."

Neither were on what seems to be a downturn of their career when PSU came calling especially Chambers... he was a hot up and comer.

KAOriginal

All-American
Who the F are you people? Where are the REAL Mason grads?

It's not why he won't get hired.....it's how WE make it happen. What can we do to smoke and mirror Penn State to hire him?

Made up social media posts, rumor campaigns....anything......a Tom Sawyer psychology campaign to make Penn St to want him!!!

I feel like Im looking at vcu grads standing around shrugging shoulders passing out french fries and not being people of action.....

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

It's not why he won't get hired.....it's how WE make it happen. What can we do to smoke and mirror Penn State to hire him?

Made up social media posts, rumor campaigns....anything......a Tom Sawyer psychology campaign to make Penn St to want him!!!

I feel like Im looking at vcu grads standing around shrugging shoulders passing out french fries and not being people of action.....
Just need to dose the Penn st AD that makes him think we are still in 2012 when Paulsen looked like he could coach. Maybe hack 24-7 sports so that it shows more than unranked players throughout Paulsens career.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just need to dose the Penn st AD that makes him think we are still in 2012 when Paulsen looked like he could coach. Maybe hack 24-7 sports so that it shows more than unranked players throughout Paulsens career.

Now you're talking. I think you should make a "Dave Paulsen is the best" thread, and then talk about how you love his recruits work and how you're proud of the Mason program for being great students.

JPgmuswim

Starter

Penn State shouldn’t pay any attention to stats, just come to a Mason basketball practice, they’ll think they are looking at a top 25 team and hire DP on the spot.

ephoops

Starter
"...He probably would have had a better shot at this job if he stayed at Bucknell and kept winning there..."

You are probably right. The Bucknell team that DP left was loaded with talent (relative to the competition in the Patriot League). If he had stayed, he would have had at least 3 or 4 more NCAA appearances and might have won a game or two in the tournament with the talent on those teams. With this in mind, he would have been a logical candidate for the Penn St. job.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
You are probably right. The Bucknell team that DP left was loaded with talent (relative to the competition in the Patriot League). If he had stayed, he would have had at least 3 or 4 more NCAA appearances and might have won a game or two in the tournament with the talent on those teams. With this in mind, he would have been a logical candidate for the Penn St. job.

Yeah he would never admit it publicly, but if you hooked DP to truth serum he’d have to admit he screwed up by taking the Mason job and underestimated how daunting it would be to build a winning program in the A-10. He definitely would’ve been better off staying at Bucknell and dominating the Patriot.

Last edited:

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah he would never admit it publicly, but if you hooked DP to truth serum he’d have to admit he screwed up by taking the Mason job and underestimated how daunting it would need to build a winning program in the A-10. He definitely would’ve been better off staying at Bucknell and dominating the Patriot.

Instead of how daunting building a winning program in the A10 I would say he didn't know he'd have the inablity to recruit at the A10 level.