Game 1 GMU (0-0) vs Queens College (0-0). Thursday, Nov. 26 at 2PM.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Glad the guys get a game even if it’s (another) warmup game.

they are a good program and beat vcu a few years ago.

Hopefully it’s a warmup and mason takes care of business

mason 85
Queens 68

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ok guys so hear me out. Queens College is usually a top 10 D2 school and was number 1 last year. They return their 2nd, 3rd and 4th best players. They will be a tougher matchup than Morgan St. this is not a gimme especially for a Paulsen coached team. They beat vcu a couple years ago per @MasonFanatic

we absolutely need to win and should by at least 15-25 though

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I honestly have no idea what to expect in this game, especially since I am still having nightmares from the Randolph Macon exhibition game under Coach L. I would like to believe we should be able to handle any DII team, but I'm just as conflicted as these picks by '81 and sleeperpick:

"NEVER heard of them. If we don't win by 30+ we suck."
"This is not a gimme. We absolutely need to win by at least 15-25."

I would be happy this early in the season with an 8-10 point win. Anybody know if we can watch this online?

Last edited:

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I honestly have no idea what to expect in this game, especially since I am still having nightmares from the Randolph Macon exhibition game under Coach L. I would like to believe we should be able to handle any DII team, but I'm just as conflicted as these picks by '81 and sleeperpick:

I would be happy this early in the season with a by 8-10 point. Anybody know if we can watch this online?

The Queen's College basketball site has a link to ESPN3, so it looks that way.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Note: The official name of the school is the Queens University of Charlotte

https://gomason.com/news/2020/11/25...ens-2020-21-slate-vs-div-ii-power-queens.aspx:

"A LOOK AT THE #10/12 ROYALS (24-7, 14-4 SOUTH ATLANTIC IN 2019-20)
The Royals were picked to finish second in the 2020-21 South Atlantic preseason poll. The team is ranked No. 10 nationally in the Div. II D2SIDA and NABC Coaches Poll and No. 12 in the Basketball Times poll. One of the top Div. II programs in the nation, the Royals have won 142 games over the last five seasons and have captured at least 30 victories in three of the last four years. Queens returns three of five starters which posted a 24-7 mark, including a 14-4 record in South Atlantic Conference play. The Royals earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Southeast Region Championships. Queens is led by Jamari Smith, who ranked second on the team last season with 13.5 points while chipping in 6.8 rebounds per contest. Kenny Dye added 10.3 points per game and shot 36.3 percent from 3-point range."

https://queensathletics.com/news/2020/11/25/mens-basketball-to-compete-in-2020-paradise-jam.aspx:

"Being a late addition, Queens needed to quickly test all of its players for COVID-19 within 72 hours of arrival per tournament protocol. Due to existing relationships and proximity, the Charlotte Hornets jumped in to assist Queens with rapid PCR testing, getting results in less than two hours.

With assistance from the Charlotte Hornets and Novant Health as well as UNC-Charlotte, Queens University was able to administer a PCR COVID-19 test to each member of the travel party per tournament protocol within 72-hours of their departure.

'We would like to thank the Hornets and the UNC-Charlotte coaching staff for their help to find a testing solution, along with the Novant Health professionals,' said Coach Lundy. 'I'd like to thank our Director of Athletics, University President, Conference Commissioner and the South Atlantic Conference Presidents Council for approving this exemption to our scheduling.'"

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I would be happy this early in the season with an 8-10 point win. Anybody know if we can watch this online?

lol, I still joke about that and fairfield and..well others.

needless to say, they lost the RMC game and somehow they still won 20 games and made the NIT. If they lose tomorrow and make the NIT (or NCAA since who knows if there’s an NIT), sign me up!

D2 basketball is better than people realize....but, no seniors on their roster, no bulk inside...really should get the single or low double digit win. AJ needs to dominate in this game--if I was them I'd trap down low and take their chances with us on the perimeter.

PS I'm sorry Tom is still having nightmares

JPgmuswim

Starter
Game Day! We finally made it. Maybe it’s a good thing we are starting with Queens today just to shake off the cobwebs. Looking forward to a dominating victory.

Happy Thanksgiving

FreeGunston12

All-American
D2 basketball is better than people realize....but, no seniors on their roster, no bulk inside...really should get the single or low double digit win. AJ needs to dominate in this game--if I was them I'd trap down low and take their chances with us on the perimeter.

PS I'm sorry Tom is still having nightmares
Agreed. I know Petey said a key to the team's success this year would be AJ and Oduro hitting some outside shots. I want to see none of it this game. I still believe in playing inside out, and there is no reason that we shouldn't be doing that in this game. AJ should demand double teams in the post at this point in his career against almost every team we play. If this one is close, it'll be because our guards miss a ton of open shots and can't space the floor. AJ's assist numbers will be the key to a blowout win today.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Game moved to 8pm:
https://twitter.com/paradisejam/status/1332024317824147460

I'm confused though. if the results are in, even though they are later than expected, doesnt that mean that the teams are cleared to play? What am I missing?

Or is it the delay in the results meant the teams couldnt get into the venue at the normal time, thus not having enough time to warm up?

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The ESPN app is showing the game as 5, but maybe that is PT.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Game moved to 8pm:
https://twitter.com/paradisejam/status/1332024317824147460

I'm confused though. if the results are in, even though they are later than expected, doesnt that mean that the teams are cleared to play? What am I missing?

Or is it the delay in the results meant the teams couldnt get into the venue at the normal time, thus not having enough time to warm up?
Great, timed my meal and my drunk for 2PM. It's going to take a Herculean effort to make it to 8PM. Sigh. Covid blows.