Game 1: GMU (0-0) at #15 Auburn (0-0) on Monday, November 7, at 8:00 PM.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So many offensive rebounds. Like many others, I am wildly perplexed at the face up box out attempts that resulted in many, many missed defensive rebounds.
Face up is fine if the other team has one guy you need to keep off the glass at all costs and you're willing to sacrifice one guy on your side's ability to grab the board because you assume someone else will grab it. It's pure dogshit when every other guy on your team is doing it as well and the entire other team is way bigger than you. Having all five guys not know where the ball is isn't exactly a recipe for winning the rebounding battle.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Start worrying…

How is this different from the last five or seasons…

Well I guess we'll have you to cry during the contests, so that'll be different. Solid start BTW.

1. Game 1: GMU (0-0) at #15 Auburn (0-0) on Monday, November 7, at 8:00 PM.

Start worrying… How is this different from the last five or seasons…

Really looking forward to your Posting Many Smarts thinkings this season. That'll be great!

Oh wait, no I'm not. Ignore button! Later 'tater.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This is the last comment I’m gonna make about last night, but I think the thing that bothers me the most is we didn’t look like a well-coached veteran team that had weeks (months?) to prepare.

Getting bludgeoned by a physically superior opponent is one thing. That happens even to the best teams on our level sometimes. Playing timidly, looking disorganized and repeatedly failing to do something as basic as boxing out should not happen when you start 2 seniors and 3 grad students. Just inexcusable.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is the last comment I’m gonna make about last night, but I think the thing that bothers me the most is we didn’t look like a well-coached veteran team that had weeks (months?) to prepare.

Getting bludgeoned by a physically superior opponent is one thing. That happens even to the best teams on our level sometimes. Playing timidly, looking disorganized and repeatedly failing to do something as basic as boxing out should not happen when you start 2 seniors and 3 grad students. Just inexcusable.

To this I will say PG play, PG play, PG play! Tge difference between a team that looks well coached and a team that looks completely overwhelmed against a defense like Auburn is a good point guard. In other words, the biggest question mark of the season has become the biggest worry.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Really jealous of their atmosphere. They are a chippy bunch that love to talk, but when you have a full house filled with students that feed off of it, it adds a huge advantage. Unfortunately if our guys tried to play with this much emotion at home, it would look silly with only about 50 fans reacting. What a huge advantage it must be to have a full student section right on top of the court like they do.

Auburn has huge entitled frat boy energy. It's a really solid school, but it's packed full of rich white Southern private school d-bag in OluKai sandals, Over Under tees, and Costa sunglasses.

That said, it does have a great vide (was up last time we played) and it's not huge so they pack it in because there's not a lot to do in The Plains.

NewPatriot

Starter
To this I will say PG play, PG play, PG play! Tge difference between a team that looks well coached and a team that looks completely overwhelmed against a defense like Auburn is a good point guard. In other words, the biggest question mark of the season has become the biggest worry.
Auburn bigboy'd Mason on the offensive glass and around the rim yet Mason still had their chances because the Tigers shooting is atrocious.

The fact that oduro got foul trouble early didn't help.

Still alot of good things came out this loss. The patriots have a decent backup center. Tbe Team didn't fold, they played with competitive energy until til the final buzzer

The Patriots aren't going to play another team that physical the rest of the season

The team will bounce back with the understanding of what needs to be done in order to win the A10.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
One of the few positives is that VJ was able to consistently get free for open shots against a really good defensive team. He missed a bunch of wide-open shots that I’m sure he’ll make — first game in a new role with a new team, I’m sure he was amped and pressing — but my bigger hope is he finds opportunities to create for others as well.

Unlike last year, I do think he gives us somebody with the quickness to just give him the ball and let him break down the defense. That’s not nothing if he’s used correctly going forward.

He's always been streaky. Have to accept that and hope he's on that night, but evens out over time.

His best 3 Pt season was 2018-19 at Oregon. During that time he had a 7 game stretch shooting 16-30 (53%) from the arc. In the 6 games leading up to that, he went 3-16 from the arc and 2-9 in the 7 games to close out the season.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Auburn bigboy'd Mason on the offensive glass and around the rim yet Mason still had their chances because the Tigers shooting is atrocious.

The fact that oduro got foul trouble early didn't help.

Still alot of good things came out this loss. The patriots have a decent backup center. Tbe Team didn't fold, they played with competitive energy until til the final buzzer

The Patriots aren't going to play another team that physical the rest of the season

The team will bounce back with the understanding of what needs to be done in order to win the A10.

All fair. Not many programs have the ability to throw a 6'10" Broome, 6'11" Cardwell, 6'10" Traore, and 6'8" Williams at you one after the other. Their fast-paced and very physical style racks up the fouls on both sides, but they've got the depth to absorb that and not miss a beat or have to change style of play.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Auburn has huge entitled frat boy energy. It's a really solid school, but it's packed full of rich white Southern private school d-bag in OluKai sandals, Over Under tees, and Costa sunglasses.

That said, it does have a great vide (was up last time we played) and it's not huge so they pack it in because there's not a lot to do in The Plains.

Hey now, I wear OluKai sandals. Best in da islands.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m gonna break it down very simple for you because I don’t think you’re getting it. Maybe you won’t but regardless.

1) my comment to you was sarcasm. You are commenting about CKE not doing anything 1 game into year 2. Last night sucked but you reacted like it was year 4 or something. Saying all he does better is talk, is tone deaf at this juncture.

2) we all have big expectations, myself included. But I’m not going to panic over last night. If that was Richmond Dayton or vcu, yes. But last night, no.

3) you’re missing the point with the dislikes. Don’t take them as compliments.
Believe it or not, I understood all of it...including your sarcasm. And I do know that the dislikes are not compliments. My responses were made to get a rise out of you, which I obviously did. (Probably breaking one of the rules.) But, it was worth breaking a rule to defend myself over what I consider to be an overreaction to my comment on your part. I repeat, we are exactly where we were (ON THE COURT) as we were when KE got here. I am hoping and expecting improvement, but so far what I said was exactly correct. No apologies for telling the truth.
One more thing...There have been numerous fingers pointed at the coaching on here besides me.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Believe it or not, I understood all of it...including your sarcasm. And I do know that the dislikes are not compliments. My responses were made to get a rise out of you, which I obviously did. (Probably breaking one of the rules.) But, it was worth breaking a rule to defend myself over what I consider to be an overreaction to my comment on your part. I repeat, we are exactly where we were (ON THE COURT) as we were when KE got here. I am hoping and expecting improvement, but so far what I said was exactly correct. No apologies for telling the truth.
One more thing...There have been numerous fingers pointed at the coaching on here besides me.
All good dude. As long as we are on the same page.

Moving on.

FreeGunston12

All-American

Yup. To me, Auburn didn't really look like a great team either. We just played with no confidence, no heart, and no dignity. Auburn (rightfully so) disrespected us as an opponent from start to finish, and it didn't seem to fire any of our guys up one bit.

I won't complain about pg play. We all knew that would be a weakness. What is discouraging to me is Josh's continued struggles against physical opponents. You have to wonder what feedback he got from going through the draft process and what he has been working on since. Haven't heard much about that this off-season actually. We need him to bounce back and find that chip on his shoulder. Not trying to make too much of one game. But if he has regressed, we are in for a long, long season.

My other big concern moving forward is Ticket at the 4 without Schwartz out there this year. There was a lot of talk about the size and athleticism we've added, but our main lineup actually got smaller and it showed last night.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
To everyone saying we won’t face big physical teams that apply pressure this season, vcu, Dayton and SLU would like a word. After watching auburn play last night I’d be surprised if they are in the top 25 come Feb, they are not very good, we just played terribly.

I am reinforced in my original thought that the PG situation will be my dead horse to beat into the afterlife and beyond this season. We will lose games because of it and win games despite it.

Hopefully there is a big wake up call during practice this week, because I didn’t really see it during the game last night.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So 7 mins in to the game and I notice:

1. Singleton coughs the ball up as our main PG. Doesn't look like a PG at all.
2. Ojiako shoots jumpers for his free throws!??! Ummm... what :oops:o_O
3. Cooper has to knock down wide open 3's. Cmon man.