News Tracking Official Adidas / Other Gear

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
And they should be encouraged to be as loud and inhospitable as possible to the opposing team. Impolite, even.

Opponents should literally dread having to come play at EBA and the students, if allowed, can play a huge part in that.
I kept telling Brad that we should nickname EBA “the Eagles Nest” but he kept saying that “we can’t name our arena after Hitler’s vacation home” and “please stop calling me at home”. PC libtard culture run amok if you ask me.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Yes, our logo stinks. Only marginally better than the synchronized swimming ribbons of the '90s.
An angry Patriot maybe? I know I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but one logo could be the M with the green and gold quill at the top. Classic look, imo.
I agree 100%. The M with the quill looks good. We need to emphasize the quill more.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
When I was in Dayton for the 2006 NCAAT and was walking the concourse after we upset Michigan State, I had fans from other schools saying, "Congrats! WTF is your mascot supposed to be?"
The same thing happened to me at the Verizon Center. We were sitting next to some UConn fans and they were wondering what the green thing running around the court was supposed to represent. It was embarrassing

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The same thing happened to me at the Verizon Center. We were sitting next to some UConn fans and they were wondering what the green thing running around the court was supposed to represent. It was embarrassing
FWIW, Gunston's team beat MSU and UConn. He who laughs last....

patriotchild

Starter
If a 3yo is scared of Gunston...I think that kid might have bigger issues.

Bring back the noise can :ROFLMAO:
Second the noise can. That was classic.

Also have you all seen the dang Stanford tree? It’s ugly as heck if you want to talk about embarrassing and having nothing to do with the school. And what about the Phillies fanatic? We could go on... I get it wasn’t the best looking and may have been slightly scary to kids, but what mascot isn’t? my kids don’t really like the patriot and won’t go near it. should we change it?

For me the whole mascot situation is another example of how we mishandled the FF. Gunston was unique to mason and actually had a name that was meaningful. Gunston became our oddball mascot and was a conversation starter. I was all in on embracing it as part of our programs and the schools upstart identity. Instead, we cut off that recognition and replaced it with a run of the mill mascot with no real identity or shtick.

We could have modernized Gunston to have a slightly more “the patriot” look and we should have kept the name. it would have capitalized on the FF and continued one of the very few mason traditions that existed. (fwiw the creature they replaced it with for non sports is even creepier IMO)

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
IMO, this is one of those no win situations for the athletic department. When we had Gunston, EVERYBODY complained about it. EVERYBODY. Somehow, over the years there is this revisionist history that he was loved. He was not. Most complained and said we wanted a mascot more like Sparty at Michigan State. So, the athletic department made the switch.

Again, IMO the problem is not the mascot.

1) The naming him The Patriot was a massive botch. The main thing with the mascot is giving it a personality, and “The Patriot” does the opposite. Major failure.

2) The person inside the costume makes the mascot. The Phillie Phanatic and Gritty are great because of the skits/bits they do. They are actually funny. It’s not about what the costume looks like. I’m sure it’s a difficult job, but doing an occasional running man and stomping your foot during free throws isn’t going to make you lovable. Edgy shots at opponents, hunting costume when we are playing St Joes for the Hawk, giant fly swatter or RAID can against Richmond, wipe your butt with a Curry jersey against Davidson, wear a stupid Ram horn hat and a 5X stuffed shirt that says “I WANT ATTENTION “ when playing vcu... maybe too much, but you get the idea.

JPgmuswim

Starter
True story, during winter break in 03’ I was Gunston for a game. One of my teammates who was doing an internship with the athletic department called me around 5 and asked if I could do him a favor. Both the normal “Gunstons” were out of town back home and they didn’t have anyone to be the Gunston. I figured why not it would make for a fun story.

I don’t envy anyone doing that job, the worst part other than not being able to see anything is when you inevitably sweat because it’s f’ing hot you can’t wipe it off your face, I had sweat just dripping in my eyes for 2 hours. Gunston definitely was not a show stopper that night but he was in attendance to root on the team.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
True story, during winter break in 03’ I was Gunston for a game. One of my teammates who was doing an internship with the athletic department called me around 5 and asked if I could do him a favor. Both the normal “Gunstons” were out of town back home and they didn’t have anyone to be the Gunston. I figured why not it would make for a fun story.

I don’t envy anyone doing that job, the worst part other than not being able to see anything is when you inevitably sweat because it’s f’ing hot you can’t wipe it off your face, I had sweat just dripping in my eyes for 2 hours. Gunston definitely was not a show stopper that night but he was in attendance to root on the team.

yeah it’s a very tough job. Cool story though!

I actually was the Seagull for my elementary school in 6th grade and I’m pretty sure I walked around for 5 minutes before I had to drink a gallon of water to not pass out.

Maybe since Jay Marsh retired, we will see some new ideas such as creating a little bit more of a shtick for the mascot or how the team runs on the court. Coming out to zombie nation for 20 years has run its course. I think he didn’t let things change very much over the years.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
IMO, this is one of those no win situations for the athletic department. When we had Gunston, EVERYBODY complained about it. EVERYBODY. Somehow, over the years there is this revisionist history that he was loved. He was not. Most complained and said we wanted a mascot more like Sparty at Michigan State. So, the athletic department made the switch.

Truth!

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Again, IMO the problem is not the mascot.

1) The naming him The Patriot was a massive botch. The main thing with the mascot is giving it a personality, and “The Patriot” does the opposite. Major failure.

2) The person inside the costume makes the mascot. The Phillie Phanatic and Gritty are great because of the skits/bits they do. They are actually funny. It’s not about what the costume looks like. I’m sure it’s a difficult job, but doing an occasional running man and stomping your foot during free throws isn’t going to make you lovable. Edgy shots at opponents, hunting costume when we are playing St Joes for the Hawk, giant fly swatter or RAID can against Richmond, wipe your butt with a Curry jersey against Davidson, wear a stupid Ram horn hat and a 5X stuffed shirt that says “I WANT ATTENTION “ when playing vcu... maybe too much, but you get the idea.
Well, not everybody. Though I see I am in the minority. Of course, as Mark Twain said, "it is doubtful that the majority has ever been right."