News Tracking Official Adidas / Other Gear

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
The names on jersey thing is something I pay little attention to. When is the last time Mason had names on the back of jerseys?

I think Paulsen will get this team playing much improved ball regardless.

Correct me if I'm wrong Gunnie or Bricker, but I believe it was during Luke's frosh year in 2009-2010.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Correct me if I'm wrong Gunnie or Bricker, but I believe it was during Luke's frosh year in 2009-2010.

Pretty sure they took the names off the jerseys following the Fairfield debacle that ended our 2009-10 season in the CBI -- it was the genesis of the whole "play for the name on the front of the jersey" attitude.

It worked so well in 2010-11 -- nation's longest winning streak, CAA regular-season champs, at-large bid, one NCAA win -- that Pearson and Morrison stuck with it even after Larranaga left.

Obviously, the powers of superstition were no match for the virus with which Hewitt infected our entire program.

Now that he's gone, I'd vote for putting the names back on.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Pretty sure they took the names off the jerseys following the Fairfield debacle that ended our 2009-10 season in the CBI -- it was the genesis of the whole "play for the name on the front of the jersey" attitude.

It worked so well in 2010-11 -- nation's longest winning streak, CAA regular-season champs, at-large bid, one NCAA win -- that Pearson and Morrison stuck with it even after Larranaga left.

Obviously, the powers of superstition were no match for the virus with which Hewitt infected our entire program.

Now that he's gone, I'd vote for putting the names back on.

Going by superstition, I vote going for the exact opposite of all we did with Hewitt. I say put names on the jersey, put "Mason" rather than "George Mason" on the jerseys, I don't care!

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I'd also like the names on the back of the jerseys. The way this off season has been going, it's the only way we'll be able to tell whose actually on the court.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Like any of us know the details of the contract, but...

Many contracts like this state that if a player can't wear the shoe of the sponsor they can wear another brand, so long as all logos are covered up. Can our players do this? I don't know of a single player under 25 that says adidas basketball shoes are better than Nike basketball shoes.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
That doesn't make any sense to me. So a player isn't going to wear adidas because Nike spends a lot of money to convince dumb kids that their shoes are better? Wear the damn shoes your school has a contract with.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

Many contracts like this state that if a player can't wear the shoe of the sponsor they can wear another brand, so long as all logos are covered up. Can our players do this? I don't know of a single player under 25 that says adidas basketball shoes are better than Nike basketball shoes.

Goodness gracious are you whiny about this.

The expert and knowledgable opinions of the 15 y/o's you've polled on the long term performance and durability of comparable Adidas and Nike shoes under similar circumstances aside, they're shoes. Not microchips, satellites, or cruise missiles. Shoes. I think they'll be fine.

I expect the 9 y/o's in underdeveloped nations that Adidas hires to make their shoes are just as good at turning out footwear as the 9 y/o's in underdeveloped nations that Nike hires.

gmu05

Starter

Just stop.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
My interest in this is twofold: First, how it effects us on the court. And next, how it effects recruiting.:)

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My interest in this is twofold: First, how it effects us on the court. And next, how it effects recruiting.:)

I can't wear Nike shoes because they are too narrow and hurt my feet, but considering some of the others schools who wear Adidas, I don't think you have to worry about it negatively affecting our recruitment.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I can't wear Nike shoes because they are too narrow and hurt my feet, but considering some of the others schools who wear Adidas, I don't think you have to worry about it negatively affecting our recruitment.

Hopefully I'm just being too much of a type-A person and it's much ado about nothing. I would take 1/100th of the tradition and success of UCLA, Indiana, Louisville, and Kansas.

Patriotfan49

Starter

Some of the better younger nba players rock Adidas: Rose, Lillard, Wall, Smart, Wiggins, Conley, Teague and a bunch of other high profile guys. That and they have some sweet designs and color ways already in college....they will be just fine with under 25 crowd and recruiting etc.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Will we ever fill the JC like that again? Ahhh the memories.