Game 14: GMU (8-5 / 0-0) vs Richmond (7-6 / 0-0) on Saturday, December 31, at 2:00 PM.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Ticket came back from the locker room after halftime with his left hand/wrist in a brace. Looked more like hand than wrist to me - a full wrist immobilization would have been bigger. But hard to tell.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Quoting posts isn't working on my phone...

Ojiako and Oduro might start together like they did for the second half today.

daveshac

Walk-On
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Where we sit in EBA, Dr Pettrone sits right in front of us. As Ticket was walking off the court, the trainer took a quick look at the hand and immediately motioned for the doc to come over. That looked serious, but I'm glad to hear that Ticket was in IG feeling positive later in the night...

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Seems like more reporters are in post game presser. What outlets are they with?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Re JF, how is he supposed to improve defensively if he gets pulled after one offensive error. But Singleton does what we'll?

Jf 4 mins 5 pts
SS 22 mins 5pts

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They said the first 450 fans would get New Years glasses. I didn’t see a single person wearing or have a pair of glasses. Did they not give any out? Only making it a deal bc I hyped up my kids about them only come up short handed.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Re JF, how is he supposed to improve defensively if he gets pulled after one offensive error. But Singleton does what we'll?

Jf 4 mins 5 pts
SS 22 mins 5pts
Singleton is arguably our second best defender and JF couldn’t guard a stationary object at this point.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Singleton is arguably our second best defender and JF couldn’t guard a stationary object at this point.

How does 2nd best defender not start and play alot if mins?

SS has more college level experience but for how JF was advertised, some said he might even start., it's not adding up.

ArtVandalay

Recruit
They said the first 450 fans would get New Years glasses. I didn’t see a single person wearing or have a pair of glasses. Did they not give any out? Only making it a deal bc I hyped up my kids about them only come up short handed.
We went today too and said the same thing. Luckily didn't tell our kids but my wife and I were pretty confused.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Jf 4 mins 5 pts
SS 22 mins 5pts
Saquan had 4 steals and 2 assists. Also slashes into the paint very nicely and makes plays. Makes awful decisions sometimes and his FT shooting is a nightmare but he's clearly a net positive and we're usually A) better defensively and B) harder to guard when he's on the floor.

JF is close but his awareness on defense is basically a zero right now so his minutes are disappointing but completely understandable.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Really fun game today. Hope
Tickets injury isn’t serious. I think we’ll go two big with Ginika like @MasonFanatic said, it’s how we started the second half and he is clearly our best player coming off the bench. I don’t hate it but it’s not a long term solution to run him and Oduro together. Who knows maybe it’ll open things up for Oduro offensively, and keep him out of trouble on D not having to be the anchor. Felt like we finally got the Ronnie we were promised. I’m not super worried about Fernandez, offensively he seems to be like everything we were sold on, he’s there. Defensively he needs some work. He’s a freshman though so I’m not super worried yet. He’ll get some more run through the ticket injury and throughout the season. I think he’ll be getting solid bench minutes by the end of the season.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Really fun game today. Hope
Tickets injury isn’t serious. I think we’ll go two big with Ginika like @MasonFanatic said, it’s how we started the second half and he is clearly our best player coming off the bench. I don’t hate it but it’s not a long term solution to run him and Oduro together. Who knows maybe it’ll open things up for Oduro offensively, and keep him out of trouble on D not having to be the anchor. Felt like we finally got the Ronnie we were promised. I’m not super worried about Fernandez, offensively he seems to be like everything we were sold on, he’s there. Defensively he needs some work. He’s a freshman though so I’m not super worried yet. He’ll get some more run through the ticket injury and throughout the season. I think he’ll be getting solid bench minutes by the end of the season.
Agreed with everything here. I’m not going to worry too much about Justyn either and his offense is pretty polished for a true frosh.

Seems like on the offense side letting Josh be more of a “4” and letting him create off the dribble worked a bit today for early in the second half. He still had a post up and did that weird fadeaway but also had a good dribble drive which was great and maybe one other play.

My worry on the defensive side of the ball however in that role as he needs to defend more traditional bigs. That said defensively they all really buckled down late in the game and Josh helped cut off anything near the rim few times as well.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How does 2nd best defender not start and play alot if mins?

SS has more college level experience but for how JF was advertised, some said he might even start., it's not adding up.
I agree with you. And I still think JF will be great. Problem is he has shown 0, zilch, nada defensively to the point CKE said he only plays on one side of the ball. With ticket being hurt you would think his minutes will triple but idk

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree with you. And I still think JF will be great. Problem is he has shown 0, zilch, nada defensively to the point CKE said he only plays on one side of the ball. With ticket being hurt you would think his minutes will triple but idk
I think the minutes will be there for Fernandez to take all season, it’s up to him if he wants to play the level of defense he needs to take them though. Lot of opportunity for him but it’s up to him — English seems like he’s been very clear with him if he can’t play good defense he’s not going to see the court. Fernandez seems like a competitor I’m sure it’ll click and he’ll step up here soon.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think the minutes will be there for Fernandez to take all season, it’s up to him if he wants to play the level of defense he needs to take them though. Lot of opportunity for him but it’s up to him — English seems like he’s been very clear with him if he can’t play good defense he’s not going to see the court. Fernandez seems like a competitor I’m sure it’ll click and he’ll step up here soon.
Fernandez is an athletic freak. But unlike the uber-athletic Henry, who is a bit herky-jerky, JF has smoother control. I look for JF to begin to bloom by season's end or the start of next season. The game right now looks overwhelming to him. A bit of confidence and little less awe is the prescription to be filled with the passage of time and practice. If he works hard and keeps his head then all will be fine for him at Mason.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Fernandez is an athletic freak. But unlike the uber-athletic Henry, who is a bit herky-jerky, JF has smoother control. I look for JF to begin to bloom by season's end or the start of next season. The game right now looks overwhelming to him. A bit of confidence and little less awe is the prescription to be filled with the passage of time and practice. If he works hard and keeps his head then all will be fine for him at Mason.
It's maddening that someone with Justyn's ability can't defend but it can happen. I've seen it with my own eyes. When I played HS hoops we had a center who bit on EVERY pump fake. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. As much as we and the coaching staff counseled him, he couldn't adjust. Would routinely foul out.

On offense he - ironically - never learned to pump fake his defender. Predictably, he would just go straight up and would often get his shit swatted. "Pump fake!" we would implore but he couldn't do it. Weird.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not saying JF should start or play 35 min per game. I think since he has way more potential, give him more time to learn from defensive mistakes rather thank yank him for a bad pass like yesterday. 10 min a game for 2 months, will pay more dividends in March.