Game 15: GMU (7-7/ 0-1) vs Dayton (12-6 / 4-1) on Saturday, January 22 , at 7PM.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I agree with this, but my main issue is when XJ and Polite are on the court together. It literally gives us a backcourt that can't score consistently outside of two feet. Defense was the primary reason we blew the GW game, but we did ourselves no favors in the last few minutes offensively when Johnson was left with the ball at the top of the key with the shot clock running down.

I was encouraged last night when we were faced with the same situation with XJ at the top of the key, but instead of forcing up a perimeter shot or driving into traffic, he found an open shooter who hit a clutch 3. Kim needs to do a better job of playing to Xavier's strengths rather than putting him in situations that play to his weaknesses.

I hear you, Tom but there are no good answers on the bench when any of our wings needs a rest (or has foul trouble).

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree with this, but my main issue is when XJ and Polite are on the court together. It literally gives us a backcourt that can't score consistently outside of two feet. Defense was the primary reason we blew the GW game, but we did ourselves no favors in the last few minutes offensively when Johnson was left with the ball at the top of the key with the shot clock running down.

I was encouraged last night when we were faced with the same situation with XJ at the top of the key, but instead of forcing up a perimeter shot or driving into traffic, he found an open shooter who hit a clutch 3. Kim needs to do a better job of playing to Xavier's strengths rather than putting him in situations that play to his weaknesses.
There’s not much a coach can do scheme-wise with a PG who is known around the league as a non-shooter. X is still good enough to get to the rim once in a while, but teams play way off him and go under ball screens because they know he can’t hurt them for doing so.

A PG who is a legit perimeter threat does so much to open up any offense. Other than quality depth coming off the bench it’s the most pressing need on our roster.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I see Dinkins backing up a 1-year transfer next year. No offense to XJ, he seems like a terrific young man, but there are dozens of PGs in the portal every year and I have to believe Kim will land one who gives us a clear upgrade at that position.
We needed a PG for this year and should've signed out out the portal.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
He had three guys on the roster that at some point showed signs on film that they might be able to do the job. None of them are stepping up and taking the job. I can’t fault KE for not being able to fix all the problems in one off-season. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He had three guys on the roster that at some point showed signs on film that they might be able to do the job. None of them are stepping up and taking the job. I can’t fault KE for not being able to fix all the problems in one off-season. Rome wasn’t built in a day.
Some of the most trusted guys on these boards said Polite was the answer. He might be the worst of them all. He had to think Hartwell and XJ weren’t bad options either. PG was the one position we were left supposedly deep with. Problem was it was just numbers not talent

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If anyone thought we were even slightly deep at PG then smoke on. Hartwell has been labeled a shooter. Remember the 150 threes comment by CKE?? Polite apparently is still being studied per yesterday's presser. However, In a previous presser, the comment was " Ronnie Polite is really good". That was before Polite made his return to play but was practicing fully. Regardless we all knew he couldn't shoot. Maybe just in an overall slump?? I thought Polite was gonna be better too. Maybe injury is lingering??

That leaves X as our best option and thus a clear need for a PG and why we got Dinkins.

Actually, I'd like to know this on Dinkins....he is same height as Hartwell right?? All those that bash Hartwell for being a liability on defense how is Dinkins height not a liability on switches? How and what makes him presumably supreme to Hartwell? I know very little on Dinkins, so anyone, please, enlighten.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If anyone thought we were even slightly deep at PG then smoke on. Hartwell has been labeled a shooter. Remember the 150 threes comment by CKE?? Polite apparently is still being studied per yesterday's presser. However, In a previous presser, the comment was " Ronnie Polite is really good". That was before Polite made his return to play but was practicing fully. Regardless we all knew he couldn't shoot. Maybe just in an overall slump?? I thought Polite was gonna be better too. Maybe injury is lingering??

That leaves X as our best option and thus a clear need for a PG and why we got Dinkins.

Actually, I'd like to know this on Dinkins....he is same height as Hartwell right?? All those that bash Hartwell for being a liability on defense how is Dinkins height not a liability on switches? How and what makes him presumably supreme to Hartwell? I know very little on Dinkins, so anyone, please, enlighten.
Jacob Gilyard has been All-American level defensively and is arguably shorter than Hartwell. Short folks can be good defensively even with switches. Game plan needs to be better but Hartwell is just that bad

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Maybe he’s faster.

FreeGunston12

All-American

Dare I say the forbidden word? I think Polite has the *yips*. You can see him visibly tense up/flinch whenever he shoots a jumper.

Maybe it doesn't show up in practice, but it's an issue. Felt real bad for him when Kansas was chanting "airball" at him all game. Ironically he managed to hit a 3 after that.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Dare I say the forbidden word? I think Polite has the *yips*. You can see him visibly tense up/flinch whenever he shoots a jumper.

Maybe it doesn't show up in practice, but it's an issue. Felt real bad for him when Kansas was chanting "airball" at him all game. Ironically he managed to hit a 3 after that.

That's our bench right now:

A backup PG who can't hit a shot. A backup SG who can sometimes shoot, but can't defend at all. A backup 4/5 who won't take a shot. A backup 5 who is athletic, but has no post moves. And a collection of nebulous end of benchers whose status is unclear.

JPgmuswim

Starter
That's our bench right now:

A backup PG who can't hit a shot. A backup SG who can sometimes shoot, but can't defend at all. A backup 4/5 who won't take a shot. A backup 5 who is athletic, but has no post moves. And a collection of nebulous end of benchers whose status is unclear.
I believe this bench will look very different next season. The Portal will probably be hit hard.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jacob Gilyard has been All-American level defensively and is arguably shorter than Hartwell. Short folks can be good defensively even with switches. Game plan needs to be better but Hartwell is just that bad
Spot on. Richmond had one of the best teams in the A-10 with a backcourt of Gilyard (5-10) and Blake Francis (6-0). Basketball is about so much more than being tall.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I do like Ronnie's speed. He has zipped into the paint and made a couple of tight layups. But that was a few games ago. He's missed many disappointers since then. I'm hoping that Ronnie is still seeking his sea-legs. I think (hope) that a lot of his problem is confidence... "Gotta make the shot... Gotta make the shot... Not allowed to miss... Not allowed to miss..." He needs to get out of his own head and play unconsciously. Right now, he's psyching himself out and shooting air. He was an insane scorer in HS. But everything is way faster in D1. I hope the game slows down for him and he begins to make sizeable contributions.

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Dayton goes into Siegal Center and beats vcu by 30! 82-52. That's the team that couldn't score against us.

Granted, Vince Williams was hurt and didn't play, but it was a real beat-down with it being a 20+ difference almost the whole second half.