Game 17: GMU (10-6 / 2-1) at St. Louis (10-6 / 2-1) on Wednesday, January 11, at 8:00 PM.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah Josh wasn't shooting late because he had three guys on him on the catch. Needed some damn help.
This is not true in last min and a half. He may have been doubled, barely. Found wide open Cooper who bricked it. My point about Cooper is in previous possession he airballled on the set play off the inbounds. Legs are tired from playing mediocre defense. Look for Bailey who is a more elite athlete and in shape.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Any one of the last 3 road games/losses in isolation wouldn't seem like a huge deal, they're at historically, 3 of the toughest places we routinely visit. But all 3 of them together, hoo boy.

As someone else said, easier road opponents await.

I also have to think, if Ticket was healthy, he would have shut down one of those threes.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Any one of the last 3 road games/losses in isolation wouldn't seem like a huge deal, they're at historically, 3 of the toughest places we routinely visit. But all 3 of them together, hoo boy.

As someone else said, easier road opponents await.

I also have to think, if Ticket was healthy, he would have shut down one of those threes.
Bona isn't very good this year (just lost to Rhode Island) and Saint Louis is very good but Chafitz isn't in the top 5 for toughest road games in A10 IMO. game was ripe for the taking and we choked down the stretch, can't blame that on toughest places to play or the refs like our fans seem to be doing. If anything the fans were heavily helpful to us that game

FreeGunston12

All-American
Wow, the meltdown on here is crazy. It's almost like many of you expected to beat a good team in the conference on the road.

#1 - yes, free throws matter even when you miss them early.
And
#2- the refs swallowed their whistles later on everything except Travis Ford. (And I'm not blaming them nor do I think we should've gotten that call on the inbound at the end of the game). English coached a pretty good game IMO, but Josh couldn't score once they were allowed to get physical with him. We couldn't make the shots that we needed to punish the zone defense.

I'm not for moral victories, but this is what I expected. Actually, I expected to lose by much more.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The beauty of sports and being a sports fan is how perspective matters. I just went back and looked at the predictions before the game started, and there were nine posters who predicted a loss and only two who said definitively they thought we would win (and one was Brian, so that barely counts ;)). The reality is we all went into this game sans Bailey thinking a lot had to go right on our end and wrong on their end to steal this one on the road.

Where the formula changed dramatically is we played well enough and they shit the bed enough for us to actually believe we had a chance to move this would-be loss over to the win column. Had we not watched the game and saw we lost by 1, we all likely would have been ecstatic with the outcome; but, because we lost it in the fashion we lost it — snatching defeat from the jaws of victory — it stings that much more.

Last edited:

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That's gotta be a lack of focus thing...it's hard to comprehend.
We're so mind-numbingly bad at FT's that I almost suspect there's an overemphasis being put on them in practice and the guys are in their own head and nervous during games. There's zero chance KE doesn't have them working on it but at this point a sports psychologist is probably more helpful than anything they do in practice.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The beauty of sports and being a sports fan is how perspective matters. I just went back and looked at the predictions before the game started, and there were nine posters who predicted a loss and only two who said definitively they thought we would win (and one was Brian, so that barely counts ;)). The reality is we all went into this game sans Bailey thinking a lot had to go right on our end and wrong on their end to steal this one on the road.

Where the formula changed dramatically is we played well enough and they shit the bed enough for us to actually believe we had a chance to move this would-be loss over to the win column. Had we not watched the game and saw we lost by 1, we all likely would have been ecstatic with the outcome; but, because we lost it in the fashion we lost it — snatching defeat from the jaws of victory — it stings that much more.
I had us losing by like 8 so while pleasantly surprised at the first 38 mins of play all of that washes away for me when watching and then re-watching the last two mins which were an absolute abomination to winning basketball. That too is a part of fandom

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

And if the last 2 minutes were like the first 38, my reaction would have been "Well, I'll be damned. We have improved and our best player played like an all A-10 guy. 3-1 and let's go!!!"

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

As usual, Tom is making too much sense. However, as much as I was personally pessimistic about the game going in, I thought the way the guys played for most of the second half was enough that we were going to be able to take it. I knew SLU would make some sort of run, but I thought we would have enough to fight them off, and make a key rebound or stop since we've been down this road of "blowing leads on the road".

In the end, it was another tough defeat to add to the last 10 years and left me annoyed at another epic meltdown.

However, like many of us, I'll be back watching our guys at noon tomorrow take on Davidson, and watching at 4pm on Monday.

Last edited:

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm not trying to constantly be a downer but did anyone really watch the first 38 mins thinking "wow we're killing it!"? Like Oduro certainly had his moments and we had flashes but the whole time I was thinking "man, both these teams are trying to lose". It's nice we were in it until the end I wasn't exactly overawed by anything.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm not trying to constantly be a downer but did anyone really watch the first 38 mins thinking "wow we're killing it!"? Like Oduro certainly had his moments and we had flashes but the whole time I was thinking "man, both these teams are trying to lose". It's nice we were in it until the end I wasn't exactly overawed by anything.
doesn't matter if we were killing it, we were up on a consensus top 2 A10 team away. Polite hit two big threes in a row, Saint Louis had their coach ejected and we were in complete control with 8 mins left. We weren't playing like the Jordan Bulls but we were beating a team much better than us (IMO). you aren't a downer but I can't blame anyone for overhyping any time we are beating a team that should be a lot better than us.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Wasn't what I was thinking. I was thinking "holy crap we have a chance to actually win this and I won't feel like I got punched in the nuts".

Sure enough, I felt like I got punched in the nuts.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Wasn't what I was thinking. I was thinking "holy crap we have a chance to actually win this and I won't feel like I got punched in the nuts".

Sure enough, I felt like I got punched in the nuts.
Perfectly echoes my thoughts/frustrations.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
doesn't matter if we were killing it, we were up on a consensus top 2 A10 team away. Polite hit two big threes in a row, Saint Louis had their coach ejected and we were in complete control with 8 mins left. We weren't playing like the Jordan Bulls but we were beating a team much better than us (IMO). you aren't a downer but I can't blame anyone for overhyping any time we are beating a team that should be a lot better than us.
No of course I don't begrudge anyone at being hyped for the possibility of a win. What I'm saying is it isn't like we were lighting the world on fire and then with two mins decided "we are the worst team to ever play the game." I'm just saying the first 38 didn't make me feel any better going forward in our season than I felt going into the game. I was just pleasantly surprised SLU was also having an off night and we had a chance to win.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No of course I don't begrudge anyone at being hyped for the possibility of a win. What I'm saying is it isn't like we were lighting the world on fire and then with two mins decided "we are the worst team to ever play the game." I'm just saying the first 38 didn't make me feel any better going forward in our season than I felt going into the game. I was just pleasantly surprised SLU was also having an off night and we had a chance to win.
I had a lot of the same thoughts, along the lines of thinking that SLU was playing poorly and allowing us to stay in the game - but I was also aware that I have no real expertise to determine whether that was due to our play or theirs. So I just enjoyed the ride until about 1.7 seconds left, bitterly from my couch.