Game 22: GMU (12-9 / 4-4) vs St. Joe’s (9-11 / 3-5) on Sunday, January 29, at Noon.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GMU is 10-5 against St. Joe’s all-time.

We are 9-4 against the Hawks while members of the A10.

KenPom: Gives us a 74% chance of winning.
GMU - 130
St. Joe’s - 198

NET:
Mason - 123
St. Joe’s - 222

St. Joe’s is currently 9-11 on the season and 3-5 in A10 play. They are 7-4 at home, 2-4 on the road, and 0-3 at neutral sites.

Wins: Lafayette (63-59), U Albany (99-79), Penn (85-80 OT), St. Peter’s (73-57), Sacred Heart (77-59), Central Connecticut St. (83-66), Loyola Chicago (86-55), LaSalle (71-59), UMass (74-68)

Losses: Houston (81-55), Georgia (66-53), USF (75-62), Fairleigh Dickinson (97-80), Temple (70-60), Villanova (71-64), St. Louis (83-78), Dayton (76-56), Fordham (66-54), Duquesne (92-80), GW (92-91)

Schedule: https://sjuhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://sjuhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://sjuhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23?path=mbball

St. Joe’s is led by 6’2” Erik Reynolds II (17.6 ppg) and 6’5” Cameron Brown (14.6 ppg & 5.9 reb). Other starters include 6’2” Lynn Greer III (9.1 ppg) and 6’8” Kacper Klaczek (8.7 ppg & 5.6 reb). 6’10” Ejike Obinna (7.1 ppg), 6’2” Christian Winborne (6.6 ppg), and 6’9” Rasheer Fleming (5.6 ppg) have also started over the course of the season.

St. Joe’s averages 72.2 points per game while giving up 72.6. The Hawks shoot 42.5% from the floor and 34.1% from 3. Opponents are shooting 43.3% from the field and 34.7% from 3. The Hawks shoot 68.0% from the free throw line. They have been out rebounded opponents by 1.5 boards per game. St. Joe's averages 13.6 turnovers per contest.

The game is on USA.

My prediction: GMU 75 - St. Joe’s 68. Their annoying Hawk mascot can flap his wings in defeat.

Discuss.

Attachments

• F51B5D55-86D6-4CD9-833B-FEB98798B697.jpeg
    F51B5D55-86D6-4CD9-833B-FEB98798B697.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 5,531
Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If Polite plays I think we win, if Polite is out then we are in trouble
I have actually been pretty pleased with Ronnie this year. He has played better than I thought he would, but he's still not "The Answer." (With apologies to AI.)

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They lost by 1 in OT at GW last night. They were down by 16 early. They had the ball with 9 seconds to go and down 1. GW's defense forced the ball to St Joe's big man who launched a 3 that didnt go in at the buzzer.
Greer (#5) got to the rim at will and went for 31. He could give us problems.........

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They lost by 1 in OT at GW last night. They were down by 16 early. They had the ball with 9 seconds to go and down 1. GW's defense forced the ball to St Joe's big man who launched a 3 that didnt go in at the buzzer.
Greer (#5) got to the rim at will and went for 31. He could give us problems.........
Greer played great. He's got a very quick first step but was been pretty mediocre up until last night. If he turns in another solid performance it'll be tough for us. Klaczek is another guy who played well for them on the offensive end, which is atypical. Reynolds and Cam Brown (who lost 15 lbs and has really upped his game) are both studs who didn't play up to their standards. If they bounce back and Greer and Klaczek turn in decent performance it will be hard for us, no question, but I think repeat performances from these two are unlikely.

If Polite plays I like our chances. Oduro should score his usual 25+ as he seems to do when he faces SJU. No Ronnie, well...(shakes head).

hoops10

Sixth Man
Not trying to nitpick, but just some food for thought. Of course DP was with Mason 6 years, and KE on his third, only second draft class.

D. Paulson in retrospect did pretty darn good when it came to recruiting (see below). Too bad we lost Kolek and Miller. But Oduro was a home run. So far, and KE is only in his 2nd year recruiting, it's too early to tell, but Dinkins and Fernandez look promising. E Naji is a question mark, but B Jones and Peter Oduro, well maybe not. KE does get good marks for transfer players, especially Schwartz ,T. Gaines, D.Cooper and V Bailey. Let's hope his next draft class, and on paper they look very good, we can develop some stars. So it appears to me KE is off to an OK start, but next years class need to be very good. Most importantly he needs a real good big man to replace Oduro thru the transfer portal. Let's hope it all works out.

DP recruits

J. Oduro
J. Miller
T.Kolek
M. Henry
R. Polite
X. Johnson
AJ. Wilson
J. Green

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not trying to nitpick, but just some food for thought. Of course DP was with Mason 6 years, and KE on his third, only second draft class.

D. Paulson in retrospect did pretty darn good when it came to recruiting (see below). Too bad we lost Kolek and Miller. But Oduro was a home run. So far, and KE is only in his 2nd year recruiting, it's too early to tell, but Dinkins and Fernandez look promising. E Naji is a question mark, but B Jones and Peter Oduro, well maybe not. KE does get good marks for transfer players, especially Schwartz ,T. Gaines, D.Cooper and V Bailey. Let's hope his next draft class, and on paper they look very good, we can develop some stars. So it appears to me KE is off to an OK start, but next years class need to be very good. Most importantly he needs a real good big man to replace Oduro thru the transfer portal. Let's hope it all works out.

DP recruits

J. Oduro
J. Miller
T.Kolek
M. Henry
R. Polite
X. Johnson
AJ. Wilson
J. Green
Im not following you. Are you just including players that played or could of played for KE that were DP guys? How does that equal Paulsen doing a "darn good" in recruiting? Laughable.

hoops10

Sixth Man
just commenting on their individual recruiting results. Don't you think KE would be in a much better position if he had Kolek and Miller? As I said We'll see how KE does over the next couple of years in recruiting.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
KE is doing alot better than DP in his first 2 years for sure. However, the next few years will be huge. His network of P5 guys is getting smaller.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
just commenting on their individual recruiting results. Don't you think KE would be in a much better position if he had Kolek and Miller? As I said We'll see how KE does over the next couple of years in recruiting.
I mean sure, those guys have developed into top players in each of their leagues. Kolek has turned into a fantastic PG and Miller is an excellent player at the wing. However, if we keep Miller we probably don't get Gaines. Kolek was definitely recruited but after he showed off his ability in year 1 and his ties to Paulsen we didn't have a chance.
KE is doing alot better than DP in his first 2 years for sure. However, the next few years will be huge. His network of P5 guys is getting smaller.
Agreed, but I also think he still has guys who maybe he recruited and maybe weren't at UT/Colorado but that he still is aware of. Otherwise, I'm guessing it will be new contacts. We'll see how the roster is constructed.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
His network of P5 guys is getting smaller.
I've seen this take flying around a lot and I think it's really overdone. For every recruit they land they develop relationships with a dozen more that will go elsewhere. Sure these aren't guys that he will have coached like the others, but of all the problems we have, recruiting pipeline ain't one.

Junkees9

Sixth Man
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I forget the answer -- if they choose to do so, could Oduro and Ticket play another year at Mason? And how many years of eligibility does Ojiako have left?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I forget the answer -- if they choose to do so, could Oduro and Ticket play another year at Mason? And how many years of eligibility does Ojiako have left?
Yes, Oduro, Ticket and Ginika all have one more year after this … people are assuming the first two are gone and the third is coming back, but it’s an open question at this point.

The only ones who are out of eligibility are Coop, VJ and Saquan.