Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Dave Paulsen

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by GMURaider, Mar 30, 2015.

1. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Tear down the catholic campus ministry! Replace it with a tiddie bar!! Home game attendance skyrockets!
  2. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

That’s not gonna be taken well with our 500 year old fan base
  3. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY All-American

I wonder if you know CCM used to be the Kappa Sig house...in essence, it was
    Old Man and mhAdmin like this.
  4. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-Conference

Exorcisms were done on the grounds after the sale. ;)
  5. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Yep the stories got passed down back in our undergrad days. Missed opportunity not having Greek life closer to campus, but I guess that doesn’t fit with Masons vision for the school anymore.
  6. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Yeah the big one was a plan to make University a fraternity row, but it was never very realistic. Property owners with skyrocketing value alone...

Imagine driving down University, parties and grilling in the yards, etc. as you enter Mason. Part of the last major football push...

Then they just sealed University. Cant blame 'em though.

Masons problem in general is zero tradition. Mason Day almost might as well be a county fair now.

Same story, University doesn't like something, changes it constantly, net no tradition achieved.
    DJ3 likes this.
  7. Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8 Hall of Famer

I remember a lot of Hairy Buffalo parties there.......
    Old Man and Patriotsince81 like this.
  8. Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8 Hall of Famer

It doesn't fit with a lot of schools - pressure related to liability in many universities has clamped down on that.
  9. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-Conference

South Pacific was epic as well.
  10. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

Do you seriously believe that 50% of the posters on this board are not Mason alums?
  11. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

Someone just did a post like a month ago about “how we became fans of mason basketball and our origin stories” and over a bunch of responders to that board went to other schools. Just going off of the facts of that post. Some were either from nova and went elsewhere or moved to nova during their adult life post college. I was shocked as hell. More than half the people I’ve talked to in gold room attended other schools and mason is their local team but not their favorite.

I was told you weren’t a mason brad either but I’ve never heard that come from your mouth just from others on the board. It doesn’t make you any less of a fan but I understand not getting as upset over crap when it isn’t your school
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
  12. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Mic drop
    PoorManProfit likes this.
  13. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Spot on.

Unfortunately Mason is still seen as a commuter school. I have a simple solution to help shed that that reputation. Freshman residents should not be allowed to have cars on campus. My freshman roommate was from Mclean and went home every weekend. He wasn’t the only one either.

Imagine if Mason forbid freshman residents from having a car. They would be “stuck” on campus and hopefully become more involved in campus life.

This would improve the parking problem, and hopefully less drinking and driving related incidents
  14. JPgmuswim

JPgmuswim Starter

Mason will always be a commuter school, too much money not to be. It was gotten much better though since my freshmen year in 98-99. If they want kids to stay on campus there just needs to be a reasons on the weekends to stay on campus.
    I loved my time at Mason but in being part of the swim team we were in our own little “athlete” bubble, when we weren’t training we were hanging out and partying with the other teams. If I didn’t have that I probably would have wanted to leave campus too and my experience would have been much less enjoyable.
  15. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Thats interesting if a lot of the people on these boards/gold room aren't alumni. IDK I think a lot of people just sell tix and bring friends to the gold room though.

Good thing I suppose although probably also an indictment on how we entertain/bring along young alumni/students. I do think Mason AD dept. has done a pretty good job of community outreach though...maybe?

Sure commuter school explanation above has something to do with it as well.
  16. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

I mean mason will be whatever you make it to be. If you want to be a party animal you most likely won’t like it. I had a roommate who did mason for academics and thought radford was the best. He left every weekend and couldn’t wait to transfer. I worried about everything regarding campus life before 2003 because of what I heard and I quickly learned I wasn’t the only one from far and wide. In fact most of my freshman floor was from a distance away so we made our own fun and trouble.

I suspect it’s only improved since then too. I mean this is 17 years ago already.
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
  17. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

Sure was. We made bank on that sale . However, the subsequent rumors of exorcisms were really nightly orgies with AOPies and Alpha Phi's.
  18. Mason32

Mason32 Sixth Man

Imagine not being the largest university in VA anymore....

You should be on the BOV!
    sleeperpick, gmujim92 and JPgmuswim like this.
  19. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Grow up
    PoorManProfit likes this.
  20. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

He’s not wrong. Get rid of commuters and Mason’s enrollment would plummet.
    sleeperpick likes this.