News HOT: GMU has record enrollment; 54% Female

Robot

Administrator
Posted on the MasonHoops.com Blog:

"HOT: GMU has record enrollment; 54% Female" by Chris Metsala

George Mason University has set a record for total student enrollment, according to new figures. Enrollment for the fall semester stood at 33,917 students, up from 32,961 a year before and an increase of 17 percent from the 28,874 students enrolled in 2004, according to a report from the university’s news service. The overall student […]

Continue reading...

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Of the 33,917, 21,990 are undergrads. Of the 21,990, only 3,011 or 13.7% are First-Time Freshman which is really low. I understand that number is set lower to (A) make admission GPA and Test averages higher and (B) On Campus Housing Levels are maxed out.

First-Time Freshman has increased by 11.76% over last year. I really hope Mason pushes to continue to increase that number without compromising on the quality to the entering student.

I think the First Time Freshman number is extremly important because it's these students that will really feel ultra connected to Mason. I don't know if any surveys or studies have been given but I would put money on it that the percentage of donors, season ticket holders, Mason Supporters etc. are exponentially higher than that of transfer students.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Have to keep building more dorms, even though space is becoming limited. The more students living on-campus the better the atmosphere and campus community will be.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Have to keep building more dorms, even though space is becoming limited. The more students living on-campus the better the atmosphere and campus community will be.

Space is not limited Mason has 705 acres with land going all the way to Shirleygate drive.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Space is not limited Mason has 705 acres with land going all the way to Shirleygate drive.

You're right. But I doubt they utilize any of that land by Shirley Gate for dorms or classrooms. As a student or professor I wouldn't want to take a shuttle every time I had to go to class or my dorm. The immediate 'Main Campus' has limited space for dorms other than where the large, main parking lots are now (Lot A, K, J), which will be converted to dorms/classrooms/retail space in the future. Then, parking becomes a huge issue (which it already is, nobody, and I mean nobody likes Mason Parking).

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
You're right. But I doubt they utilize any of that land by Shirley Gate for dorms or classrooms. As a student or professor I wouldn't want to take a shuttle every time I had to go to class or my dorm. The immediate 'Main Campus' has limited space for dorms other than where the large, main parking lots are now (Lot A, K, J), which will be converted to dorms/classrooms/retail space in the future. Then, parking becomes a huge issue (which it already is, nobody, and I mean nobody likes Mason Parking).

True - but to be honest there are more spots than there have ever been with the parking garages. Overall the on campus experience has been dramatically improved.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
True - but to be honest there are more spots than there have ever been with the parking garages. Overall the on campus experience has been dramatically improved.

I'm presuming the Mason Inn will be converted to student housing and that will happen this summer.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Merten told me the shirley gate land is for something "spectacular". I have wondered if football stadium fell into that category.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The large surface parking lots will eventually be replaced with at least 4 additional parking garages, allowing the rest of the space to be converted to dorms or academic space. Some of the older buildings on campus will also be knocked down and replaced.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Merten told me the shirley gate land is for something "spectacular". I have wondered if football stadium fell into that category.

A special research bio-dome in Mertens honor. Students will study why Mertens head was so large and alien-like

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The large surface parking lots will eventually be replaced with at least 4 additional parking garages, allowing the rest of the space to be converted to dorms or academic space. Some of the older buildings on campus will also be knocked down and replaced.

They are also going to open up more quad space as well per the plans.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
eCollegeFinder just created a map with the logo of each state's largest enrollment University. The US Map never looked so sexy...

schools-by-enrollment.jpg

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Texas A&M is a little surprising to me as is Portland State (would have thought Oregon or Oregon State would have had the top enrollment).