Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Coronavirus Pandemic Impacts

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Pablo, May 13, 2020.

1. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

Which 6 sports would you drop?
  2. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

See edit
  3. Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels Hall of Famer

Conference membership may require a certain number of scholarships and teams fielded in for certain sports.

I have zero first hand knowledge on it but I'd be really surprised if that's not negotiated when a new school joins a conference. Or else what's to stop every school from dropping their lower performers and instead focus on where they're most regionally competitive and profitable only?
  4. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

No clue either... But I know we can get down at least 2 sports (1 male/1female)... We technically have 20 while I know for a fact other A10 schools have 18... Quick google search didn't help much to see if we could go lower than 18 though
  5. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

I don't remember what year VCU dropped sports, but it's down to 15.
  6. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

Well then 15 seems to be the mark. I was judging the age old A10 teams before vcu and mason came in. Who knows what VCU was able to do to skirt the rules
  7. Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels Hall of Famer

Dude, that's Will Wade's old home. You really think Mason is going to get on that level of skirting the rules? They're playing 3-D Chess over there on rule-skirting while we're over here hoping to say "King Me!"

It's a pipe dream. It's Chinatown.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  8. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

I feel you haha. Worst case scenario we can still cut two sports and be just fine
  9. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

I haven't seen the A10 bylaws, but I'm assuming that VCU is 1 sport over the minimum.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  10. gmutom

gmutom Hall of Famer

I'm pretty sure they also dropped academics. :cool:
  11. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Can't drop something you never had...
  12. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

I disagree on dropping men's cross country and lacrosse. Mason can excel in both sports, and the former is essential for Mason's best sport (track and field). The question that I would ask is whether Mason is committed to replacing or significantly upgrading Spuhler Field (including adding lights). If not, then why not consider dropping baseball?
  13. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

Correct me if I’m wrong but mason is not known for long distances runners as it is. The best track members are not also members of cross country to my knowledge. And I honestly couldn’t care if we were good at women’s lacrosse or not so I just say get rid of it. What would you suggest for 6 sports getting the axe?

I wouldn’t get rid of baseball but with how bad the facilities and team are maybe that is an option.
  14. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

I know one of the other facility upgrades that Brad has done were the dugouts at the baseball field. Also before this pandemic one of the big targets for giving day was the baseball scoreboard.

Baseball is probably not going to be dropped.
  15. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

This really isn’t that difficult if Mason’s admin is willing to take the short-term PR hit.

Keep: Basketball (M/W), Soccer (M/W), Track (M/W), Volleyball (M/W), Swim and Dive (M/W), Baseball, Softball, Wrestling, Women’s Lax.

Everything else, see ya.
  16. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Personally, I don’t even think it would be THAT big of a PR hit. With everything going on, and schools cutting left and right, this would probably blow over in a few weeks. Give scholarships to everyone currently on scholarship on all of those teams for the remainder of their undergrad or say you will help them arrange transfer options, and then when they have all graduated you’ve washed your hands of any financial obligations to those programs that are undoubtedly losing you money year in year out.

I’ll be surprised if we do it.
    mkaufman1 and gmujim92 like this.
  17. KAOriginal

KAOriginal All-Conference

We barely support our basketball team. No one will lose sleep if we cut other sports and just meet the minimum requirements.

Honor scholarships for 2 more years (only freshman have to make real decisions)....or help arrange transfers.... so no one is totally screwed.

Wash your hands and be done with the chaff.
    MasonSAE4, gmujim92 and gmutom like this.
  18. The Great PATSby

The Great PATSby Starter

I've been thinking this for years. You gotta also keep XC though if you want to maintain a solid track program.
  19. KAOriginal

KAOriginal All-Conference

Track is dying. E Sports is the future!
  20. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

I know many people assume that but I think they’re wrong. Distance runners literally have daily opportunities to train — they don’t need a cross country season to keep up with their mileage.