NIL Thread

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Wow! I wonder how long that will last.
This concept is becoming more popular. From what I’ve learned, Creighton has an arrangement where each of their mens basketball players get $50,000, and then they are free to go out and earn whatever they can outside of that.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
This concept is becoming more popular. From what I’ve learned, Creighton has an arrangement where each of their mens basketball players get $50,000, and then they are free to go out and earn whatever they can outside of that.

Big deal, we've got someone who can easily cover that here on this message board. He is one of the top lawyers in northern Virginia. He makes more In a year then you probably make In a life time.

Clowns on this message board.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'll take this opportunity to encourage you all to join the Patriot Nation Collective. This is the type of thing that will benefit our players (most important), keep our team competitive with our peers and will also get you invited to some cool events. It is a literal Win/Win opportunity.

There are two levels of membership for this year, Green and Gold. Green requires a minimum donation of $300 and Gold requires a minimum donation of $2,500.

Here is a sample of our upcoming events to get a feel for the program:
  • Meet the Oduro Brothers (August 29th): Join Josh and Peter Oduro for our 1st virtual Mason Player’s Club event. Hear about their journey to Mason, their preparation for the upcoming season, and even learn some of Peter’s favorite recipes! (Video link will be provided to all members prior to the event). We will be featuring a different player(s) each month for a virtual hangout. Open to all Mason Player Club members at every level.
  • Evening Monuments Cruise with the Players (September 14th): Join the entire men’s basketball team for an evening cruise around the monuments on the Potomac River. Dinner and non-alcoholic drinks will be provided. The cruise will be leaving from the Wharf at 7:30 p.m. so plan to arrive 10-15 minutes early. More details coming. This event is only for Gold ($2,500 members).
  • Season Tip-Off Celebration and Autograph Session (October 13th ): Join the entire men’s basketball team at Jim McKay Chevrolet to celebrate the start of the new season. Food and drinks will be provided. We will be unveiling a special gift from the team for all members and the players will be stationed to personally sign autographs. This event is open to ALL members – Gold and Green.

We are looking to add new members at both levels.

Please consider joining if your finances will allow it.
http://patriotnationcollective.com/join

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Yossarian

Sixth Man
I’ve moved from being skeptical of the NIL concept to disliking it, for similar reasons that I dislike the hoopla and fuss during player introductions at the beginning of games. Both pander to 20-year-old male egos and discourage values like humility and teamwork. Players look foolish when they roll onto the court thumping their chests and high-fiving teammates at the beginning of the game, only to lose the match by 20 points. I guess I’m trying to compare two very different things, but the NIL seems like it encourages more of the stupid bravado and foolishness during intros. I’d much rather see the team walk onto the court together with quiet confidence and play with cohesiveness. Eliminate the NIL concept and reduce the peacock behavior and all the conscious and unconscious resentments that go with it. Let the pros compete individually for endorsements. Not a sermon, just a thought. Okay- a sermon.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
With NIL rules are the players allowed to sell shirseys that look like our actual jerseys? Or can they not say George Mason or something like that?

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’ve moved from being skeptical of the NIL concept to disliking it, for similar reasons that I dislike the hoopla and fuss during player introductions at the beginning of games. Both pander to 20-year-old male egos and discourage values like humility and teamwork. Players look foolish when they roll onto the court thumping their chests and high-fiving teammates at the beginning of the game, only to lose the match by 20 points. I guess I’m trying to compare two very different things, but the NIL seems like it encourages more of the stupid bravado and foolishness during intros. I’d much rather see the team walk onto the court together with quiet confidence and play with cohesiveness. Eliminate the NIL concept and reduce the peacock behavior and all the conscious and unconscious resentments that go with it. Let the pros compete individually for endorsements. Not a sermon, just a thought. Okay- a sermon.
Isn’t the best time to learn those lessons, if you had not previously, when you are 18-20 and in college?

I’m sure what you described wanting to see is available on most D2 and 3 teams.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Agree. However the days of humility, team first, and just being good instead of flashy are long gone. When kids are ranked in 4th grade and are touted on You Tube as being the next Magic, Michael, Larry, or Lebron when they are in sixth grade, it's downright impossible to get them to understand the concept of team and self sacrifice. 8 year olds these days are out for themselves. What the average kid doesn't understand is that 99% will never get past high school or college. I am currently watching Last Chance U (Season 2) on Netflix and it's astonishing, but not surprising, to me that guys talk more about what they feel they are entitled to instead of going out and earning it.

Also beginning to hate the portal. No one sticks around to earn their spot on the team. But, things are what they are so KE has to find the FEW kids out there who are willing to pay the price.

Welcome to the old farts club! ;)

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The Patriot Nation Collective is the exception to this. Our players are receiving their payments on time. They will get their next scheduled payment this weekend.

The Patriot Nation Collective even posted in response to the tweet above.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
i personally believe that there are only a few players and a few schools that will benefit from NIL. There is little value in corporate support beyond the first 2 or 3 players on the team. Rich alumni/program supporters will funnel cash to players/programs for the recruitment and retainment of key players. Everyone else will be selling t-shirts and signed jerseys.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
To the old farts club ;-), the players used some of their NIL money to pay for the following ad that was part of the ceremony at which CKE was inducted into the Missouri hall of fame.
1671211183416.png

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
i personally believe that there are only a few players and a few schools that will benefit from NIL. There is little value in corporate support beyond the first 2 or 3 players on the team. Rich alumni/program supporters will funnel cash to players/programs for the recruitment and retainment of key players. Everyone else will be selling t-shirts and signed jerseys.
Our own Patriot Nation Collective contradicts your belief. The proceeds are split evenly between all of the legally eligible players.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Our own Patriot Nation Collective contradicts your belief. The proceeds are split evenly between all of the legally eligible players.
i agree that it is a good thing to do; but is that the way that other players at other universities are operating with their NIL money?

Does the freshman QB who just got $100k split that with the other 84 scholarship players?
How does Josh split his free car lease with the other players?

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Is anyone surprised?

Nothing wrong with a sermon!

Agree. However the days of humility, team first, and just being good instead of flashy are long gone. When kids are ranked in 4th grade and are touted on You Tube as being the next Magic, Michael, Larry, or Lebron when they are in sixth grade, it's downright impossible to get them to understand the concept of team and self sacrifice. 8 year olds these days are out for themselves. What the average kid doesn't understand is that 99% will never get past high school or college. I am currently watching Last Chance U (Season 2) on Netflix and it's astonishing, but not surprising, to me that guys talk more about what they feel they are entitled to instead of going out and earning it.

Also beginning to hate the portal. No one sticks around to earn their spot on the team. But, things are what they are so KE has to find the FEW kids out there who are willing to pay the price.

Welcome to the old farts club! ;)
I'm a proud member! Medicare ain't bad!

The Patriot Nation Collective is the exception to this. Our players are receiving their payments on time. They will get their next scheduled payment this weekend.

The Patriot Nation Collective even posted in response to the tweet above.
Good for us!

To the old farts club ;-), the players used some of their NIL money to pay for the following ad that was part of the ceremony at which CKE was inducted into the Missouri hall of fame.
View attachment 1588
Very cool!

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
i agree that it is a good thing to do; but is that the way that other players at other universities are operating with their NIL money?

Does the freshman QB who just got $100k split that with the other 84 scholarship players?
How does Josh split his free car lease with the other players?
Why should it? Those that have put in the effort to make themselves more valuable will, in general, will get more, as it should be. But, as an example, Josh and Ticket who I believe both have deals with Kathy, frequently drive the other guys to events, etc., so it does benefit the others. It has the potential to benefit all, though, just like the Mason Patriot Collective. I urge all who can afford it to do join to reward our guys for their hard work.

I am surprised people are so against NIL. There will always be downsides of of everything, and if that is all you look for, that is all you will see. There are so many upsides to this, the few issues are far outweighed, in my opinion. Anything that puts money directly in the athlete’s pockets is for the better. Some of these guys are nearly destitute beyond their room and board. That is partly what lead to the infamous credit card theft incident years ago. Before Josh had his car, he had no easy way to get home even his parents only live about 25 miles from campus.

NIL is here to stay, regardless, so might as well embrace it and help make it what you want it to be.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m all for the NIL. I bet coaches hate it and more college coaches will be trying to get nba coaching gigs now.