Game 26: GMU (13-12 / 6-6) at vcu (18-7 / 11-3) on Wednesday, February 23, at 7PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
vcu is currently 18-7 on the season and 11-3 in A10 play. They are 9-4 at home, 8-1 on the road, and 1 - 2 at neutral sites.

History: Including tournament play GMU is just 4-13 vs vcu as a member of the A10.

We lost to the Rams 85-70 when we played them at home on February 12. It was a beatdown in pretty much every sense of the word. We allowed them to shoot 50% in the first half and 60.1% in the second half. They made 16 of 18 free throws. We shot just 33% in the first half en route to an early 10 point deficit. We also turned the ball over 17 times which gave vcu an easy 20 points. Ace Baldwin had 18 points and 10 assists while 4 other Rams scored double figures. KE attributed the loss to fatigue and called the result an “outlier.” We’ll see how the team responds to this latest challenge.
Box score: https://gomason.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22/vcu/boxscore/11420

Schedule: https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mbball/schedule
Roster: https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mbball/roster
Stats: https://vcuathletics.com/documents/2022/2/18//team_cume.pdf?id=3068

vcu averages 65.2 points per game while giving up 60.6. The Rams shoot 45.3% from the floor and 35.3% from 3. Opponents are shooting 38.5% from the field and 26.9% from 3. The Rams shoot 68.0% from the free throw line. vcu has been out rebounded their opponents by 2.6 boards per game. They turn opponents over to the tune of 17.3 per game while turning the ball over 15.0 times per game themselves.

The game is on MASN2 and ESPN+.

My prediction: The Optimist: We have ruined their Senior Night in the past, it sure would be nice to do so again. It’s interesting that they are choosing to celebrate "Senior Night" against us even though it is not their last home game of the season. We will see if fatigue was in fact an issue and whether the game truly was an outlier. Do we compete or get blown out again? I think somewhere in-between. vcu wins by 7. We fall to 4 - 14 vs the Rams as A10 members.
The Pessimist: They trade us for a pack of smokes in the big house and we remain their “bi*ch. Rams 75 - Mason 45.

Their inferiority as an institution still warrants jokes:
How do you get a vcu grad to leave your porch?
Pay him for the pizza.

How does a vcu grad get a Mason grad to leave the porch?
Honor the search warrant and let them in.

Discuss.

Last edited:

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We just lost to Fordham. This team just doesn't seem to want to win on the road, no heart and no passion. Lifeless.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If we play like dog poo like mason did today, and similar to the way the first vcu game went - then mason will get blown out. vcu is playing great ball right now.

hoops10

Sixth Man
Not sure what happened to Oduro's lack of toughness. Fordham had a great game plan, double up on Oduro, bang him around and in effect take him out of the game. Just look at his turnovers. That pass behind his back was really bad. Fordham took their chances with Mason's outside shooting. So with exception of XJ their starting five were throwing up bricks. They also shadowed Schwartz and Gaines. Both were forcing shots. Say what u want, but Fordham had a great game plan. Credit to them. Problem is Masons opponents now have a good game plan. Hope KE comes up with a new strategy.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Whenever a team changes focus in practices, it takes one game cycle for the effort to take effect (auughghgh... @Fordham). CKE dedicated last week's practice sessions to defense. Lost ugly to Fordham. I expect @vcu to be a battle. If not? ...well, I tried.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Pains me to say it but I think the only way we steal this one is if vcu coasts into the game thinking it's in the bag since they're playing great right now and beat us so bad last time. We're gassed, and vcu has figured out how to have a halfway decent offense all of the sudden. Worst case scenario....if Bona wasn't so hot I'd figure vcu easy winners for the A10 tourney if it started tomorrow.

We MUST have a plan if they get hot for a 5+ minute stretch like they did in our game. That's basically all they need to win with their defense.

Still going to watch...stopping by Lowes today to get some drywall so I don't have to punch through my walls from the anxiety/frustration.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
For those of you going to the game, the Richmond alumni chapter is hosting a pregame:

Join us for pregame @ Pies & Pints from 5 – 6:30pm! Tables will be reserved and pizza will be provide by MasonRVA. Pies & Pints has great pizza and over 30 beers on tap that change daily (see drinks menu). Wine by the glass, as well as bottled beer, cider, seltzers & spirit cocktails are available as well.

Details Here

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
vcu is currently 18-7 on the season and 11-3 in A10 play. They are 9-4 at home, 8-1 on the road, and 1 - 2 at neutral sites.

History: Including tournament play GMU is just 4-13 vs vcu as a member of the A10.

We lost to the Rams 85-70 when we played them at home on February 12. It was a beatdown in pretty much every sense of the word. We allowed them to shoot 50% in the first half and 60.1% in the second half. They made 16 of 18 free throws. We shot just 33% in the first half en route to an early 10 point deficit. We also turned the ball over 17 times which gave vcu an easy 20 points. Ace Baldwin had 18 points and 10 assists while 4 other Rams scored double figures. KE attributed the loss to fatigue and called the result an “outlier.” We’ll see how the team responds to this latest challenge.
Box score: https://gomason.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22/vcu/boxscore/11420

Schedule: https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mbball/schedule
Roster: https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mbball/roster
Stats: https://vcuathletics.com/documents/2022/2/18//team_cume.pdf?id=3068

vcu averages 65.2 points per game while giving up 60.6. The Rams shoot 45.3% from the floor and 35.3% from 3. Opponents are shooting 38.5% from the field and 26.9% from 3. The Rams shoot 68.0% from the free throw line. vcu has been out rebounded their opponents by 2.6 boards per game. They turn opponents over to the tune of 17.3 per game while turning the ball over 15.0 times per game themselves.

The game is on MASN2 and ESPN+.

My prediction: The Optimist: We have ruined their Senior Night in the past, it sure would be nice to do so again. It’s interesting that they are choosing to celebrate "Senior Night" against us even though it is not their last home game of the season. We will see if fatigue was in fact an issue and whether the game truly was an outlier. Do we compete or get blown out again? I think somewhere in-between. vcu wins by 7. We fall to 4 - 14 vs the Rams as A10 members.
The Pessimist: They trade us for a pack of smokes in the big house and we remain their “bi*ch. Rams 75 - Mason 45.

Their inferiority as an institution still warrants jokes:
How do you get a vcu grad to leave your porch?
Pay him for the pizza.

How does a vcu grad get a Mason grad to leave the porch?
Honor the search warrant and let them in.

Discuss.
I think we bounce back. vcu isn't going to post the same shooting % as they did in the first game and I think our numbers improve. Will we win? Hard to say but I think we keep it close...and maybe we pull it out.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Don't know what anyone has seen recently to think we will bounce back. You all must just be relying on the "due theory". It's nice to be hopeful, but all evidence suggests this one won't be close.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Don't know what anyone has seen recently to think we will bounce back. You all must just be relying on the "due theory". It's nice to be hopeful, but all evidence suggests this one won't be close.

Agreed. Talk is cheap at this point. It's time for the bench to step up from here on out. The starters need rest.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"• In league play, Oduro averages 20.0 ppg (1st in A-10) and 8.0 rebounds per game (8th). In A-10 contests, he also is fifth in blocks (2.2 per game).

• One of the nation's top-40 3pt shooting teams (.370), the Patriots are making just 30.1 percent (25-83) of their attempts over the past three contests.

• In A-10 games, Mason foes are shooting 36.1 percent from deep against the Green & Gold (11th in A-10).

• Mason is a perfect 9-0 when winning the turnover battle this season and 4-10 when its opponent holds the turnover edge."

NewPatriot

Starter
i'll give you some reasons. vcu almost screwed the pooch at fordham. They had a 17 pt lead and blew in the second half. Fordham came within 2 with a.couple minutes left.

The point is everryone plays bad at fordham, this is not an indicator of how mason will play the rest of the season.

Will they win at vcu? I dont know but mason has won 3 out the last 4 and 2 in a row at the stu.

Oduro has averaged 23 5 ppg 11.5 rpg in richmond. vcu will be hyped because of senior night but who knows...

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
2h

vcu's Hason Ward (ankle) and KeShawn Curry (knee) will both be available for today's game against George Mason, per Mike Rhoades.

Curry averages 10.2 PPG.

Ward averages 6.9 PPG and 5.2 RPG. Has not played since 2/15.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Curry was the one who yelled "shut the f--- up" to one of our fans during the last game - he's a classy kid that fits right in at vcu.
lol I am sure our fan didn't yell anything at him the entire game... you do realize our coach was not the most PG person in the world when he played at Mizzou right. Kansas and St Louis fans absolutely hate him. don't be so soft