How Many NCAA Bids will the A-10 Get?

St Louis, UMASS, and vcu are locks. GW should feel good, but they've lost 3 out of 4 and if they drop a couple here late (us, Dayton, St Joe's their last 3) it could be dicey.

St Joe's is interesting. Their best non-conference win is BU followed by Vermont. They've got Dayton, St Bonnie, GW and La Salle left. 2-2 probably keeps them in, but a 1-3 finish...they may slide out.

Dayton is REALLY interesting. They would be out in my book right now, but they are red hot and have 4 top 100 wins in OOC play. They also have a hell schedule down the stretch with St Joes, UMASS, ST Louis and Richmond. would 10-6 in the A-10 with wins over St Joe's and Richmond get them in? Maybe.

Richmond's bid could be blow tomorrow night if Mason beats them because they probably aren't beating vcu or winning @ Dayton. That would mean a 9-7 conference record and no "wow" wins outside the conference. They'd be NIT bound.

I'll guess 5 with two of the GW/St Joes'/Richmond/Dayton getting in along with UMASS, vcu and St Louis. It's weird...we could mess up Richmond and GW real good by beating them.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Basically, the conference does not want us winning Wed or Saturday.

What are the financial ramifications if, lets say Richmond, is the 6th team to get in? I know how the NCAA shares $$ with the conferences, but how does the A10 share that $$ among member schools?

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Basically, the conference does not want us winning tomorrow or Saturday.

What are the financial ramifications if, lets say Richmond, is the 6th team to get in? I know how the NCAA shares $$ with the conferences, but how does the A10 share that $$ among member schools?

75 to the schools that get in. The remaining schools split 25

Hopefully 12 or 13 but almost certainly just five.

Dayton and Richmond are listed as bubble first ones out. Even if one goes on a run it likely would be at the expense of GW or UMass.

We are not getting calls to some of these teams down the stretch or in Brooklyn...mostly because of our s##### defense but also....

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Hopefully 12 or 13 but almost certainly just five.

Dayton and Richmond are listed as bubble first ones out. Even if one goes on a run it likely would be at the expense of GW or UMass.

We are not getting calls to some of these teams down the stretch or in Brooklyn...mostly because of our s##### defense but also....

Seems like back in the day when there was talk of the CAA getting an at-large bid (or two), we complained that there was a conspiracy that one or another bottom dwellers in the A-10 or Big East was allowed to make a run in their league tournaments and "steal" a bid that might have gone to the CAA.

So if there still is such a conspiracy, then maybe we will get those calls down the stretch!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Seems like back in the day when there was talk of the CAA getting an at-large bid (or two), we complained that there was a conspiracy that one or another bottom dwellers in the A-10 or Big East was allowed to make a run in their league tournaments and "steal" a bid that might have gone to the CAA.

So if there still is such a conspiracy, then maybe we will get those calls down the stretch!

It won't be us, it'll be one of the bubble teams Dayton or Richmond getting those calls. For instance, St. Bonaventure was 10-6 in the regular season (but 17-12 overall) when they won the aut0-bid two years ago.

I could however see a scenario where we knock off St. Louis (St. Louis is a lock at this point, the only thing that might happen if they lose to us in the A-10 tournament is they might get bumped down to a 4 or 5 seed) after having survived the play-in game thereby allowing an easier path for said Dayton or Richmond into the finals.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
75 to the schools that get in. The remaining schools split 25
So basically, is it worth beating Richmond on Wed night for a chance to receive at least $20,833 of Richmond's NCAA share?
(assuming 1 NCAA share is worth $1M)

psyclone

Hall of Famer
It won't be us, it'll be one of the bubble teams Dayton or Richmond getting those calls. For instance, St. Bonaventure was 10-6 in the regular season (but 17-12 overall) when they won the aut0-bid two years ago.

I could however see a scenario where we knock off St. Louis (St. Louis is a lock at this point, the only thing that might happen if they lose to us in the A-10 tournament is they might get bumped down to a 4 or 5 seed) after having survived the play-in game thereby allowing an easier path for said Dayton or Richmond into the finals.

I agree that St Louis is a lock at this point. But as good as they are, they've been cutting it a bit close recently. Our game is a case in point, but also GW made a good run at them coming back from being 12-14 down early in the second half to tie them at 50. During that stretch, the Billikens played about as poorly as you could imagine.

But then GW suddenly went very cold, and it wasn't always great SLU defense--some questionable non-calls driving to the hoop. SLU righted the ship, but fairly late in the game Jett drove to the rim on 2 straight possessions and missed both times, missing the opportunity to build a more comfortable cushion.

On top of that St. Louis was 12-25 from the FT line and 3-16 from 3 (a real turnaround from our game with them).

Just saying that I think St. Louis loses a game prior to the A10 tournament.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So basically, is it worth beating Richmond on Wed night for a chance to receive at least $20,833 of Richmond's NCAA share?
(assuming 1 NCAA share is worth $1M)

If the A-10 gets 6 teams in, we'd receive $5,952 for each unit the teams garnered over the next 6 years equaling $35.714 per unit. So I would say we'd want as many teams in the A-10 tournament as possible.

But here's the rub, if the A-10 gets six teams in, each of those six teams would gain $20,833 per unit for the next 6 years totally $125,000 per each unit gained. That's a huge difference in funding.

If the A-10 earns 10 units to the NCAA we'd get $350,714 and Richmond will get $1.25 million (provided they are one of the six).

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Yep, can't suck in the A-10 without falling way behind. Look at Fordham and Duquesne, both have been consistent bottom-feeders and it's hard to dig out of that when you're only picking up a fraction of the funding of the top teams.

We have to get our crap together pronto and get back to the tournament. It is imperative.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yep, can't suck in the A-10 without falling way behind. Look at Fordham and Duquesne, both have been consistent bottom-feeders and it's hard to dig out of that when you're only picking up a fraction of the funding of the top teams.

We have to get our crap together pronto and get back to the tournament. It is imperative.

It would behoove us to start getting into the NCAA tournament a little more often than we did in the CAA (this is why we moved up in a conference, right, for a chance at more at-large bids?), or around 3 times out of every 5 years or so. That would keep us well funded and competitive with the new top of the league.

This is why I favor a coaching change this offseason. Can Hewitt be the guy to get us to the NCAA tournament 3 times out of every 5 seasons? No. So, let's find someone who can build a program like that here and give him everything he needs to succeed.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It would behoove us to start getting into the NCAA tournament a little more often than we did in the CAA (this is why we moved up in a conference, right, for a chance at more at-large bids?), or around 3 times out of every 5 years or so. That would keep us well funded and competitive with the new top of the league.

This is why I favor a coaching change this offseason. Can Hewitt be the guy to get us to the NCAA tournament 3 times out of every 5 seasons? No. So, let's find someone who can build a program like that here and give him everything he needs to succeed.

That really is the bottom line, Gemini. Barring a miracle, if Hewitt is given next season, he will be 0-for-4 in getting us to the NCAAs.

That is simply unacceptable, given the program he inherited.