Game 14 Part 2: GMU (7-6 / 0-0) at Richmond (10-6 / 1-2) on Tuesday, January 11, at 7PM. POSTPONED

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Odds on this one getting played?

Richmond is currently 10 - 6 on the season and 1 - 2 in A10 play. They are 7 - 1 at home, 2 -2 away, and 1 - 3 at neutral sites.

History: Including tournament play GMU is 8-6 against the Spiders as a member of the A10.

Wins: NC Central, Georgia St., Hofstra, Wofford, Northern Iowa, Toledo, NC State, ODU, Bucknell, Mass,
Losses: Utah St., Drake, Maryland, Miss St., St. Joe’s, St. Louis,
Canceled/Postponed: Fordham

Schedule: https://richmondspiders.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://richmondspiders.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://richmondspiders.com/documents/2021/11/12/Combined_Team_Stats.pdf

Richmond is led by 6’7” Tyler Burton (18.2 ppg & 7.6 reb), 6’10” Grant Golden (15.4 ppg & 6.3 reb), and 5’9” Jacob Gilyard (10.5 ppg & 6.5 assists). 6’7” Nathan Cayo (8.0 ppg) has statrted all 16 games for the Spiders. 6’4” Nick Sherod (7.0 ppg) and 6’0” Isaiah Wilson (4.2 ppg) have both served as the fifth starter this year. 6’9” Matt Grace and 6’6” Connor Crabtree both average double minutes off the bench.

Richmond averages 73.8 points per game while giving up 70.8. The Spiders shoot 45.3% from the floor and 34.9% from 3. Opponents are shooting 44.4% from the field and 35.1% from 3. The Spiders shoot 68.6% from the free throw line. The Spiders are currently out being rebounded by their opponents to the tune of 3.6 boards per game.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: A road game against the AARP Spiders should prove to be interesting. I swear it seems like Golden, Gilyard, et all were around when Bill Russell played for the Celtics. Given our long layoff I don’t see us pulling this one out. Great test for Oduro in the post. AARP 75 - GMU 69.

On a personal note I will be out of action for a week or two (I hope) beginning Monday the 10th. Someone else will need to take on the job of posting the GW game thread and any others that may be rescheduled in the meantime. I hope to be back in time for Dayton on the 22nd.

Discuss.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Odds on this one getting played?

Richmond is currently 10 - 6 on the season and 1 - 2 in A10 play. They are 7 - 1 at home, 2 -2 away, and 1 - 3 at neutral sites.

History: Including tournament play GMU is 8-6 against the Spiders as a member of the A10.

Wins: NC Central, Georgia St., Hofstra, Wofford, Northern Iowa, Toledo, NC State, ODU, Bucknell, Mass,
Losses: Utah St., Drake, Maryland, Miss St., St. Joe’s, St. Louis,
Canceled/Postponed: Fordham

Schedule: https://richmondspiders.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://richmondspiders.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://richmondspiders.com/documents/2021/11/12/Combined_Team_Stats.pdf

Richmond is led by 6’7” Tyler Burton (18.2 ppg & 7.6 reb), 6’10” Grant Golden (15.4 ppg & 6.3 reb), and 5’9” Jacob Gilyard (10.5 ppg & 6.5 assists). 6’7” Nathan Cayo (8.0 ppg) has statrted all 16 games for the Spiders. 6’4” Nick Sherod (7.0 ppg) and 6’0” Isaiah Wilson (4.2 ppg) have both served as the fifth starter this year. 6’9” Matt Grace and 6’6” Connor Crabtree both average double minutes off the bench.

Richmond averages 73.8 points per game while giving up 70.8. The Spiders shoot 45.3% from the floor and 34.9% from 3. Opponents are shooting 44.4% from the field and 35.1% from 3. The Spiders shoot 68.6% from the free throw line. The Spiders are currently out being rebounded by their opponents to the tune of 3.6 boards per game.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: A road game against the AARP Spiders should prove to be interesting. I swear it seems like Golden, Gilyard, et all were around when Bill Russell played for the Celtics. Given our long layoff I don’t see us pulling this one out. Great test for Oduro in the post. AARP 75 - GMU 69.

On a personal note I will be out of action for a week or two (I hope) beginning Monday the 10th. Someone else will need to take on the job of posting the GW game thread and any others that may be rescheduled in the meantime. I hope to be back in time for Dayton on the 22nd.

Discuss.
Hope whatever it is doesn't keep you down long and that you will bounce back quickly.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Odds this game gets played are pretty low I think. Given they played a game on Jan. 1.

I’m going to guess the first game will be GW on 1/17.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Their games have been on MASN a lot this year so I've had a chance to watch the Spiders a bunch this year already.

They are a bit Jeckyl and Hide.... start either really slow or fast in the beginning. Seems they are a good 2nd half team. Sherrod is probably the best "6th" man in the league.

It really comes down to how Gilyard and Burton and cast are shooting from 3 and their penetration. They will look to go right at Oduro with Golden and penetrating the lane to see if they can get him in foul trouble.

If we can make our 3's and limit their Guards or hope they are off we have a shot. Schwartz and Cooper have to show up together and play more consistently. XJ, Hartwell, and Polite have to limit turnovers, especially against that little flea Gilyard. Gilyard could go off on these guys defensively... if so it will be a long night.

Winnable game for sure.

Goodguys 69
Ukrop's Management Team 66

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Anyone know if they are allowing in-person fans? i.e. is it normal attendance policies for those who might consider driving down for the game?

PDGL Hoops

Starter
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't play again until November. This break stinks! Tough road game after so much time off - fingers crossed!

Pablo

Hall of Famer

ANALYSIS:
Despite what their win percentage might indicate, George Mason is a good team that can cause more than enough trouble for most opponents. Haslametrics has them ranked 89th overall (out of 358) in All-Play Percentage, and the team holds a record of 7-6. They are also ranked by this site as the #4 team (out of 14) in the A-10 (average ranking 131.3).

George Mason has a reasonably potent offensive attack. Occupying the #94 slot in our offensive efficiency rankings, they will score about 104 points for every 100 trips upcourt vs. AO. George Mason lives and dies by the three-ball and will launch from long-distance early and often. The team ranks 15th in ratio of three-point attempts to total field goal attempts. If you do allow them to shoot from long, they have the ability to punish you for it, too.
Ranked in the top-100 in three-point shooting percentage, they make approximately 35.8% of their three-point attempts vs. AO. If George Mason does have a glaring weakness offensively, it would have to be the team's difficulties obtaining and converting second-chance opportunities from offensive rebounds. The squad has a second-chance conversion percentage of just 2.8% vs. AO, which ranks 19th-worst in the nation.

George Mason plays at roughly the same level defensively as they do offensively. The team ranks 94th nationally in defensive efficiency, allowing about 94 points every 100 trips upcourt vs. AO. George Mason does a really good job to prevent opponents from getting off shots from the field. The club is ranked 42nd in Division I in defensive field goal attempt rate with a rating of 79.10 vs. AO. George Mason has also done a really good job this year to prevent opponents from making shots from the inside. They are ranked 50th in the country in defensive near-proximity percentage, allowing AO to make good on only 53.9% of their attempts from close-up.
Because of this, AO takes nowhere near as many inside shots as they typically would -- just 30.1% of AO's field goal attempts will come from short-distance.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
They will have to play mon Wed sat......all home games at EBA of coarse...it's the only way ;)

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Bummer! However, the immediate upcoming games with GW and Dayton are not going to be canceled, as they have both already had covid-related stoppages.

How it determined which games get made up and which do not? With our talent there is not a team in the league we need to duck, but if I were Lange @St. Joe's, for instance, there are a few teams I imagine they are less excited about re-scheduling. Anyone with some insight into this?

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Bummer! However, the immediate upcoming games with GW and Dayton are not going to be canceled, as they have both already had covid-related stoppages.

How it determined which games get made up and which do not? With our talent there is not a team in the league we need to duck, but if I were Lange @St. Joe's, for instance, there are a few teams I imagine they are less excited about re-scheduling. Anyone with some insight into this?
St. Joe's at Mason next Saturday? Both off. Hawks at Rhody on Wednesday though. I wonder how many covid cases Mason has?