News Tracking Official Adidas / Other Gear

Bricker

Starter
Will we be using Adidas basketballs as well?
Yes. This model:

EB-ADW43119-2.jpg

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Ouch! I've never been a fan of adidas but that was hard to read.

They should hire you, Gunnie.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I really want to know the numbers. How much (or little) is adidas paying us? What did UA and Nike offer?

Looks like we might have ugly unis this year, but then again I'd rather have ugly unis and box out, pass the ball well, smart shots, rotate on defense, etc. than have beautiful uniforms with no fundamental play.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I really want to know the numbers. How much (or little) is adidas paying us? What did UA and Nike offer?

Would be pretty easy to find out if someone requested the info under the freedom of information act. I'm kind of shocked that nobody has done this to find out Paulsen's contract. I can't do it, because I don't live in the state, but anyone can that lives in VA.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe I'm just trying to look on the bright side, and God knows adidas has produced some awful uniforms, but I think this deal could work out well for us.

The reality is, when you go with a company that is on the bottom, they should have plenty of motivation to innovate and invest in trying to climb past the competition.

Other than the "Elite" gear, we were little more than a pimple on Nike's a**.

Maybe that changes with adidas.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Maybe I'm just trying to look on the bright side, and God knows adidas has produced some awful uniforms, but I think this deal could work out well for us.

The reality is, when you go with a company that is on the bottom, they should have plenty of motivation to innovate and invest in trying to climb past the competition.

Other than the "Elite" gear, we were little more than a pimple on Nike's a**.

Maybe that changes with adidas.

Here is the pessimist in me: If they can't make Louisville, Kansas, or UCLA look good what motivation will they have for us?

Optimist says: Who cares if we have ugly jerseys?

Pessimist says: Recruits care about that stuff. Right or wrong a 15-17 year old does.

Optimist says: We don't want recruits that choose anything other than our university.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Would be pretty easy to find out if someone requested the info under the freedom of information act. I'm kind of shocked that nobody has done this to find out Paulsen's contract. I can't do it, because I don't live in the state, but anyone can that lives in VA.

Do you know how? I don't know the first thing about how to get that, other than just googling it.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Here is the pessimist in me: If they can't make Louisville, Kansas, or UCLA look good what motivation will they have for us?

I'm hopeful that whoever came up with the fugly Zubas and the cummerbund uniforms has been fired and replaced with somebody who has a modicum of taste.

Plus, when you are losing customers to your competitors, you have all the incentive in the world to take good care of the ones you still have. That or risk falling into utter irrelevance.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
With all the criticism adidas has received for their designs, I am going to predict that the 2015-16 unis will be conservative. I am basing that mostly on Indiana's and Wisconsin's new unis which were the only ones that popped up when I googled new adidas unis.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
"Nike gave UT a $2 million signing bonus, which the Vols received last summer. But even with that factored in, the $1.2 million per year Nike pays throughout the life of the contract is $750,000 per year less than UT’s deal with adidas."

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/football/experts-mixed-on-uts-branding-changes_00709098

UT wanted Nike unis so bad they gave up $750k per year. WTF? Have we made a mistake? Has Gunnie been right all along?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We signed with a loser. No other way around it. I also doubt that Edwards cared much about it, just the $$. UT wanted to partner with the best, and did bc as article states the sec network paid the conf 10 mill more making apparrel money less important.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I don't have a feel for this at all. I would have taken the money too if I were BE.

I think UT's decision was stupid. Unless . . . they have a lot of recruits telling them that they didn't sign with UT because they were not a Nike school.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Maybe the recruits DP is after don't care about the shoes they wear.

I have to admit I have a pair of adidas shoes. But I am a rebel. :cool:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
With revenue from its share of the massive SEC football pie, Tennessee had the luxury of leaving $750K on the table to go with Nike.

Not sure what that has to do with Mason, though. We are not in a position to be super choosy -- if Edwards thought it was a dramatically better deal, he had to take it.

It's not a beauty contest, and quite frankly I don't know what was so great about our uniforms the last couple years anyhow. adidas might shock everyone and give us something better.