NEW NEW Game 18: GMU (9-8 / 5-6) vs vcu (15-4 / 8-2) on Saturday, February 20, at 2:30 PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
vcu is currently 15 - 4 on the season and 8 - 2 in A10 play.

History: Including tournament play DP is 3-9 against the Rams.

vcu won the first time we played this year 66 - 61. Insert box score: https://gomason.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2020-21/vcu/boxscore/10894

Wins: Utah St., Memphis, Mount St. Mary’s, North Carolina A&T, ODU, Western Carolina, JMU, St. Joe’s, GMU, GW, Dayton (x2), LaSalle, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure
Losses: West Virginia, Penn St., Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure

Schedule: https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mbball/schedule
Roster: https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mbball/roster
Stats: https://vcuathletics.com/documents/2021/2/12//vcu_cume_2021.pdf?id=2529

vcu is led by 6’3” “Bones” Hyland (19.3 ppg & 4.0 reb), 6’6” Vince Williams (10.9 ppg & 5.2 reb). 9 other guys average double digit minutes and average between 6.9 and 4.5 points per game. Bones had 23 in the first game against us and Vince Williams chipped in 12.

vcu averages 73.4 points per game while giving up 65.0. The Rams shoot 45.1% from the floor and 34.3% from 3. Opponents are shooting 40.7% from the field and 30.6% from 3. They shoot 75.7% from the free throw line. The Rams are currently out rebounding by their opponents to the tune of .2 boards per game. Opponents have turned the ball over an average of 18.0 times per game.

The game is on NBCSN.

My prediction: Two of DP’s 3 wins against vcu have come on the road including my favorite when we beat them in 17-18 to ruin their senior day. Unfortunately, I don’t think we have it in us to pull off another surprise. Instead, there will be a repeat of past performances where we have a stretch where we can’t handle the pressure and turn it over or take bad shots. We are outclassed and lose by double digits. vcu 75 - Mason 62.

Discuss.

Last edited:
OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The weather saved us from the Bonnies so now vcu is back on track to beat us on Saturday.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I have no issue with the A10 burying us into oblivion with their new scheme to get more teams into the dance. We deserve nothing. Have been a gigantic let down from DP's first words re this team and season. "Best team yet..." what a joke.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://www.vcuramnation.com/forums...at-the-goomoos-at-the-stu-thread.19072/page-3:

duncanlamb:

My mother, bless her 97 year old heart, was a tenured professor in Hispanic Literature at Mason from 1970-1993. She was one of the first professors on the fairfax campus. She actually mentored my high school spanish teacher while he was getting his doctorate. He basically took my mother's spot and he retired 3 years ago

So i am grandfathered in and have a soft spot for the basketball program

To my dismay, i actually had hopes it would actually turn around and be a good program in the A10.
I have more hope for dusquene or fordham at this point.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
https://www.vcuramnation.com/forums...at-the-goomoos-at-the-stu-thread.19072/page-3:

duncanlamb:

My mother, bless her 97 year old heart, was a tenured professor in Hispanic Literature at Mason from 1970-1993. She was one of the first professors on the fairfax campus. She actually mentored my high school spanish teacher while he was getting his doctorate. He basically took my mother's spot and he retired 3 years ago

So i am grandfathered in and have a soft spot for the basketball program

To my dismay, i actually had hopes it would actually turn around and be a good program in the A10. I have more hope for dusquene or fordham at this point.

@duncanlamb explain yourself. I get the Dukes. But Fordham? Come on man, we aren't that low yet. We are still head and shoulders above Fordham in every single aspect of basketball.

George Mason Basketballs new motto -- "At least we aren't as bad as Fordham".

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah I dont know if I would say Mason is as bad as Fordham at this point. I mean St Joes is even worse than Mason.

Duquense is definitely trying a bit harder though.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We have a coaching problem. Maybe a bit of a campus life problem? But infrastructure wise we are punching below our weight. Change the coach and things look different pretty quickly.

As for Fordham, could be a maybe they hire the right guy bias talking? Uncertain if Mason does the right thing this off-season.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I like the argument that vcu does so well is because Richmond is more limited in entertainment options, so more money flows their way, gets invested into the program.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We have a coaching problem. Maybe a bit of a campus life problem? But infrastructure wise we are punching below our weight. Change the coach and things look different pretty quickly.

As for Fordham, could be a maybe they hire the right guy bias talking? Uncertain if Mason does the right thing this off-season.

all starts with the coach.

NewPatriot

Starter
@duncanlamb explain yourself. I get the Dukes. But Fordham? Come on man, we aren't that low yet. We are still head and shoulders above Fordham in every single aspect of basketball.

George Mason Basketballs new motto -- "At least we aren't as bad as Fordham".

Maybe a little too mucb hyperbole on my part.

I got my heart ripped during the URI game.

I lost hope and stopped watching.

Going back and looking at schedule.

No...you are right. Gmu is better than fordham and lasalle by a country mile..i still think mason should be better than 5-6. Too much talent on tbis team...

There is still hope..

Thank you for the sanity check..

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe a little too mucb hyperbole on my part.

I got my heart ripped during the URI game.

I lost hope and stopped watching.

Going back and looking at schedule.

No...you are right. Gmu is better than fordham and lasalle by a country mile..i still think mason should be better than 5-6. Too much talent on tbis team...

There is still hope..

Thank you for the sanity check..

you're a good egg.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I like the argument that vcu does so well is because Richmond is more limited in entertainment options, so more money flows their way, gets invested into the program.
I especially dislike this argument. From someone pretty familiar with both places. People sleep on Richmond cuz it used to be a shithole and has some rough spots. Shoot, I used to say that they should've left it burnt down. But I'd probably find a good time a lot easier in Richmond these days.

The priorities and life style is significantly different though. The NOVA hustle isn't going away any time, and that's what I fear we are fighting more than people choosing other forms of entertainment.