OT - Basketball game ends in a tie last night in Division 2

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ision-ii-game-ends-tie-no-due-safety-concerns
A Division II college basketball game between Winston-Salem State and Johnson C. Smith ended in a 76-all tie Wednesday night after overtime could not be played due to safety concerns.

Winston-Salem State tied the game with 0.3 seconds left on a tip-in by Javan Wells, and a desperation, full-court heave from Johnson C. Smith's Joshua Linson hit two large lightbulbs hanging over midcourt.

"It's the first tie I've ever been a part of," Winston-Salem State coach Bobby Collins told ESPN shortly after the game. "It wasn't about it being dark. The lightbulbs were knocked out of the socket and hanging by a safety chain."

After trying to fix the situation, Johnson C. Smith coach Stephen Joyner Sr., also the athletic director, had a conference with the game officials to reassess the situation, and it was deemed a safety concern.

"We didn't know how long the chains would last," assistant coach Mark Sherill said. "The Winston-Salem coach agreed it didn't look safe. I've been in basketball a long time; this is the first time I've ever had a draw."

sigmanorm

Starter
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ision-ii-game-ends-tie-no-due-safety-concerns
A Division II college basketball game between Winston-Salem State and Johnson C. Smith ended in a 76-all tie Wednesday night after overtime could not be played due to safety concerns.

Winston-Salem State tied the game with 0.3 seconds left on a tip-in by Javan Wells, and a desperation, full-court heave from Johnson C. Smith's Joshua Linson hit two large lightbulbs hanging over midcourt.

"It's the first tie I've ever been a part of," Winston-Salem State coach Bobby Collins told ESPN shortly after the game. "It wasn't about it being dark. The lightbulbs were knocked out of the socket and hanging by a safety chain."

After trying to fix the situation, Johnson C. Smith coach Stephen Joyner Sr., also the athletic director, had a conference with the game officials to reassess the situation, and it was deemed a safety concern.

"We didn't know how long the chains would last," assistant coach Mark Sherill said. "The Winston-Salem coach agreed it didn't look safe. I've been in basketball a long time; this is the first time I've ever had a draw."
Maybe we should employ this approach at halftime? Shoot the lights out!!

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Something similar happened to my JV team in high school. Someone hit the light DIRECTLY above my head on a full-court heave at the buzzer. Thankfully, I was not decapitated, and the score wasn't tied.