Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

2020-2021 Schedule Thread

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Five Two, Dec 5, 2019.

1. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Just got an email from the president of ASU who said we are planning on resuming in-person classes on August 20th right now. Thought this is relevant as questions surrounding fall/winter sports starting up on time has been flying around latetly. Obviously, this will be done state by state and university by university, but just thought I'd share what we're planning on doing.
  2. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-Conference

Radford has announced they will open in August.
  3. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

Good news all around!
  4. Leesburg Chankenstank III

Leesburg Chankenstank III All-American

Yea, they've been dealing with Viruses, STD's for a long time. They're prepared.
    mason89, Dawgs99, mkaufman1 and 5 others like this.
  5. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

Wouldn't it be nice if the following tweet was about Mason (vice UR)?

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

Source: Richmond will host Northern Iowa on December 2nd in the start of a home-and-home series. Return game in Cedar Falls in 21-22.
    8:45 AM · Apr 29, 2020·TweetDeck
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  6. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I've loved our series with UNI when we had them; Wichita State, too. Just like with recruiting, I think Paulsen needs to change his scheduling philosophy and increase the profile of our OOC.
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  7. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

You’re telling me you don’t think beating long wood American and a service academy by 3 each year. Or losing to them.... isn’t a good OOC approach ?
    PoorManProfit likes this.
  8. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Might help with our recruiting if kids thought they’d showcase against better talent than AU in the nonconference.
  9. mkaufman1

I love those games, they show me THIS IS NOVEMBER :cool:

In all seriousness its probably hard to get those midmajor games considering where Mason has been record wise but I'm sure there is someone willing to play Mason. That can't be an excuse and they have to find a way to get it done. The scheduling philosophy has been kookoo.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  10. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

But resources. Teams don’t want to play here because of lack of resources
  11. JPgmuswim

JPgmuswim Starter

The current philosophy is to schedule cupcakes until conference play so that even when we don’t preform in conference play our final record is above .500 right?
    DJ3 likes this.
  12. Five Two

Five Two All-Conference

I would have to disagree that the philosophy is 'kookoo'. We may not like it, but its done by design. They know what they think the team can handle. Would you rather be 11-2 in the OOC playing a schedule like this past year or go 5-8? I get wanting to play better teams but I also don't like the meltdowns here with every loss. Regardless, there is a method to their madness with the schedule
  13. mkaufman1

Ok let me clarify. Perhaps kookoo was a bit extreme and off my rocker.

From what I have seen this year, I've seen it not be such a good philosophy. Sure they know what they are doing, or so we think. However, so far its lining up to be once again one of the weakest schedules in all of division 1. With a young team like last year? That is fine.

But with this squad where you have all the seniors and juniors? I scratch my head. I hope they adjust the remaining games they have to help with buy games like Maine Navy American and Bryant. I'll wait and see but I'm not impressed so far. Why such a weak schedule of buy games with the team we have?

Ha right. I got your humor but I'll refrain from going down the road with you because its the offseason and we can debate resources and that stuff for the next 5 months lol.
    Five Two likes this.
  14. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-Conference

We will be undefeated this fall, 2020. That's because the earliest we will play is Jan. 1, 2021. Then we can go 4 - 14 in conference and be as irrelevant as always. I hope I'm wrong on both counts.
    GMU1983 likes this.
  15. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Agree, every schedule has to have cupcakes, but to have 80% of your nonconference as a cupcake when you have a senior laden squad, something isn’t right. If somehow we were top 4 in the A10 next season and missed an at large because of SOS I think I would explode.

Also, scheduling the Maine’s of the world isn’t exactly going to put butts in seats. At least the JMU/ODU games have historical followings. This non conference schedule isn’t going to bring in a casual basketball fan.
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  16. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

·
    Apr 29

Sources: Several power conference programs are putting stipulations in guarantee games for next season that if no fans are in attendance, the mid-major school will only receive travel costs and not the normal guarantee. Another effect of the coronavirus.
    jessej likes this.
  17. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Woof. Kinda defeats the purpose of taking those buy games. Idk how a lot of these smaller conference schools are going to fund their ADs with everything happening. Hell I don’t know how mason is going to find a lot of the AD if things keep going in that direction. Gonna see a lot of student fees shooting up I’d imagine.
    FreeGunston12 likes this.
  18. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Probably has more to do with us being a quad 3 game (either home or away) and thus useless for mid-major OOC SOS (what we're harping on right now). It's also sad we haven't even broken in to a top 130 team to at least give the enticement of at least decent Quad 2 road game to a solid mid-major.

The last decent mid-major team we got to play us was Vermont, and I bet they were disappointed where we wound up on the OOC SOS chart
  19. mkaufman1

Yeah, I'm not really bitching and moaning about JMU and ODU, its more the "Bryant/Maine/American/Navy" group of buy games, just seems super super weak. 1-2 games is fine like that, even 3, but that combination in general, woof. Maine is one of the worst teams in D1, and the other 3 I don't think are even below 250RPI.

I'd also be in the "I'll explode if the OOC prevents an at large" camp
    tblack33 and sleeperpick like this.
  20. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

I don't mind the Navy game, at least people know Navy is D1 haha
    mkaufman1 likes this.