Game 25: University of Massachusetts, Wednesday, February 13th, 7 PM, ESPN+

By George.

Starter
That crowd was embarrassingly pathetic last night, absolutely refused to stand up during crucial possessions at the end of regulation and late in overtime. As bad as our crowds usually are, that was the worst I've ever seen at such crucial moments so late in a game.

Saw you getting busy on the kiss cam though!

Herndon

All-Conference
I feel like the student section needs some LEADERSHIP.

Say what you will about Duke, but before every game, a group of kids hands out flyers to all the people in the student section to coordinate activities, and it's done EVERY game, by the same kids, and they have it going on an annual basis, with roles and responsibilities. They recruit year to year, so that it sticks.

Some kids would have to put in some work, and like stand up before games with a megaphone and say "WHEN I DO X, YOU DO Y" and make sure they have like 20 buddies along for an entire season to LEAD. It's not going to happen without somebody driving.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I feel like the student section needs some LEADERSHIP.

Say what you will about Duke, but before every game, a group of kids hands out flyers to all the people in the student section to coordinate activities, and it's done EVERY game, by the same kids, and they have it going on an annual basis, with roles and responsibilities. They recruit year to year, so that it sticks.

Some kids would have to put in some work, and like stand up before games with a megaphone and say "WHEN I DO X, YOU DO Y" and make sure they have like 20 buddies along for an entire season to LEAD. It's not going to happen without somebody driving.

This happened organically during my era (03-08) until essentially Hewitt killed off interest by year 3. I remember flyers being passed out for cheers and the same group of 10 students helping lead.

By George.

Starter
A lot of complaining about students and fans and for the most part, we agree. I’d argue though, from my vantage point, a lot sections look super lame. What are you doing to improve the crowd around you?

I’ve stated before, we’ve started a campus GK street team to get the student section at least to where we’d like it. Currently getting flags made etc for homecoming. All this comes out of our pockets as of now so if you’d like to take some of that donation money and throw it our way we’ll put it to good use and be transparent about how we spend it. Next year, we are going to fund our street team for pregame meals and also fit them with gear.

I know you guys have seen the FILLEBA sign. More of that to come. I love what Mason is doing reserving the student section next to the Green Machine for frats, cadets, other sports teams etc, yesterday they brought it! They may not have held the FILLEBA sign up well but they found good use of the L https://twitter.com/bygeorgegmu/status/1095871528007274496?s=21

Last edited:

GMUSig03

All-Conference
A lot of complaining about students and fans and for the most part, we agreeit. I’d argue though, from my vantage point, a lot sections look super lame. What are you doing to improve the crowd around you?

I’ve stated before, we’ve started a campus GK street team to get the student section at least to where we’d like it. Currently getting flags made etc for homecoming. All this comes out of our pockets as of now so if you’d like to take some of that donation money and throw it our way we’ll put it to good use and be transparent about how we spend it. Next year, we are going to fund our street team for pregame meals and also fit them with gear.

I know you guys have seen the FILLEBA sign. More of that to come. I love what Mason is doing reserving the student section next to the Green Machine for frats, cadets, other sports teams etc, yesterday they brought it! They may not have held the FILLEBA sign up well but they found good use of the L https://twitter.com/bygeorgegmu/status/1095871528007274496?s=21

Keep doing what you guys are doing! Much appreciated

GMUNatsFan

Walk-On
From the UMass boards:

Funny/irritating moment early first half. Ball goes out of bounds off UMass. McCall tries to get Baptiste into the game. Baptiste hustles to the scorer's table, points at the scorer, scorer points at Baptiste (no horn sounds) and (I assume) Baptiste took that as a signal to go in. Unfortunately, the refs did not see eye-to-eye with our 6-on-5 defensive scheme, and we were assessed a technical as the Mason guy was dribbling the ball up court. They make one of two technical free throws and my first thought was this game better not go to overtime.
icon_evil.gif

You can look at the scorekeeper all you want, you can't go in the game until the ref calls you in. First time I have seen this happen in a College game in all my years of stats keeping (and that is too may to admit too.)

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
A lot of complaining about students and fans and for the most part, we agree. I’d argue though, from my vantage point, a lot sections look super lame. What are you doing to improve the crowd around you?

I just spit my food out laughing. Very funny!

I have been wondering for a couple games.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
https://www.gazettenet.com/Tre-Wood-shines-in-homecoming-against-George-Mason-23540614

FAIRFAX, Va. — Nearly a year ago, Tre Wood was in the stands as UMass and George Mason battled through overtime.

Wood was still a senior at St. John’s College High School in Washington D.C. – a short drive from George Mason’s campus in Fairfax, Virginia – and watched as the Minutemen rallied from a 16-point halftime deficit to take a three-point lead with 11 seconds left. The Patriots would hit three free throws in the final seconds to force overtime and eventually defeated the Minutemen by two.

A year later, Wood was on the floor and in the middle of the action in front of dozens of friends and family as George Mason and UMass battled in yet another overtime affair on Wednesday. The freshman point guard scored a career-high 13 points and tied a season best with eight assists, but UMass squandered a late four-point lead and lost to the Patriots in the extra session. The similarities of the two games was not lost on Wood, who said he felt the same way playing Wednesday as he did watching the Minutemen play last year.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
https://www.gazettenet.com/Tre-Wood-shines-in-homecoming-against-George-Mason-23540614

FAIRFAX, Va. — Nearly a year ago, Tre Wood was in the stands as UMass and George Mason battled through overtime.

Wood was still a senior at St. John’s College High School in Washington D.C. – a short drive from George Mason’s campus in Fairfax, Virginia – and watched as the Minutemen rallied from a 16-point halftime deficit to take a three-point lead with 11 seconds left. The Patriots would hit three free throws in the final seconds to force overtime and eventually defeated the Minutemen by two.

A year later, Wood was on the floor and in the middle of the action in front of dozens of friends and family as George Mason and UMass battled in yet another overtime affair on Wednesday. The freshman point guard scored a career-high 13 points and tied a season best with eight assists, but UMass squandered a late four-point lead and lost to the Patriots in the extra session. The similarities of the two games was not lost on Wood, who said he felt the same way playing Wednesday as he did watching the Minutemen play last year.

I still wonder why we couldn't get this kid.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I dunno. Maybe he wanted to see new places, do new things. Why don't you ask him?

I would if I knew him. Since you know Lamar Butler and he was his Coach, why not ask him for me?