I couldn’t agree more with him on the best teams being old. In the A10 especially, all else being equal I think experience trumps a lot of things. Recruit well, and stay old and you can usually be in the conversation for top 4 in the conference. Class wise this is probably the most balanced we’ve been since 2011-2012.Thanks everyone for listening! I thought he said some really interesting stuff. In no particular order here's what I thought was most interesting:
- It's not a coincidence our perimeter players came from the portal and our bigs are freshmen. Seems like that might be a philosophy that underpins future recruiting.
- the best teams in cbb are old. Notes that Schwartz is a 5th year senior while Cooper and Gaines did prep years I think (Cooper also had a medical redshirt, so he's likely old for a junior).
- said high major teams are so portal happy he feels like our two freshmen slipped through the cracks. Couldn't say Mbaye by name but he did say that if Blake Jones was living in California he'd be playing in the Pac12, which I'm surprised no one highlighted yet.
- offensively talked about flowing based on a set of principles, and how he likes free throws and layups more than 3s. Absolutely love that - getting to the rim effectively is a bigger differentiator than 3pt shooting at this level, imo.
- clearly wants to play fast and have the guys run in transition. Given the athletes and scorers he's bringing in, this will be such a breath of fresh air compared to the last ten years.
- TBlack already noted the rotation comment, which I think is standard but also makes a lot of sense. He talks about how competition for a spot in the rotation is healthy and you better be fighting like hell to get back in it if you wind up on the outside.
- not a trash talker. Said his teams at Missouri were too serious for that, and from speaking with him seems 100% believable he probably judges guys who run their mouths.
- will foul up 3 depending on situation and said "absolutely" when I asked about 2 for 1s. Can't wait to ask him more about situational basketball when we hang out!
Just saw this, is the full recording going to be posted anywhere?
Awesome job guys, nice work talking up the program without being over the top, I saw Kathy McKay pop on near the end. Looking forward to more of these. We need to get more fans to join in.
I think this is dope and very unique, I haven’t really seen any other mid major supporters do something like this. Will def be tuning into the next one. How is the Twitter stuff set up? Is there a chat function? Can we drop some questions for y’all on here to ask during these sessions?That was a lot of fun and pretty unique. The Spaces don’t record, which we didn’t know, so we will do a better job marketing our live Twitter podcasts going forward. It does make the event exclusive and must see so look for upcoming interviews. We already have Ticket and Blake Jones lined up and will be working on interviews with AAU coaches and others as well. We will look to do these once a week. Follow @GMURecruiting on Twitter to keep up. This account is run by Petey Buckets and David Houck.
We will be at practice tmrw, tell us..what would you be most excited to see?