NIL Thread

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

This seems like blatant play for pay to me.
$13M???
Tennessee, another poverty program gave a QB $8million as well. It is happening a lot especially in SEC and especially with QBs. Bijan Robinson could be seen frequently parking his Lambo in downtown Austin as he got that as a part of his NIL deal

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Before Carolina tipped off against Syracuse yesterday, The New York Times came out with an article talking about NIL in the NCAA. The focus of the piece: North Carolina athletics ($$$).

Complete with a picture of Armando Bacot exiting his Carolina Blue Audi Q8 — which appears to be a custom color as it’s one you can’t see available for the vehicle — Bruce Schoenfel dives into the issue of NIL and how its changed college athletics, both for the good and better. Rather than going around and hitting up a ton of other colleges, he spends his time focusing on UNC.

The piece is a good summation of a lot of issues in college sports right now: inequity in college sports funding both in the TV contracts and how sports are paid, issues of advertising, and the shifting of funds going from university-controlled groups (The Rams Club) to NIL collectives (Heels4Life) and how that could affect other sports.

---

The whole article is a long read, but worth it. Some of the highlights include:
The acknowledgment that both Armando Bacot and Caleb Love are earning six figures from their various NIL deals.
  • Matson acknowledging that while she may have been one of the most visible Olympic sports athletes at Carolina, her NIL deals are but a sliver of what football and basketball players earn.
  • An actual look at the numbers earned both by football and how much it costs to operate field hockey.
  • A discussion about the advertising conflicts that NIL can bring to an athletic department.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

This seems like blatant play for pay to me.
$13M???
this is downright CRAZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
329554476_891555258833390_2343697158304649430_n.jpg

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Why can't college coaches embrace the reality of players being paid through NIL? |

Opinion​

It remains confusing that coaches are still trying to out-Mr. Clean each other over name, image and likeness when the rest of the world knows there is a financial component to the recruiting process.​

Dan Wolken
USA TODAY

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
  • The NCAA handed down a ruling against the University of Miami women’s basketball team in the first NIL infractions case. Hurricanes coach Katie Meier was sanctioned because she “facilitated” a meeting between booster John Ruiz and top NIL earners Haley and Hanna Cavinder.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I have no idea where Mason stands relative to the rest of the A-10. But this could potentially divide college sports into the have and have nots.

1) Should fans reallocate their donations from the University/BBall program to the NIL Collective.
2) After paying $2000+ for season tix do fans have and want to give an additional $1000 to keep certain players?

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I had posted this article in the Miami thread a couple days ago - but the KE storm took over.

Players need to be paid, but I'm confused how Mason or even the vast majority of programs can keep up with some of the fortunate Jones. Nice to have a billionaire who drops $10m into an NIL and can afford to pay a player $800k. 100% for the success some of the players have in social media and other endorsements, but not a fan of this type of pay for playing (unless Mason has a billionaire out there willing to do the same).

Last edited:

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I had posted this article in the Miami thread a couple days ago - but the KE storm took over.

Players need to be paid, but I'm confused how Mason or even the vast majority of programs can keep up with some of the fortunate Jones. Nice to have a billionaire who drops $10m into an NIL and can afford to pay a player $800k. 100% for the success some of the players have in social media and other endorsements, but not a fan of this type of pay for playing (unless Mason has a billionaire out there willing to do the same).

This will/has to change soon or college sports will meet its demise. There's been a lot of pressure and buzz around this topic lately and how out of control its gotten so I expect an overhaul to eventually occur. Whether that's tighter regulations/guidelines or some sort of monetary cap, but who knows how long it'll take the NCAA to get it right.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
This will/has to change soon or college sports will meet its demise. There's been a lot of pressure and buzz around this topic lately and how out of control its gotten so I expect an overhaul to eventually occur. Whether that's tighter regulations/guidelines or some sort of monetary cap, but who knows how long it'll take the NCAA to get it right.
The second the ncaa limits power 5’s in NIL is the second they leave! This was set up as a last ditch effort to keep the ncaa together. One way or another they will always get their money. The question is do they share the tv money or do they just form their own power league and leave everyone else behind? You can’t hold down people making the money! Football will decide all!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
There is nothing like the NCAA Tourney. We as Mason fans know it well. And now, Mid Majors do not fear anyone. MM's create the upsets and drama that make the Dance what it is. If the big boys wanna kick out MM's, then the money may not dry up, but the sport will be ruined. Who wants to see the same old schools, who are now stuffing money into kids pockets, play over and over again each year bc their boosters have a complex/sickness?

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

with only $100k split between the team
the better players can get more than that from other schools

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

with only $100k split between the team
the better players can get more than that from other schools
Thus the new world of college basketball where P6 schools will just buy the better players from the FAU and GMUs of the world. Until one of our fans becomes a billionaire, just expect our better players will get bought by a P6 school.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Thus the new world of college basketball where P6 schools will just buy the better players from the FAU and GMUs of the world. Until one of our fans becomes a billionaire, just expect our better players will get bought by a P6 school.

Yup. We develop them, they bring them in and reap the rewards. It is what it is.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
How about our own illustrious and infamous alumnus, El PiKapo. I hear he's loaded ... maybe not with money, but loaded nonetheless.
Hah! - I am setting up monthly giving to the NIL - what more do you want. But I don't have drug lord money - that is GMUBrian - he has fast cars, a harem, and private vaults.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
None of us are billionaires. But the NCAA is going to take away billionaires just handing out piles of money for players to just…be on the team anyway. We have to be patient for this landscape to settle in.
Agreed - I think the strongest approach is to have a board base that can give regularly .