Game 8: GMU (4-3) vs South Dakota St. (5-2) on Wednesday, November 24, at 9:30PM.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
But Petey, no amount of ball movement is going to open up a compact zone if they don’t respect your ability to hit the shots the zone is designed to leave open, so if your 3 isn’t falling your second option has to be to get into the middle of the zone and hit from there. Otherwise they’ll continue to clog the paint and dare you to hit from 25 feet on every possession.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
But Petey, no amount of ball movement is going to open up a compact zone if they don’t respect your ability to hit the shots the zone is designed to leave open, so if your 3 isn’t falling your second option has to be to get into the middle of the zone and hit from there. Otherwise they’ll continue to clog the paint and dare you to hit from 25 feet on every possession.
The weak spot of Washington’s zone was at the free throw line. Why we didn’t repeatedly send Oduro to that spot, pass him the ball and force the defense to react, I’m still not sure.

Once you get the ball in that area with a guy who can make a wide-open 15-footer, they have to decide whether to let him shoot or defend him and create an opening somewhere else.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Oduro, Cooper and Gaines have been pretty consistent every game, but the common denominator in our wins and losses has been Schwartz — not just points scored but overall shooting percentage. Seven games might be a relatively small sample, but so far we tend to go as he goes.

Wins
Stoney Brook: 11 points, 62.5%
Penn: 18 points, 55%
Morgan State: 17 points, 44%
Maryland: 24 points, 53%

Losses
James Madison: 7 points, 20%
Washington: 7 points, 37.5%
Nevada: 9 points, 26.6%

The main stat that jumps out to me is that 47 of his total 78 shot attempts have been from behind the arc. That means he has only taken 31 mind-range jumpers and layups. Oftentimes in our losses, he seems to become disengaged when he is either missing from 3 or struggling to get open looks. I would love to see him be more assertive when teams take the 3 away. Either drive in for a closer shot, attempt to draw contact and get to the line, or dish it off to Oduro or another teammate.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In what might be a preview of tonight, Nevada and Washington playing and both teams are shooting worse than they did in their previous game, both teams have had long scoring droughts.

Given the pattern, will we shoot under 10% from 3??!? (Nevada is 1-10 right now)

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
vcu won. I guess the universe has corrected itself.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
In what might be a preview of tonight, Nevada and Washington playing and both teams are shooting worse than they did in their previous game, both teams have had long scoring droughts.

Given the pattern, will we shoot under 10% from 3??!? (Nevada is 1-10 right now)
The announcers seem to report on scoring droughts regularly, even when they are relatively short (2 minutes or so). I think they're working on a very limited script, not having much familiarity with any of the teams . Actually, I don't know if these guys have any connection to S. Dakota St., but my feeling is that they don't.

I notice that Dick Vitale made an appearance at the Zags-UCLA game last night and didn't choose to come to our game with Nevada!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The announcers seem to report on scoring droughts regularly, even when they are relatively short (2 minutes or so). I think they're working on a very limited script, not having much familiarity with any of the teams . Actually, I don't know if these guys have any connection to S. Dakota St., but my feeling is that they don't.

I notice that Dick Vitale made an appearance at the Zags-UCLA game last night and didn't choose to come to our game with Nevada!

Yeah, it Washington was stuck at 5 for 6:00. But Nevada won going away in the second half. Looks like kicking that player off the team worked wonders.

No reason to expect the JackRabbits don't run us clear out of the great state of South Dakota.

If the plane crashes on the way home and they have to turn to cannibalism the general rule of thumb would be to eat a post player or Ian Boyd but I hope they eat all our point guards and also Bill

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m still getting “event about to start” screen. Anyone else able to watch

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Love starting a game with the other team not focusing on driving and beating one guy. Decent looks so far and the refs swallowing the whistle for the first time this tourney

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
All that’s missing from their team is Gene Hackman manning the sideline and Dennis Hopper walking into the gym drunk.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
7 pts for Hartwells assignment in just 3 mins. Schwartz being very aggressive and Ticket on a tough defensive assignment tonight.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Is it too early to say I don’t like English’s defense? Maybe it’s just the players but the whole double and tripling people only to leave shooters so wide open that you can’t recover on them is not working.

Also, what the hell was Hartwell doing trying to guard the paint?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What the hell is any of them doing. Sometimes I think DP is still here.

Last edited:

Masonfan3

Starter
SDSU may drop 120 on us tonight. Leaving dudes wide open and all of their players move with a purpose…sign of a well coached team.