All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I dont know if this idea is legal or not

Meet and greet with a player
Dinner at a local restauarant
each attendee gets a signed tshirt by the athlete
50 people max
charge $50-$75 per person - after costs balance goes to player
There are plenty of GMU Alumni who own restaurants and bars around the region that could easily make this happen - a win-win for all parties. One who often posts here could absolutely support this as he owns a few familiar places you may heard of.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanHoops
·
1h

Oscar Tshiebwe will likely earn in the neighborhood of $2 million this season through NIL, source told
@Stadium
Quote Tweet

t_ecleFm_normal.jpg

Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanHoops
· 1h

Kentucky’s Oscar Tshwiebwe is coming back to Lexington for another season. The Power of NIL. … especially at Kentucky.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think its great that athletes can make this money.
I'm curious if the brands paying these players are seeing a return on their investment, ie did Kathy McKay sell more cars or meet whatever goal she had because she signed Josh?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm curious if the brands paying these players are seeing a return on their investment, ie did Kathy McKay sell more cars or meet whatever goal she had because she signed Josh?

Do they care about roi?? It's a write off and if it's me, I wanna see Mason get the wins and build a monster program.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

i'm curious if she cut the donation to the University and/or basketball program while keeping her total donation amount the same?

THIS IS WHAT many programs fear about NIL - in a zero sum game they lose

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
i'm curious if she cut the donation to the University and/or basketball program while keeping her total donation amount the same?

THIS IS WHAT many programs fear about NIL - in a zero sum game they lose
I know what you meant (I think), but to clarify, in your scenario it is the school/AD itself that gets less money but the kids that are earning the bulk of this money for the school are getting paid some (or even a lot of) it. The program (including the students in that definition) would remain the same.

I think there will be some of that, but I also believe it will attract additional money overall in some upward to most cases.

Whether I am right or not, I think it is a good thing.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know what you meant (I think), but to clarify, in your scenario it is the school/AD itself that gets less money but the kids that are earning the bulk of this money for the school are getting paid some (or even a lot of) it. The program (including the students in that definition) would remain the same.

I think there will be some of that, but I also believe it will attract additional money overall in some upward to most cases.

Whether I am right or not, I think it is a good thing.
suppose prior to NIL donor gave x to the university/basketball program
now with NIL the donor gives y to NIL and x-y to the university/basketball program

in both cases the donor gives x (and i wont get into which amounts are tax or business deductible)
but the university/basketball program recieves a lesser amount in the second scenario

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Apparently colleges are start to withhold the amount of the NIL agreements since it is creating some resentment among those not getting paid the big dollars. Also, some athletes are using the published NIL amounts to negotiate a better deal.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

supposedly he is getting $2M in NIL money and that made the decision to stay easier
if true, how do players #2 thru #13 feel and react to that

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

supposedly he is getting $2M in NIL money and that made the decision to stay easier
Probably the same way guys 2-13 feel in NBA teams who don’t have super max deals. Anyone getting butt hurt over this is a bad teammate.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Jay Wright "retiring" reportedly bc of portal and NIL upheaval. College bball is gonna implode. Can't say they weren't asking for it. Money ruins everything.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Guess those players aren't passing him the ball. Or they will give him the ball in his most unlikely to score spots and then not be options for him so he turns it over. And then the parents will get into a fight in the stands. Shit show. But we asked for it.